Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 10:15 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,148,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
And some of us prefer some meat on the bone compared to those "hollywood" types that look like Calista Flockhart on crack. That ain't pretty to me, when I can see your spine through your chest.

There are many beautiful women of color that do not get HollyWood parts b/c they are too "thick" in the right places. Its also why you see a bunch of 5 foot 1 actors that look weird standing to a RARE tall actor like Vince Vaughn.
I understand what youre saying and I agree. But I was talking mainly in the sense of facial features. Imo, anyone who gets plastic surgery of any sort isn't attractive, unless it's for medical reasons

Old 05-31-2011, 10:17 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Easily. People of all races in this society have been raised with white supremacist European values in terms of what is attractive and what is not.
Yes of course, any man who doesn't find back women attractive are racists and it's because of European white supremacy. It couldn't possibly be because some men aren't attracted to obese "thick" women with nappy hair even if she is proud of her looks.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:19 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,550,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
I understand what youre saying and I agree. But I was talking mainly in the sense of facial features. Imo, anyone who gets plastic surgery of any sort isn't attractive, unless it's for medical reasons
Gotcha

This thread needs pics

Old 05-31-2011, 10:20 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,578,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I didn't state any such thing, I'm simply saying that while you can pick a handful of black women who have long, natural hair I can point out a few million who do not but spend millions of dollars trying to get it. Someone in this thread already said that having nappy hair isn't a negative stereotype, I don't understand how pointing out something that happens naturally could be seen as a negative stereotype when some people are actually proud of having nappy hair.

If you want to talk about the beauty of black women don't hand pick the few who have very unusual characteristics which make them look a lot more like other races, stick to the overwhelming majority of nappy hair having, proud black women and you'll have better luck with your agenda.
You have no idea what you are talking about. And this is the classic example of someone who takes half-baked knowledge of what they think they know about Black women and spew it as truth. So as soon as I post a truthful contradiction to your post, all someone like you can do is deny, tuck and run.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:22 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,340,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Wow, one whole Black girl who gets chemical peels. And so that ONE Black girl represents what ALL Black people do? Laughable. Far too many things can go wrong for most Black people to consider chemical peels. And for the most part, we simply do not need to do them because our skin is not prone to getting as many wrinkles.
I never said she stood for all black people.

I also already stated that black women on the whole need less "rejuvenation" because the melatonin in their skin makes them less susceptible to aging. Black women don't get those kinds of surgeries because they don't need them, not because they're self-esteem is higher. That doesn't mean they don't alter their appearances in other ways. What about this is so hard to understand?

Old 05-31-2011, 10:23 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,955,238 times
Quote:
FYI, it is obvious that it is her hair when you see that it is parted down to the scalp and the texture of her hair is heat styled, unrelaxed hair.

So you are stating that Black women (who have two Black parents) can not have long, natural hair?

Its really sad that "certain types of people" would rather hold fast to the negative stereotypes regarding the beauty of Black women than to acknowledge that they are incorrect.

YouTube - ‪NATURAL HAIR update WITH RESULTS from A low maintenance regimen‬‏

YouTube - ‪Long natural 4b hair journey‬‏
Can't even say that I read this entire thread but just chiming in to say that I am a black woman with hair longer than the the girl in the picture. Funny that some people think they're experts on things that they have no experience with whatsoever. Beauty is in the eye in the beholder and personally I have never felt unattractive or unwanted and I have been approached by men of many races so clearly not everyone thinks that black woman are unattractive.

The article is stupid but not surprising. Ever notice how the caucasian damsel in distress in every romantic comedy has a "strong black woman" who happens to be single and not even thinking about a man as her sidekick giving her advice on how to get get her man? Why is it that people only want to see loud black women who don't know who their baby's daddy is on tv? We see some of this from white women but it is the exception, not the norm. It is annoying as a black woman to see black women portrayed this way all the time.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,718,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
It is also interesting that black females spend outrageous sums of money on their hair..straighteners, weaves, wigs etc. Oprah doesn't really look like that.
You could say the same for white women...............

Old 05-31-2011, 10:25 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,211,400 times
Quote:
Yes of course, any man who doesn't find back women attractive are racists and it's because of European white supremacy. It couldn't possibly be because some men aren't attracted to obese "thick" women with nappy hair even if she is proud of her looks.
Your response is somewhat tautological. "A man who doesn't find X woman attractive doesn't think this way because of conditioning, but because he doesn't find X women attractive".

That much is...apparent. The question here is why. Some might put forth the postulation that people are wired to find those with similar features to themselves attractive, but the major problem with that is that it doesn't explain why preferences across groups are skewed in similar directions. The only thing that explains such a phenomenon is cross-cultural conditioning.

A long time ago "thick" women were the standard of beauty. Ever looked at Classical art or a Reubens? Whether the ideal skin tone was deathly pale or olive or tanned has also changed with the weather. These standards change with the cultural paradigms, so why is it preposterous that the current standard is influenced by the last few centuries of European influence in the world?

Standards of beauty are even changing with the cultural paradigms today. Just recently is the media now admitting, slowly but surely, that people who aren't European are attractive too and suitable to be in the spotlight. Or could you imagine 100 years ago that it would be widely believed that mixed race people constitute the height of human attractiveness?

Old 05-31-2011, 10:26 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,870,208 times
Quote:
You have no idea what you are talking about. And this is the classic example of someone who takes half-baked knowledge of what they think they know about Black women and spew it as truth. So as soon as I post a truthful contradiction to your post, all someone like you can do is deny, tuck and run.
I know exactly what I'm talking about and you hate what I'm saying but I couldn't possibly care less. I know for a FACT that black women all over the world spend billions of dollars annually trying to straighten, lighten and extend their hair in order to improve their appearance. They go through great lengths and spend enormous amounts of money to look less like a "typical black women". They get nose jobs to lessen the wide, flat nose that is pretty typical of a black woman. Just look at successful black women that you see in the media, in print, on screen... they overwhelmingly do NOT look like the majority of average black women. There's nothing wrong with a person doing whatever they want to alter their looks but please don't try to act like it's something only white women do.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:26 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,752,238 times
Quote:

You forgot to add the three inch fingernails and mouth that swears like a sailor with an attitude to match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies