Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 04:36 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Seems like your friend is from Texas, then, and his wife permanently participates in gay pride parades?

Seriously, ah well, what could anyone say to somebody like you? You are the one who said gays had equal rights. I pointed out that they don't and gave you an example of a married gay couple wanting a green card. Now, you paint the picture of some terrorist stereotype as an example that others are also ineligible for a green card? Or are you trying to point out that laws differ between countries? Still has nothing to do with you saying that gays have equal rights.

I don't know if you are truly stupid or just trolling.
I will point you to post19796361 note that the same applies to your comprehension of my previous message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Those aren't gays. Those are astroturfers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC;19792403[B
]Even some gays abhor this kind of activity. [/b]They know the kind of spotlight it puts on their cause...and it generally isn't positive. Good to know that there are some pragmatics in the bunch.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:18 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I will point you to post19796361 note that the same applies to your comprehension of my previous message.

Oh my, you are not trolling!

That's all fine and dandy, but other countries' laws regarding gays or guns are not important here in the US. YOU are the one who said they had equal rights here in the US and the example I gave you showed that they do not.

A heterosexual couple with the exact same story as the one I told you (legally married abroad, adopted child legally abroad) would be able to get a green card for the foreign partner, a homosexual couple cannot!!! Therefore, your assertion that homosexuals have equal rights is not true.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:40 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Why do marchers in gay pride parades dress in indecent and obscene clothing? Well, because gay pride parades celebrate what is really a disordered lifestyle. In this case, the disorder surrounds sexuality, so it's no coincidence that some marchers look like perverts. The same with the Folsom Street Parade (which is an "S & M" pride parade, marched in by both gays and straights), which must be the most disgusting public event on U.S. soil.

Of course, not all homosexuals are like that...in fact, most are decent people otherwise who would not think of donning such apparel even in a parade.

And about Halloween...yes, it has also become an excuse for young women to dress like hookers. I'm totally opposed to that, too, even as a young, heterosexual male.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Oh my, you are not trolling!

That's all fine and dandy, but other countries' laws regarding gays or guns are not important here in the US. YOU are the one who said they had equal rights here in the US and the example I gave you showed that they do not.

A heterosexual couple with the exact same story as the one I told you (legally married abroad, adopted child legally abroad) would be able to get a green card for the foreign partner, a homosexual couple cannot!!! Therefore, your assertion that homosexuals have equal rights is not true.
Actually, you have made my case better than I could.

1. They do have equal rights. Anything that requires a license is a privilege, not a right, so your example proves nothing other than differing countries have differing privileges as well as laws.

2. There are opposite sex couples who have been married in other countries where the foreign partner was not welcomed in the U.S. and was actually denied entry.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:57 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:

1. They do have equal rights. Anything that requires a license is a privilege, not a right, so your example proves nothing other than differing countries have differing privileges as well as laws.

Haha. Civil laws provide things to people - either protections, responsibilities, benefits, or privileges - which are collectively called civil rights.

If a civil marriage contract provides a benefit (lets say the benefit of not having to pay unemployment insurance tax on your spouse's wages in the case when when spouse employs the other), then that benefit is a civil right. Homosexuals are denied that civil right (and some 1400 others) - they do not have equal rights.

Quote:
2. There are opposite sex couples who have been married in other countries where the foreign partner was not welcomed in the U.S. and was actually denied entry.
Well certainly they have to meet certain immigration standards - proper vaccinations, no communicable diseases, no drug trafficking convictions, etc, etc, etc. The same would apply to gay foreign spouses if these invidiously discriminatory laws banning same-sex marriage were repealed (the law would be applied equally).

Old 06-28-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Haha. Civil laws provide things to people - either protections, responsibilities, benefits, or privileges - which are collectively called civil rights.

If a civil marriage contract provides a benefit (lets say the benefit of not having to pay unemployment insurance tax on your spouse's wages in the case when when spouse employs the other), then that benefit is a civil right. Homosexuals are denied that civil right (and some 1400 others) - they do not have equal rights.

Well certainly they have to meet certain immigration standards - proper vaccinations, no communicable diseases, no drug trafficking convictions, etc, etc, etc. The same would apply to gay foreign spouses if these invidiously discriminatory laws banning same-sex marriage were repealed (the law would be applied equally).
This little excerpt says it -

In modern democratic states, a privilege is conditional and granted only after birth. By contrast, a right is an inherent, irrevocable entitlement held by all citizens or all human beings from the moment of birth

Old 06-28-2011, 06:09 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
This little excerpt says it -

In modern democratic states, a privilege is conditional and granted only after birth. By contrast, a right is an inherent, irrevocable entitlement held by all citizens or all human beings from the moment of birth
No it doesn't. Your excerpt seems to be distinguishing between a civil (or legal) right and a natural (or unalienable) right.

Those are two different things and two different concepts.

Again, the things provided by civil law (be they privileges, benefits, protections, or responsibilities) are civil rights. The 14th Amendment says civil law (and the civil rights they provide) must be applied equally to all.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
Quote:

I see, and if women are not allowed to obtain drivers licenses, they still have equal rights. After all, it's a licensed privilege... Again, we are talking about the US - I have no idea why you keep bringing up other countries. Your point is that gays have equal rights in the US, not in England, or Australia.

Yes, there have been heterosexual couples who get denied. The problem with your argument is that they CAN apply whereas homosexual couples CAN NOT. USCIS determines, based on provided evidence and background checks, to grant or deny such an application. They do NOT make such a determination for an application from a homosexual couple because US law does NOT grant equal rights to them and thus, no such application would ever be considered by USCIS.

Let's try this:

Your argument is that homosexuals have equal rights, correct?

You work for a multinational company and they send you to Belgium to work in their local office for a number of years. While in Belgium, you fall in love with a beautiful woman and marry her. Since your marriage is just wonderful, you hope to have children but, unfortunately, your wife cannot have children. Both of you decide to adopt a child.

After having spent ten years together as a family in Belgium, you are forced to move back to the US and naturally, you want your family to come with you. Thus, you file for an immigrant visa for your spouse with US immigration so that your wife can become a legal permanent resident in the US. None of this is a problem because you have a legal right to file such an application under US law.

Now, take the EXACT same scenario and make the person you end up marrying the same gender as yours. Even though everything else is exactly the same, you cannot file for a US immigrant visa for your spouse. Why? Because you don't have the same rights as the heterosexual couple.

I can assure you that this is my last comment on this. You are so deeply rooted in your position that you are unable to even entertain that it may not be correct even if you have an example right in front of you.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
It's a parade. It's supposed to be outrageous.

Now stop your astroturfing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Why do marchers in gay pride parades dress in indecent and obscene clothing? Well, because gay pride parades celebrate what is really a disordered lifestyle. In this case, the disorder surrounds sexuality, so it's no coincidence that some marchers look like perverts. The same with the Folsom Street Parade (which is an "S & M" pride parade, marched in by both gays and straights), which must be the most disgusting public event on U.S. soil.

Of course, not all homosexuals are like that...in fact, most are decent people otherwise who would not think of donning such apparel even in a parade.

And about Halloween...yes, it has also become an excuse for young women to dress like hookers. I'm totally opposed to that, too, even as a young, heterosexual male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies