Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:51 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,308,993 times

Advertisements

Under Obama, U.S. Casualty Rate in Afghanistan Increased 5-Fold | CNSnews.com

Quote:
During the Bush presidency, which ended on Jan. 20, 2009 with the inauguration of President Obama, U.S. troops were present in Afghanistan for 87.4 months and suffered 570 casualties—a rate of 6.5 deaths per month.

During the Obama presidency, through today, U.S. troops have been present in Afghanistan for 29.1 months and have suffered 970 casualties—a rate of 33.3 deaths per month
I haven't heard this mentioned in the news. Actually, it is rare to hear anything about Afghanistan these days. Maybe this is why. I can see how Obama would not want the press reporting on a 500% increase in the casuality rate under his watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 11:54 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,351,641 times
It's Bush's fault.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:00 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,088,210 times
What are the corresponding numbers for Iraq?

Oh and one other thing. "Casualties" does not equal "deaths."

Old 06-23-2011, 12:02 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Someone get on the horn with Cindy Sheehan....that rotten no good liberal hypocrite.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:03 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,233,607 times
Step up military operations, add troops, engage more readily with hostile forces, expand your zones of operation, and guess what?

The best way to have low casualties in a war would be to sit like McClellan in the US Civil War and not fight! Doesn't do too much for success, though.

Also, looks like IED deaths have gone way up.

iCasualties | Operation Enduring Freedom | Afghanistan

Old 06-23-2011, 12:05 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Under Obama, U.S. Casualty Rate in Afghanistan Increased 5-Fold | CNSnews.com

I haven't heard this mentioned in the news. Actually, it is rare to hear anything about Afghanistan these days. Maybe this is why. I can see how Obama would not want the press reporting on a 500% increase in the casuality rate under his watch.
I think those casualties can thank the ridiculous rules of engagement imposed on the troops when the orator took over.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,088,087 times
It's to be expected casualties would be higher since action there has escalated substantially since Obama has been office.

This is still no excuse for the media and the drastic difference in coverage.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:10 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
What are the corresponding numbers for Iraq?

Oh and one other thing. "Casualties" does not equal "deaths."

Here is a link, although it does not give a 'per day' breakdown:

Casualties in Iraq - Antiwar.com

I agree, silly thread. The war in Iraq was winding down while war in Afghanistan was going up. Soldiers switched from one venue to the other.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
I'm shocked! SHOCKED I SAY!

Considering that for almost 8 years the Bush administration forgot there was a even a war going on in Afghanistan... and that Obama actually decided to fight one there...

All of you right wing puppets on this board started screaming that Obama "should listen to the generals" I warned you all at the the time to be careful for what you wish for because it was clear that if you increase the number of troops, you are, by the laws of probability, going to see a corresponding increase in casualties, unless of course you thought that additional soldiers were going stay quartered in their compounds cleaning their weapons and playing video games.

I also pointed out that Gen McCrystal's doctrine clearly outlined that the change in the rules of engagement would lead to increased casualties. But despite that, you craven "conservatives" continued to scream "Obama! Listen to the Generals", so he did.

So here we are two years later, and you come back in a state of shock that there has been an increase in casualties

Old 06-23-2011, 12:27 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm shocked! SHOCKED I SAY!

Considering that for almost 8 years the Bush administration forgot there was a even a war going on in Afghanistan... and that Obama actually decided to fight one there...

All of you right wing puppets on this board started screaming that Obama "should listen to the generals" I warned you all at the the time to be careful for what you wish for because it was clear that if you increase the number of troops, you are, by the laws of probability, going to see a corresponding increase in casualties, unless of course you thought that additional soldiers were going stay quartered in their compounds cleaning their weapons and playing video games.

I also pointed out that Gen McCrystal's doctrine clearly outlined that the change in the rules of engagement would lead to increased casualties. But despite that, you craven "conservatives" continued to scream "Obama! Listen to the Generals", so he did.

So here we are two years later, and you come back in a state of shock that there has been an increase in casualties
Hmm the increase in troops ended the war in Iraq hence reduced casualties. Remember the surge and all? Obama thought that he could do the same on a different battlefield and it would work. He needs to go back to playing risk or axis and allies and let the military handle the heavy lifting. Go play golf or vacation or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies