Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:45 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Can you imagine Lennon being against gay marriage?
Can you imagine Lennon being against a woman's right to choose?
So how do you know what Lennon's views were on these issues near the time of his death?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 09:54 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Well, if johnny ramone could be a reagan fan, I don't see why john lennon couldn't do so as well..

Which republicans claimed lennon?
Southern Baptists, fer sure.

They constantly demonstrated for him, hell on earth.

Last edited by ergohead; 06-29-2011 at 10:35 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 10:15 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So how do you know what Lennon's views were on these issues near the time of his death?
No one is claiming to know his specific views on all topics, but the OP appears to be implying that Lennon would have related to the Republicans of today. Sorry, Lennon was a creative, brilliant forward thinker and it is highly unlikely that his views would be in sync with the far right wingnuts that comprise the current Republican/Neocon/Tea Party whackadoodles and their backwards view of the world. Only a whackadoodle would believe so.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:19 PM

461 posts, read 556,232 times
People get older, they become more godfearing and religious, and adopt stances generally believed to be in accordance with their rediscovered or newfound faiths, which more often than not are believed to be conservative stances.

I wouldn't buy this claim though. Lennon wasn't even remotely old at the time of his death and if he truly changed I don't feel he'd have been the type to keep that quiet.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:22 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Default Thread failure.

Doesn't really sound like a Republican, but if someone on the internets said he was, I have to say it's true.

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

Imagine no possessions

I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

Old 06-29-2011, 10:29 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Doesn't really sound like a Republican, but if someone on the internets said he was, I have to say it's true.

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

Imagine no possessions

I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world
I also posted the lyrics in an earlier post, but I also highlighted..."No need for greed or hunger"
as if a nowadays Republican can relate to that

AMY GOODMAN: "Imagine" is a song that has tremendous power through the decades, through the ages. After 9/11, it was reported that Clear Channel had it on a list of songs that would not be allowed to be played on their stations, and that was significant, because Clear Channel owns more than 1,200 radio stations in this country.

JON WIENER: Yeah. Well, he does say, "Imagine no more countries. It isn’t hard to do." And he also says, "Imagine no religion. It’s easy if you try." Of course, the Christian right in the United States finds that a completely outrageous statement, and they have been campaigning against that song ever since he recorded it in 1970.

John Lennon 1940-1980: History Professor Jon Wiener Discusses Lennon's Politics, FBI Files and Why Richard Nixon Sought to Deport Him

Old 06-29-2011, 11:09 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
1980 was a long time ago.

Lennon would be a part owner of Sony by now, and deeply into corporate profits. Somebody would have to pay for the Plastic Ono Band's multiple failures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies