Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever had an abortion?
Yes 52 18.98%
No 89 32.48%
N/A- I'm a man & will never be pregnant. 133 48.54%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:05 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,249,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
45% will have an abortion? I don't think almost half the women I know will have an abortion or have had one. That seems a bit high. I only know maybe one or two women who have had one.
That probably depends on your age. I don't know about the statistic. I do know more women have had abortions than men know about. Many women have an abortion early in the pregnancy and never tell the man.

Asking a woman if she's had an abortion is like asking a man if he's ever been unfaithful to his wife. They lie, so the statistics are always skewed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 10:11 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,249,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
True. There as just so many women.

I want to know if people would be willing to fund (via tax money) sex education classes and free birth control. No one has touched that topic as of yet.
Then you must be a teenager and have not been reading the CD threads on abortion.

The religious, and the rightwing nuts want no abortions, not even the morning after pill, yet they want to defund Planned Parenthood, which provides easy access to birth control which would PREVENT unwanted pregnancy.

There is no logic to the right wingnut and religouscrats.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:14 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I don't think free bc and more sex ed will stop abortions. It's become common to have casual sex with many people so obviously more pregnancies are going to result. Unless people change their views on that this is just the norm now.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:18 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,917 times
I've been amazed at how ignorant people are about sex and birth control. I say this in good spirit, but they truly don't know a lot about it. If we had mandatory sex education (yearly even) and perhaps even a school nurse that supplied free birth control, maybe that would be a step in the right direction.

I'm Christian, but even I'm realistic. Human beings are going to have sex. We'll never be able to eliminate abortions (realistically), but it would be nice to educate people and help prevent women from having to go through with one because, whether pro-choice or pro-life, it's not something that is fun for a woman to have to endure. I don't wish abortion on any women, but I understand why it may have been necessary in their case.

To date, I haven't met one woman who was thrilled about having made the decision to terminate her pregnancy. I would say half of them are depressed and suffering and the other half are "fine", as in, they have told me they were initially sad, but "got over it".

Old 06-17-2011, 10:19 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Yes. I have. I lost over a million babies today alone through washing them down the drain in the shower.

Skin cells... Get your mind outa the gutter.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:21 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
To date, I haven't met one woman who was thrilled about having made the decision to terminate her pregnancy. I would say half of them are depressed and suffering and the other half are "fine", as in, they have told me they were initially sad, but "got over it".
I bet many are thrilled with whatever life they have now, including their children that they may not have had otherwise.

Nobody is going to tell you they are thilled. Like the other poster said, no man is going to tell you they are thrilled to be cheating on their wife either.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:23 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
You want to concentrate the mental health of humanity in the hands of a few.

What else did you think murdering indiscriminately does?

At least see if they can be one of those mental giants you're willing to murder millions of opportunities a year for.

No, statistically speaking, they'll never amount to anything which happens to be the same value you put on their lives.

Ohh we understand, their life would be miserable if they were allowed to be born. Let's not allow them that life at all.

But wait! Before you do that see if anyone in abject poverty ever created anything that "progressed" (snickers) humanity.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-18-2011 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 06-17-2011, 10:35 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
I've been amazed at how ignorant people are about sex and birth control. I say this in good spirit, but they truly don't know a lot about it. If we had mandatory sex education (yearly even) and perhaps even a school nurse that supplied free birth control, maybe that would be a step in the right direction.

I'm Christian, but even I'm realistic. Human beings are going to have sex. We'll never be able to eliminate abortions (realistically), but it would be nice to educate people and help prevent women from having to go through with one because, whether pro-choice or pro-life, it's not something that is fun for a woman to have to endure. I don't wish abortion on any women, but I understand why it may have been necessary in their case.

No one is thrilled about abortion. Are you for real. So how many do you know that had abortions? And you say half are suffering. So exactly how many? Why do you say half are depressed? Sorry not buying it. I don't know anyone who is depressed who made this personal decision

Old 06-17-2011, 10:38 PM

717 posts, read 899,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

You want to concentrate the mental health of humanity in the hands of a few.

What else did you think murdering indiscriminately does?

At least see if they can be one of those mental giants you're willing to murder millions of opportunities a year for.

No, statistically speaking, they'll never amount to anything which happens to be the same value you put on their lives.

Ohh we understand, their life would be miserable if they were allowed to be born. Let's not allow them that life at all.

But wait! Before you do that see if anyone in abject poverty ever created anything that "progressed" (snickers) humanity.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-18-2011 at 04:35 AM..

Old 06-17-2011, 10:40 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,917 times
I'm not hear to say that abortion causes depression for ALL women or not. I'm just saying that HALF of the women I know are still upset about their decision and the other half generally are not. I believe that you all may only know of women who aren't depressed at all. We don't all know the same people and I'm not anti-choice so hop the hell off the psycho train. I'm just stating that I simply wish it was something women didn't have to decide on and hope to educate our society and provide free birth control to prevent these kind of situations at a higher rate. I'm not being judgmental, so stop obsessing over like half a sentence of mine. I see both sides of the story, but I'm concentrating on what WE, as a society, can do to better things.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-18-2011 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies