Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should low income seniors/disabled continue to get housing assistance
No, they should make sacrifices like everyone else. 4 7.02%
No, they shouldn't have got it in the 1st place. People depend too much on the government 10 17.54%
Yes, these are among the most vulnerable members of our society and deserve our help. 28 49.12%
Yes, but only if the program is overhauled to cut excess spending and prevent abuses of the program 17 29.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 04:17 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The problem is they get TOO much money and need to cut back.

This is just the first one on your list, HUD
"gross budget of $46.344 billion in fiscal year 2010, an increase of
10.8 percent over the fiscal year 2009 budget of $41.833 billion.

Sorry, the dems won't accept we are in debt up to our eyebrows. a 10.8% increase in one year. No way is that justified.
So, we should just cut everything across the board, eh? That's like deciding you are over budget in your personal spending and eliminating the money you pay for groceries because you've been spending too much on that Jaguar and your wife's Paris designer outfits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:14 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
So, we should just cut everything across the board, eh? That's like deciding you are over budget in your personal spending and eliminating the money you pay for groceries because you've been spending too much on that Jaguar and your wife's Paris designer outfits.
They got a large increase "ACROSS THE BOARD". I did some research on the FDA. They got increases ( I think around 4%)EVERY year and then got a 19.4% increase under Obama.
Every gov't agency, I believe, got huge increases in 2010. That is why we have the debt we have now. The increases were ridiculous. I am saying we need to bring them back down to reality.

Having worked for the fed gov't for 20 years I can promise you 10% could be cut across the board and they would never feel it.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:01 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times
Quote:
Currently, low income seniors and low income disabled - those at or below the poverty level - can get housing assistance either through a housing voucher (section 8) or by qualifying for a small apartment in seniors/disabled only apartments administered by HUD.

With the Federal deficit what it is and in the current political climate, many in Congress want to eliminate these programs. This will make many older and/or disabled Americans homeless, and will actually make almost no difference in the amount of National debt.

Do you support these proposed cuts?
Hell no!

Old 06-28-2011, 06:17 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
They got a large increase "ACROSS THE BOARD". I did some research on the FDA. They got increases ( I think around 4%)EVERY year and then got a 19.4% increase under Obama.
Every gov't agency, I believe, got huge increases in 2010.
Excuse me, but what does the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) have to do with the original question?

You "believe" that every gov't agency got huge increases? What? Are you a member of the True Faith Anti-Everything Government Church? Well, you are certainly welcome to believe in anything you want. Rock on.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:36 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,466,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampylle View Post
I do agree that it is quite a bit off that those who suffer such severe symptoms are often the ones who have to jump through hoops and appeals. Aside from the case mentioned I have another close friend who had to fight for over 2 years despite having a diagnosed and documented muscular disorder that actually forced her out of the work force. She too won her case in appeals but it just illustrates that the system has become so paranoid regarding these applications that people who do qualify are often the ones who are having to fight for their benefits.
Exactly. I had to wait 1.5 years and apply three times with total blindness, deafness, severe chronic pain, and arthritis because they kept sending me BS reasons like "you accidentally filled out the same form page twice." It was pretty obvious they were just trying to save money for as long as possible because there was no medical reason they could find to deny me.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:04 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,693,567 times
The republican agenda is a full-blown war on Medicare an Social Security. The average SS benefit is less that $1000 a month. Try to live on that. Now consider that the senior that is doing it also has higher medical costs and many times must choose between meds or food. BTW, the senior is paying $100 each month for Medicare and still has to have a supplement insurance plan plus a prescription plan. So out of the $1000 almost $300 goes just for medical insurance. All the while he rich are getting richer and the republicans want to give them more.

Many of those seniors are veterans of WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. Don't you think we owe them a little something?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:52 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Many of those seniors are veterans of WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. Don't you think we owe them a little something?
To be fair, they are getting a "little" something.

Then again, I don't know that any system we have in place now was intended to fully support anyone but to supplement.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Currently, low income seniors and low income disabled - those at or below the poverty level - can get housing assistance either through a housing voucher (section 8) or by qualifying for a small apartment in seniors/disabled only apartments administered by HUD.

With the Federal deficit what it is and in the current political climate, many in Congress want to eliminate these programs. This will make many older and/or disabled Americans homeless, and will actually make almost no difference in the amount of National debt.

Do you support these proposed cuts?
To some degree yes, but totally free housing no. As for section 8, the biggest problem with that is: the wait, some states the wait list is so long it takes 2 or 3 years to even get the vouchers. To my knowledge America has always provided low income housing for those below the poverty line. The word is the projects...Not always the place one would want to live, but it is better than being homeless.

Nita

Old 06-29-2011, 06:42 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,466,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
To some degree yes, but totally free housing no. As for section 8, the biggest problem with that is: the wait, some states the wait list is so long it takes 2 or 3 years to even get the vouchers. To my knowledge America has always provided low income housing for those below the poverty line. The word is the projects...Not always the place one would want to live, but it is better than being homeless.

Nita
S8 housing isn't totally free. It's on as sliding scale--priced at 30% of your income, minus cost of utility bills. So if you're making $600/month (which is about how much many disabled people receive in SSI) and your utility bills cost $150 then your rent would come out to be $30. During the winter months, you can get a voucher for up to $100 for heating bills. At least this was how it was priced when I applied for S8 in NC in late 2010. The rules may have changed or may vary from state to state, but that's just to give an idea.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:22 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Excuse me, but what does the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) have to do with the original question?

You "believe" that every gov't agency got huge increases? What? Are you a member of the True Faith Anti-Everything Government Church? Well, you are certainly welcome to believe in anything you want. Rock on.
Sorry you didn't understand my post. I said I BELIEVE MOST agencies got huge increases. I used the FDA as an example because it was what I remembered.
I didn't have time to look up HUD.

I noticed you didn't bother. Maybe you were afraid of what you would find.

So here it is;

HUD’s $35.2 billion Budget for FY 2008 – an increase of $1.6 billion over last year’s request.
http://www.hud.gov/about/budget/fy08/fy08budget.pdf

HUD’s $38.5 billion proposed Budget for FY 2009
http://www.hud.gov/about/budget/fy09/fy09budget.pdf

The fiscal year 2010 Budget represents a vote of confidence that this broader transformation can be achieved. As illustrated by Appendix A, “HUD by the Numbers,” the Obama Administration requests a gross budget of $46.344 billion in fiscal year 2010, an increase of
10.8 percent over the fiscal year 2009 budget of $41.833 billion.

http://www.hud.gov/budgetsummary2010/fy10budget.pdf

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act invested $13.6 billion HUD programs
. AKA the so -called Stimulus Act

The latest HUD budget proposal outlines a $48 billion spending program for fiscal year 2012, an increase of more than $900 million from 2010.
HUD 2012 Budget: Increased Outlays Offset by Incoming FHA Receipts

You applied insult is not only childish but, just proves how small minded the left are.

Instead of making accusations why didn't you do a little research to check the fact yourself. You are either too lazy of are afraid of the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies