Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:53 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
why do we have seatbelt laws,
I have no idea. I certainly don't support mandatory seat belt laws for adults. I thnk if an adult wants to ride in a vehicle in a way that risks his own safety, he should not be stopped from doing so, as long as he isn't allowed to risk someone elses safety.

Quote:
auto insurance laws,

So that people WILL buy insurance, and protect themselves financially from the unfortunate occurance of a car accident. Personally, I don't think the government should have the right to require this either, but we allow it because most people would be bankrupted if they actually had to pay all the costs of having had an accident, and the lawsuits that would follow.

Quote:
and a law that requires a woman wanting an abortion to look at sonogram results before having the procedure.

Completely clueless on this one. I am in favor of people being informed about anything someone else is going to do to them, but I'm not sure what this particular law supposed to accomplish. Are you sure the law requires they LOOK at the sonogram, or does it require that the doctor provide it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 11:57 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post

Completely clueless on this one. I am in favor of people being informed about anything someone else is going to do to them, but I'm not sure what this particular law supposed to accomplish. Are you sure the law requires they LOOK at the sonogram, or does it require that the doctor provide it?
The doctor must describe it to the woman, enough said.
Gov. Perry celebrates abortion sonogram bill | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth
Casper

Old 06-21-2011, 12:02 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Ask this guy if it is O.K. to text while driving....

WHDH-TV - Teen kills man while texting in Haverhill, facing charges

and

Utah Teen Kills 2 While Texting and Driving | TxtResponsibly.org

Oh wait, he is dead....due to some ignorant teen.....

But even then, idiot adults do the same thing....

Man texting while driving when he hit Taunton teen with SUV, prosecutor says - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe

Sometimes you have to push a little harder than just "reckless" driving....
Why? In each of the cases you posted, the person was doing something that is against the law. Do you actually believe that if the law was in place that specifically singled out texting, that boy in Utah would have acted differently? Is there a law on the books in any state that says I can't cut the hair of the guy in the passenger seat while I'm driving? But if I try to do that, do you really think the police will NOT pull me over & issue me the ticket?

Old 06-21-2011, 12:03 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Bush was a cheerleader at a sissy league school. Perry was a yell leader at an Army school.
Ivy = Sissy. Interesting. Yell Leader is a cheerleader.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:09 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,856,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Ivy = Sissy. Interesting. Yell Leader is a cheerleader.
Not at the school where Rick Perry was a yell leader.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Not at the school where Rick Perry was a yell leader.

He went to Texas A&M. He did not go to an army school. He did not go to a military academy. He was a cheerleader at Texas A&M. Live with it.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:16 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,856,185 times
Quote:
He went to Texas A&M. He did not go to an army school. He did not go to a military academy. He was a cheerleader at Texas A&M. Live with it.
I didn't say anything about military or army, I simply pointed out the fact that Rick Perry was a yell leader at Texas A&M. You may have attended or have seen a college from a parking lot which may or may not have had cheerleaders but Texas A&M has a cheerleader squad and a yell team which are 2 completely different groups and they do completely different things. I'll live with the fact that I know the difference and I'm right, you can live with whatever you want to.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I didn't say anything about military or army, I simply pointed out the fact that Rick Perry was a yell leader at Texas A&M. You may have attended or have seen a college from a parking lot which may or may not have had cheerleaders but Texas A&M has a cheerleader squad and a yell team which are 2 completely different groups and they do completely different things. I'll live with the fact that I know the difference and I'm right, you can live with whatever you want to.
Cheerleader.

Don't be so defensive. I don't have any problem with male cheerleaders. I just find it humorous Perry was a Pom Pom warrior. Go team!

Old 06-21-2011, 01:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
They both were male cheerleaders. I thought that was an interesting.

Thoughts?
they have a lot in common, I am sure, but I don't really think the fact they were both cheer leaders is even interesting. What would that mean? They both have 2 children, is that interesting?

Nita

Old 06-21-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
they have a lot in common, I am sure, but I don't really think the fact they were both cheer leaders is even interesting. What would that mean? They both have 2 children, is that interesting?

Nita
No unless their children were also male cheerleaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies