Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 12:21 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,605,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheLookout View Post
You have it all wrong. You should have said "why is every demographic other than white conservative heterosexual Christian males always under attack?"

Also, I agree that as a whole black women are less attractive, though there are always exceptions. If such was not the case, why do black guys spend so much time and energy trying to bed white girls. But this is just my own ignorant, racist observation.
"..why do black guys spend so much time and energy trying to bed white girls."

Probably for the same reason slave masters did back in the day to black women.

I do notice that it's mostly white men that pay attention to how many white girls black men bed or try to bed (as you put it).

Old 05-31-2011, 12:30 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Can't even say that I read this entire thread but just chiming in to say that I am a black woman with hair longer than the the girl in the picture. Funny that some people think they're experts on things that they have no experience with whatsoever. Beauty is in the eye in the beholder and personally I have never felt unattractive or unwanted and I have been approached by men of many races so clearly not everyone thinks that black woman are unattractive.

The article is stupid but not surprising. Ever notice how the caucasian damsel in distress in every romantic comedy has a "strong black woman" who happens to be single and not even thinking about a man as her sidekick giving her advice on how to get get her man? Why is it that people only want to see loud black women who don't know who their baby's daddy is on tv? We see some of this from white women but it is the exception, not the norm. It is annoying as a black woman to see black women portrayed this way all the time.
Wanted to totaly agree here. I have relatively long hair (should length) and my hair is VERY straight, hence my previous comments about wishing it was nappier. And the above description of the "strong black woman" is totally on point and is the reason for a lot of negative stereotypes of black women that for some reason people fall for. I have had plenty of people tell me that I am not a "typical" black woman. But most black women I know are like me. I am very typical in the way I act and carry myself.

Wanted to add that Gabrielle Union is also a typical looking black woman IMO. She has plump lips and a wide nose. I have known plenty of women to favor her. She does straighten her hair, but she flat irons it and does not use chemical relaxers. I have noticed a trend amongst black women, that the use of chemical straighteners is declining and that is a wonderful occurrence IMO. Oprah does not have a weave and has natural hair as well that is flat ironed. Black woman can have long flowing hair if they want to and not all of our hair is nappy. My hair is not nappy unless I put products in it to make it nappier and even then it is not nappy enough IMO. I cannot wear an afro anymore because my hair is too long and will part down the middle and fall to the sides naturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I know exactly what I'm talking about and you hate what I'm saying but I couldn't possibly care less. I know for a FACT that black women all over the world spend billions of dollars annually trying to straighten, lighten and extend their hair in order to improve their appearance. They go through great lengths and spend enormous amounts of money to look less like a "typical black women". They get nose jobs to lessen the wide, flat nose that is pretty typical of a black woman. Just look at successful black women that you see in the media, in print, on screen... they overwhelmingly do NOT look like the majority of average black women. There's nothing wrong with a person doing whatever they want to alter their looks but please don't try to act like it's something only white women do.
I agree that you do know what you are talking about when it comes to haircare. Black women do spend billions of dollars on their hair. It is sad that even though the trend currently is for us to wear natural hair and I hope it sticks) , that the prevalence of the attitude about nappy hair being "bad" and ugly is still VERY pervasive in America as a whole, this includes black Americans. Because of this, nappy still gets a bad wrap. Black women without nappy hair have historically been thought of as more attractive and this has been passed on throughout the generations in a lot of families. Also, wanted to add, since no one has mentioned it, that black women do get looked over for jobs in professional environments if they wear nappy hair. I even know that I cannot go to an interview with twists in my hair because people do judge on looks and I would be less likely to get hired. I have worked in HR departments at various companies and know this to be true. It has been proven in many studies that more "attractive" people are hired more than those shown to be unattractive. Since so many people see nappy hair as unattractive it would be evident that those of us wearing natural hair styles may be overlooked in certain jobs which is also one of the main purposes of black women, especially those in higher level professional positions, use extensions and relaxers in order to be more mainstream.

On the whole nose job thing, that is not something that the average black woman does. Hair straightening is one thing, but the most prevalent plastic surgery for black women is tummy tucks, lypo suction (most popular for everyone) and breast lifts, not nose jobs. So hair is the main way that black women change their appearance in order to match a standard of beauty.

Also wanted to point out that the comments I bolded above go again back to what mainstream society views as "attractive." The reason why they overwhelmingly don't look like the average black woman is because they must adhere to the idea of beauty of mainstream America if they want to have a broad appeal and be successful. Wanted to also add that I don't think that the majority of female white celebrities look like the average white woman either.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:37 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
There very much is a a typical black woman just like there's a typical white woman and a typical asian woman. Denying that there are typical attributes associated with women of certain races is ignorant. Nobody said they all look the same, don't get so upset...
I'd love to know what characteristics these women possess. A Tamil woman doesn't look anything like a Uighur woman, and she in turn looks nothing like a Japanese woman, and she in turn looks nothing like a Malaysian woman. Yet all are Asian.

I could make the same comparisons with different black and white ethnic groups.

I think the term ignorant fits more with your post.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
"..why do black guys spend so much time and energy trying to bed white girls."

Probably for the same reason slave masters did back in the day to black women.

I do notice that it's mostly white men that pay attention to how many white girls black men bed or try to bed (as you put it).
Yes, some folks have an almost pathological focus on this issue.......

Old 05-31-2011, 12:42 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,857,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I'd love to know what characteristics these women possess. A Tamil woman doesn't look anything like a Uighur woman, and she looks nothing like a Japanese woman, and she looks nothing like a Malaysian woman. Yet all are Asian.

I could make the same comparisons with different black and white ethnic groups.

I think the term ignorant fits more with your post.
Would you consider skin color to be a physical characteristic? What about bone structure?

Old 05-31-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Would you consider skin color to be a physical characteristic? What about bone structure?
I would.........and in the examples I cited, none of those women's characteristics would be remotely the same. How do you determine which is "typical"? I'll tell you how. You can't.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I would.........and in the examples I cited, none of those women's characteristics would be remotely the same. How do you determine which is "typical"? I'll tell you how. You can't.
Of course many would be very similar, we're talking about "typical" here, not exactly the same. A typical black woman would have dark skin pigmentation, of course there are different shades of dark and a small number are very light and very dark but on average black women have dark skin. Would you at least agree with that basic bit of logic or will you continue to fight anything that resembles logic for the sake of being difficult?

Old 05-31-2011, 01:00 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
Quote:
Of course many would be very similar, we're talking about "typical" here, not exactly the same. A typical black woman would have dark skin pigmentation, of course there are different shades of dark and a small number are very light and very dark but on average black women have dark skin. Would you at least agree with that basic bit of logic or will you continue to fight anything that resembles logic for the sake of being difficult?
So Susan Boyle or Kirstie Alley are more attractive than Kerry Washington or Queen Latifah because they have White skin?

Old 05-31-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So Susan Boyle or Kirstie Alley are more attractive than Kerry Washington or Queen Latifah because they have White skin?
How on earth is your statement/question related to what I posted?

Old 05-31-2011, 01:03 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times
This is not the first time an Asian has caused widespread outrage by publishing an overtly racist viewpoint towards black people. In this very forum there are a couple of outspoken Asians whose target is invariably black people. Of course physical attractiveness is subjective. I will say this much, however. Sports stars and celebrities cross-over for the same reasons anyone else does. The black men that crossover nearly always do so towards white women and it has nothing to do with any perception that white women are physically more attractive. It is the realization that with this particular white woman can be found acceptance. Asians rarely give that kind of acceptance to black men but it has been known to happen. What the author should have done is tell the truth and he would still have his job: black men and women have the lowest and next lowest social standings in developed countries and this colors their perceived physical attractions both in themselves and by other races. In a highly politically incorrect and highly subjective (but educated) ranking of races by physical attractiveness black men and women would not be at the bottom... Asians would. Maybe this is why Asian men are so angry in general and at black men in particular.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies