Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 06:42 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Obama has. He wants to "invest" in education.
The new buzzword is "invest", not spend.

Obama calls for investments in education, R&D - Business - Personal finance - msnbc.com
"President Barack Obama says the U.S. must invest in research and development, science, and especially education — or risk seeing the technological breakthroughs of the future happen in some other country."
Not at all. Not only is there no mention of any figures or details in your link.

It's just a politician using the term "invest" ...that could be tax breaks or diverting funds from existing programs.

In fact, the link specifically mentions private investment coming from corporations.

No new entitlements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 06:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Not at all. Not only is there no mention of any figures or details in your link.

It's just a politician using the term "invest" ...that could be tax breaks or diverting funds from existing programs.

In fact, the link specifically mentions private investment coming from corporations.

No new entitlements.
I wager there will be secret slush funds to appease DC like was found in the Defense Bill.

Congress will not give up funding their pet projects.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:50 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Liberals, who never seem to understand that we have a spending problem, not a revenue problem, should probably evaluate the above information. Never in the 20th century (or 21st) have politicians used any increased revenue to reduce the debt.
Incorrect.

Quote:
The last five Democratic Presidents, Clinton, Carter, LBJ, JFK, and Truman all reduced the debt, and ... the last four Republican Presidents, GW Bush, GHW Bush, Reagan, and Ford all oversaw an increase in the country’s indebtedness.
The Republican Party and the National Debt | Angry Bear - Financial and Economic Commentary

Also:

U.S. Federal Deficits, Presidents, and Congress

Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1993, when President Clinton pushed his budget through Congress (with no Republican votes, and with Vice President Gore breaking a tie in the Senate), the tax rate for the top bracket was increased from 31% to 39.6%. At the time, the federal deficit stood at $240 billion (in 1983 dollars). In President Clinton's last year in office, the deficit was $10 billion (in 1983 dollars). Then George Bush was elected, and the deficit started to climb.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:52 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
He's got it in his head that if he screams loud enough that the middle class must except having their benefits cuts so that the rich can keep their Clinton tax cuts that he'll persuade people.

It's funny considering that he lives on a limited income. ....It's like they worship they rich.
I've never understood folks who are so steadfast in thwarting their own self interest. It makes you question their sanity.

Frankly, the graph, which I will continue to post early and often, clearly and abundantly illustrates where the bulk of the deficit comes from.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I wager there will be secret slush funds to appease DC like was found in the Defense Bill.

Congress will not give up funding their pet projects.
Whatever.

Funding on education now are later is chicken feed compared to the bloated military budget and the money that could be gained from restoring the raises in taxes on the rich a few basis points.

That's were the money is....right wingers can moan all they want about some pissant programs for the poor....they don't amount to squat.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I've never understood folks who are so steadfast in thwarting their own self interest. It makes you question their sanity.

Frankly, the graph, which I will continue to post early and often, clearly and abundantly illustrates where the bulk of the deficit comes from.
Keep doing it. That's why I post the NYT do-it -yourself-budget. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...s-graphic.html

Do you realize how many lies and B.S they would try and get away with here if you didn't post that?

They're shameless.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Tax bills in 2009 at lowest level since 1950

The "spending problem" we have in this country comes from two wars, the Bush tax cuts, and spending by the federal government specifically designed to help the economy (stimulus, auto bailouts, etc.). The other half of the equation is the sharp drop in federal revenue.

Stop the wars and the Bush tax cuts.
Wrong.. Tax bill in 2009 lowest level because the economy is at the lowest level. Spending, has nothing to do with tax bills, they are unrelated. The Bush tax cuts did NOT increase the deficit. Revenues remained relatively THE SAME. The ONLY WAY to increase revenues is to broaden the tax base, or broaden the economy.. If you disagree with me, take it up with the Obama debt commission who also says the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Frankly the graph is wrong.. Almost laughable. Revenues remain rather consistant, about 18.5% of the GDP regardless of the tax rate.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:17 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Keep doing it. That's why I post the NYT do-it -yourself-budget. Budget Puzzle: You Fix the Budget - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

Do you realize how many lies and B.S they would try and get away with here if you didn't post that?

They're shameless.
Yeah, if only we lived in a static economy, then the link you keep providing, would hold some value.. As it is, we're a dynamic society, and I laugh at your link everytime you post it.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:27 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Keep doing it. That's why I post the NYT do-it -yourself-budget. Budget Puzzle: You Fix the Budget - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com
How did I miss that!!!!

I slashed very program and didn't touch taxes and I'm still $418 billion short for 2015.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:32 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
"Now Dems go meet Obama on budget..new revenue is the answer

Fools at the helm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies