Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:08 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times

Advertisements

I live in a small community that is relatively poor. I frequently take my son to the library. He loves it. A lot of people are usually there and the library does a good job of giving people what they want.

Libraries have gone from just providing books and periodicals to also providing access to computers, story reading etc. In a poor community, it gives people access to things that normally would not be availabe otherwise.

This is one of those items that can't really be privatized. Certainly, I guess you could require a membership type deal, but the fact is that the structure and the capital costs of building the facility and the overhead would limit who would want to invest in something of this nature. I don't see any way that such facilities would exist if not for government funding and that would be a huge loss to the communities that support them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 10:09 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Default Should the government pay for libraries?

Only for PUBLIC libraries.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:09 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Wouldn't you rather have the entire library of the ENTIRE WORLD at your fingertips? The Public libraries don't, the Big Businesses don't, Big Government doesn't, and the Judicial courts don't either... Google did... guess who won? Can't be privatized huh? Yeah... that's what they said...

Old 07-01-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Wouldn't you rather have the entire library of the ENTIRE WORLD at your fingertips? The Public libraries don't, the Big Businesses don't, Big Government doesn't, and the Judicial courts don't either... Google did... guess who won? Can't be privatized huh? Yeah... that's what they said...
I don't know if you actually read the OP. Maybe you should try to read it again.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:14 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I live in a small community that is relatively poor. I frequently take my son to the library. He loves it. A lot of people are usually there and the library does a good job of giving people what they want.

Libraries have gone from just providing books and periodicals to also providing access to computers, story reading etc. In a poor community, it gives people access to things that normally would not be availabe otherwise.

This is one of those items that can't really be privatized. Certainly, I guess you could require a membership type deal, but the fact is that the structure and the capital costs of building the facility and the overhead would limit who would want to invest in something of this nature. I don't see any way that such facilities would exist if not for government funding and that would be a huge loss to the communities that support them.

As per the constitution this is left at the local and state level. As you said its a local community library. You would be surpised when your options are local you find good solutions and services.
Lets federal taxes, maybe more local taxes to support things that work for you. Anything can be privatized that question is would you get better service, some costs and newer access to technology before government.
Thou given the option libraries serve a good function and that is knowledge. I just hope they are learning something about liberty before they find another government program to run our lives for us.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
As per the constitution this is left at the local and state level. As you said its a local community library. You would be surpised when your options are local you find good solutions and services.
Lets federal taxes, maybe more local taxes to support things that work for you. Anything can be privatized that question is would you get better service, some costs and newer access to technology before government.
Thou given the option libraries serve a good function and that is knowledge. I just hope they are learning something about liberty before they find another government program to run our lives for us.
I agree that it should be funded at the local level with local taxes, but so many people, including people on this forum are against taxes of any kind. Taxes for the libraries are paid by local sales taxes, property taxes etc, but if you ask for an increase in taxes to support the library because of the increase in population in the communit a lot of times there is a big fuss.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:20 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
If you pay for the internet.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:20 AM

915 posts, read 1,190,665 times
Government should pay for libraries. Our education system is already in such **** poor condition, the end of public libraries would be a tragedy.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:21 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post

Yeah, I think it is societies interest to pay for libraries. I don't think they are God given rights but as long as we can afford to we should. Consolidation probably makes sense. I am not sure every podunck town needs one, many smaller towns could band together to use one.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
If you pay for the internet.
That is my point that Evil failed to grasp. Not everyone can afford the internet or choose not to pay for the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies