Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:11 PM

707 posts, read 1,022,970 times

Advertisements

Well I just watched Cantors news conference and as expected, he was very vague, but whoo whoo, they have a blue print with no details, no figures but a lot of digs at both the President and the Congressional Democrats budget...
But remember those same Corporations that are taking jobs out of the United States...Well they should be happy their getting massive tax breaks. Take a look at the transcript from Boehners press conference, Its hilarious can't wait for the video

GOP Budget Proposal: Massive Tax Cut For Wealthy

Its like someone telling you, i have blue prints for your results, there better than the other guys, the other guy results have too much detail and too many figures, our results are much better, they'll cut out a lot of the cutting, where? we'll tell you next week.

Maybe intead of going to the Spears concert or having beef briskets down the street from the white house, those same republicans should have been working on the budge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 12:15 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,582,915 times
I'll reserve judgement. If the budget contains tax cuts AND spending cuts, I might support it.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:17 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Massive tax cuts are the answer - along with spending cuts.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I'll reserve judgement. If the budget contains tax cuts AND spending cuts, I might support it.

Thats just it, there is no proposal, they have a blue print.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:20 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
It is guaranteed to contain tax cuts for the wealthy and even more borrowing than Obama's plan. I would prefer a budget that provided plenty of infrastructure spending, support for rail transport and improvements to national recreation lands paid for by borrowing and an steep increase in the top tax rates for the folks in the 85 percent bracket and above.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Massive tax cuts are the answer - along with spending cuts.

did you read the article? Tax cut is for the wealthy...

Old 03-26-2009, 12:30 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
It would help if they also provided an idea of what the cost of tax cuts would be. Tax cut is an easily bought rhetoric, rarely questioned, so they don't need the feel to. And when they did the last time around (in 2003), the associated cost was $726B, and were frowned upon. Tax cuts have also shown to increase deficits. It happened under Reagan in the early 80s (recovered just a little after he raised taxes later, and especially around 1987-88), and then again under Bush.

An argument could be made that neither Reagan nor Bush made spending cuts to go with tax cuts, but then, if 10% spending cuts were made to go with tax cuts that reduced revenues by 10%, we would have a status quo, and left completely at the mercy of businesses' plan to help recover the economy, at a time when they are the ones cutting down investments and hiring (especially at home).

This, while ensuring a status quo on policies (especially energy) that guarantees another debacle due to backward thinking down the road.

Even though taxes were extremely low under Bush than under Carter, Reagan, Bush Sr and Clinton, it also happens to be the only presidency under which the income showed a negative growth, lending went up exponentially (created the bubble, and savings was taken off the table with low interest rates). It helped create a fake economy, and kept the economy out of recession solely on the strength of housing market (bubble). The economy was never healthy under Bush, it never recovered since the 2001 recession was thru.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:49 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,976,623 times
Tax cuts are meaningless without spending cuts. I will agree that the GOP is out of touch with basic economics if they think tax cuts will really help without simultaneous spending cuts.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Tax cuts are meaningless without spending cuts. I will agree that the GOP is out of touch with basic economics if they think tax cuts will really help without simultaneous spending cuts.
ding ding ding we have a winner.
you got rep.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post

You know what, now i believe we have a debate. Now i believe that we're starting to see that both sides need to get their acts together and come up with a workable budget, workable stimulus plan, workable bill for EVERYONE and stop working in a vacuum and acting like children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies