Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you increase consumer demand?
Tax cuts for the rich 2 5.56%
Deregulation 15 41.67%
Ban Abortion 3 8.33%
Ban Gay Marriage 3 8.33%
Supply Side Reaganomics don't work you idiot. We need a government infrastructure stimulus 13 36.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:18 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,345,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
zero sales tax days.

start producing things in the USA.

put AMERICANS to work FIRST.
As a retailer, I know first hand that "no sales tax sales" are meaningless. But you're right...it's something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 03:24 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,218,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I know this forum is full of right wingers so I'd like to know what your solution is to increase consumer demand.
None of those, consumer demand is a function of demographics. If we had a nation of 30 somethings who had kids and low amounts of debt we would see demand.

As it is we have an aging demographic saddled with debt, a maturing tech revolution and a hunker down personality younger generation.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:43 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,349,639 times
Ban Abortion
Ban Gay Marriage
Supply Side Reaganomics don't work you idiot. We need a government infrastructure stimulus
What were U thinking? How do you increase consumer demand?
Unable to answer this poll!

Old 06-13-2011, 04:02 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,335,170 times
Quote:
I know this forum is full of right wingers so I'd like to know what your solution is to increase consumer demand.
Making better products for lower prices?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:11 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,955,274 times
Well take the 1.2 trillion that the top 412 people in the country are worth and redistribute...yeah I said redistribute to the middle class. Depending on your definition of the middle class that would mean anywhere from 3,000 to 12,000 per person to spend. That would stimulate demand. We could leave the top 412 some money..maybe a few million a piece.

Hey you asked and this would definitly stimulate spending, which would stimulate demand. Unlike the stimulus package that went to the banks who are still sitting on the money, this would go to people who would actually put it in the system. The only condition that would be put on the money is that it could not be used to pay off debt, which of course has no affect on demand.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:31 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,462,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Well take the 1.2 trillion that the top 412 people in the country are worth and redistribute...yeah I said redistribute to the middle class. Depending on your definition of the middle class that would mean anywhere from 3,000 to 12,000 per person to spend. That would stimulate demand. We could leave the top 412 some money..maybe a few million a piece.

Hey you asked and this would definitly stimulate spending, which would stimulate demand. Unlike the stimulus package that went to the banks who are still sitting on the money, this would go to people who would actually put it in the system. The only condition that would be put on the money is that it could not be used to pay off debt, which of course has no affect on demand.

Honestly I think that's garbage.

The wealthy are already taxed higher than any other group.

Redistribution of wealth is tantamount to communism.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Honestly I think that's garbage.

The wealthy are already taxed higher than any other group.

Redistribution of wealth is tantamount to communism.

The question was what would help consumer demand. Are you saying that it would not. I think I would buy a new jet ski, golf membership. I can think of a lot of things I could spend 10K on, can't you. Of course you don't have to take your share. I can think of even more that I could do with 20K. Hell, I might even buy an american car.

And you are wrong that the wealthy are taxed higher than any other group. The very wealthy make most of their money off of capital gains, which is only taxed at 15%.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:35 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,218,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post

On what basis is it ok to steal their property?

How do you split up assets, especially financial assets and real estate holdings without destroying the value of said asset?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
On what basis is it ok to steal their property?

How do you split up assets, especially financial assets and real estate holdings without destroying the value of said asset?
We are talking about the 412. Most of the wealth is tied up in holdings, commodities, stocks etc. pretty easy to liquidate. I am being charitable, they can keep the land. We may lose a thousand each, but I believe in charity.

The question was what would stimulate demand. I am answering the question. I can think of nothing else that would be more effective.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:39 PM

59,118 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
What a bunch of stupid choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies