Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 11:52 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I had to go to Maryland. They also love and breath Civil War history but, as a conservative, I had other reasons to want to leave that state.

I could care less that someone has a Confederate flag on their tag. For my New Mexico tags, I don't even sport the NM veterans specialty tag. Instead I take the property tax exemption which I find more valuable.

BTW, someone once told me that my old home county of Angelina was the only county in Texas to vote against seccession. I don't know if that's true or not but I can't recall being taught much about the Civil War while I was in school as a young person there.
That surprises me, as East Texas was the only relatively "Southern" area of the state, where some of the old plantations were.

That reminds me.....have to send in the information to get my new tag stickers, due in October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 11:59 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL You seem like a fellow Texan I'd enjoy having a brew or dozen with...but fer gawds sake, why Lone Star? Maybe the taste of it has improved over the years, the lord...it used to taste like another amber liquid that flowed from something else ...
Dos XXs for me, gracias.

Last edited by Bideshi; 06-25-2011 at 12:55 PM..

Old 06-25-2011, 12:03 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
You know, although I don't agree with it at all, I can somewhat understand folks in the Deep South getting all het up about celebrating the Confederacy. However, Texas was barely in the war.
The last battle of the Civil War was fought in Texas. Ironicaly, the Texas Confederate forces won that last battle.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:20 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,759,412 times
I find it interesting that 9 other states allow these license plates, but when TX proposes them, there is such a big stink about it.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:42 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Dos XXs for me, gracias.
Lone Star will do.....but also Tecate or Corona!

Old 06-25-2011, 12:49 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
That surprises me, as East Texas was the only relatively "Southern" area of the state, where some of the old plantations were.
Yes and heavily tied culturally to the deep south. In fact all my ancestral families came to east Texas from the deep south. All four of my great grandfathers and several of my great great grandfathers fought for the Confederacy out of deep east Texas.

I do seem to recall several of my high school friends having Confederate stickers on their cars but it was not an issue back then. I may have even had one on my 1956 Ford but I've always had a contrariety to non-OE stickers or plaques on my cars or trucks. Most of those young guys didn't even know what the Confederacy was.

I need to research the Angelina County thing. I had only heard this but, having been gone from that area of Texas for so many years, I've never actually looked into the question.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:53 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoal View Post
I find it interesting that 9 other states allow these license plates, but when TX proposes them, there is such a big stink about it.
C

Yep, and the more stink they raise, the more Confederate flags, plaques, plates and tags will be seen. That's the way it works.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:01 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
To me, it's not so much about people's right to display the flag as it is about the notion that the state would even consider sanctioning such a divisive symbol as a reflection of the state's image.

Texas considers Confederate flag license plate | khou.com Houston
I'm AA and the answer is " yes if African-American can have Texas
Tags with African flags on them " can Texan Live With That...????

Old 06-25-2011, 01:18 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
So, let me wind it up (and oh lord, I really hope I can THIS time), by saying I would more than appreciate if others would go back over our exchanges from the beginning, and form their own opinions. Not rep points, but just honest reviews of it all.
I'm going with L210. You said the Confederacy was a major part of Texas history but the civil rights era wasn't. He asked for an explanation which I was looking forward to reading but all you did was dodge the question and insult his intelligence. You claim not to be a racist but the fact that you think a Confederate flag belongs on a license plate while a black panther flag doesn't kind of suggests that you are. Unless you can explain this and quit talking to people condescendingly who ask valid questions about what you say, I wish you would do what you said you were going to do and quit posting in this thread.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:32 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I had to go to Maryland. They also love and breath Civil War history but, as a conservative, I had other reasons to want to leave that state.

I could care less that someone has a Confederate flag on their tag. For my New Mexico tags, I don't even sport the NM veterans specialty tag. Instead I take the property tax exemption which I find more valuable.

BTW, someone once told me that my old home county of Angelina was the only county in Texas to vote against seccession. I don't know if that's true or not but I can't recall being taught much about the Civil War while I was in school as a young person there.
Quote:
On February 23, Texas citizens approved the ordinance by a vote of
46,129 to 14,697. This was almost the same margin by which Texans
had voted for Breckinridge for president. Voters in a few counties voted
against secession. Ten counties in Central Texas where the German influence was strong, some counties located along the Red River, and
Angelina County in East Texas voted against secession
http://teacherweb.com/TX/DeerparkMid...-section-1.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies