Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you increase consumer demand?
Tax cuts for the rich 2 5.56%
Deregulation 15 41.67%
Ban Abortion 3 8.33%
Ban Gay Marriage 3 8.33%
Supply Side Reaganomics don't work you idiot. We need a government infrastructure stimulus 13 36.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:27 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,903,245 times

Advertisements

[quote=calibro1;19575834]2) We know that deregulation doesn't lead to more jobs or increased consumer demands. We have the New Zealand experiment in the 1980s (deregulation of markets led to a massive spike in unemployment and and increased disparities between rich and poor). We also have seen what deregulation has done in the financial sector. /quote]

What has de-regulation done in the financial sector? I've seen what happens when the government encourages banks to lend to people who shouldn't own a home, and the subsequent decision of banks to recklessly securitize the mortgages due to the fact that they know the government will take the losses (both of these decisions banks would never make, without government intervention), BUT I've never seen what deregulation has done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 09:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Consumer demand will increase when consumers have more money, or feel more "wealthy".

1. tax cuts for citizens
2. tax cuts for corporations and reduced regulations such that corporations have more money and incentives to hire.
3. cutting the deficits- the spectre of the debt is weighing on consumer confidence, as the possibility of further currency devaluation or inflations looms

This puzzles me.

How do you plan on:

a. cutting taxes for citizens and corporations
b. cutting deficits
c. increasing demand

..all at the same time? without identifying a few trillion dollars in spending cuts that "magically" won't affect demand, this combination of ideas is a total fantasy.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:37 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,106,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Jobs!!!! Nothing can do it better than that. Of course, the reason we won't see any of those in Obama's reign is that he won't allow small businesses any time to relax and expand which would create those jobs.

I just couldn't find any choices in your poll that came close other than deregulation and that won't be happening for at least a couple more years.

I would spend a lot more money if i was not so scared of losing my job
its constant fear anymore -
who is the real terrorist-
wall street?
listening to all the political pinheads talking about phantom jobs

stop shipping jobs over seas , bring them back home to the usa

bottom line if i have money from a steady job that i feel SECURE i will not lose i would spend

in addition curtail the property taxes in each state as that takes up a huge hole in my mo. budget

Old 06-14-2011, 09:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
The only thing that would increase this consumer's demand right now is winning the lottery.

Cutting miilitary spending and corporate subsidy along with heavily taxing the rich would do the same for the rest of us.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:41 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,106,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If I had to pick from your poll choices, put me down for deregulation. You should always include "none of the above" or "other" with your poll choices if you want an honest response.

Yeah - to an extent
regulation is okay to protect us but come on enough already

Old 06-14-2011, 09:47 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,955,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The only thing that would increase this consumer's demand right now is winning the lottery.

Cutting miilitary spending and corporate subsidy along with heavily taxing the rich would do the same for the rest of us.
Actually none of the things you listed would increase demand. I am in favor of them all, but you have to add a component to the suggestion...what do you do with the money. If you pay off the debt, it does nothing to stimulate the economy. You pay off the debt when times are good, you don't pay off the debt when times are bad. The money must find its way to the real consumers who will actually spend it, which would increase demand.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:53 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,464,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I know this forum is full of right wingers so I'd like to know what your solution is to increase consumer demand.
Why on earth do you want to increase consumer demand? Spending too much without producing anything is how we got ourselves into this mess. Spending is NOT the problem. Lack of PRODUCTION is the problem. We need to bring manufacturing back to this country and jobs.

Don't believe the Keynsians who say spending is the problem. Spending without commensurate production is what got this country into so much DEBT!

Old 06-14-2011, 09:55 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Spending is NOT the problem. Lack of PRODUCTION is the problem. We need to bring manufacturing back to this country and jobs.

Don't believe the Keynsians who say spending is the problem. Spending without commensurate production is what got this country into so much DEBT!
Awesome. Ever run a business?

Old 06-14-2011, 10:04 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,903,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Awesome. Ever run a business?
Is running a business a prerequisite for expressing an economic opinion? The poster is right, consumption isn't the problem. If anything it was overconsumption (of housing, on credit cards) that caused this issue. There is never going to be a lack on consumption in this country.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:09 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Is running a business a prerequisite for expressing an economic opinion? The poster is right, consumption isn't the problem. If anything it was overconsumption (of housing, on credit cards) that caused this issue. There is never going to be a lack on consumption in this country.
No, but you surely can't run a business with that mindset. Please let me know if you disagree. It seems that to you, a restaurant would do better if it overproduced knowing that to be the right, fiscally conservative, idea to profitability? After all, excessive demand would be a disaster!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies