Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 12:40 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
It doesn't matter, only that instructions are followed.
And...like the Borg say in Star Trek, "resistance is futile"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 12:54 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
What that says to me is that Romney has been "chosen" this time around.
Yep

Old 07-17-2011, 01:15 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Lol, another one who doesn't understand where these profits are coming from!

Let me help you, increased profits are coming from increased productivity not increased demand. Corporations are agnostic, (as we can see by their political donation patterns) they only care about growth. They will hire when the demand is there.
The demand is there, that is why more and more people are working longer and longer hours.

All from 2011:

Master Lock is not alone. General Electric Co and Boeing Co are also part of the small group of U.S. companies that are boosting production at their U.S. factories. "What you're starting to see is the economics shifting more into the United States' favor regarding sourcing from the United States versus sourcing from a low-cost country," said Daniel Meckstroth, chief economist at the Manufacturers Alliance/MAPI, a Washington trade group.

Orders for U.S.-made durable goods rose 2.7% in January on stronger demand
General Electric Co expects its revenue in India to rise more than 30 % in 2011 In January 2011, GE posted a better-than-expected profit, helped by strong emerging-market demand for heavy equipment.

State utility company Saudi Electricity Co 5110.SE (SEC) has awarded General Electric contracts worth more than $500 million to help SEC add 1,680 megawatts (MW) of generation capacity, the U.S. firm said on Monday.

The outlook for the luxury goods market has improved significantly in recent months, boosted by a stronger-than-expected US and Europe rebound. consultancy Bain & Co said. Bain raised its 2011 growth forecast for luxury sales to 8% after recent sales data from groups such as LVMH and Burberry comfortably beat market expectations. "The surprise was mainly in the US and Europe," commented Claudia d'Arpizio, a Bain partner in Milan.

Shipments of durable goods (such as trucks, computers, machinery, aircraft, … -- donuts are considered nondurable goods, BTW) have been boosted by foreign demand, and, as we wrote earlier, foreign markets account for an increasing share of the durable goods we produce. As further evidence of the importance of foreign markets, according to the Institute for Supply Management’s new export orders index, overseas demand for U.S. manufactured goods has grown for 20 straight months and, in February, new export orders came in at their fastest pace since 1988.

Adidas said soaring demand from the United States, China and Russia for its sneakers would offset a profit hit from the Japan earthquake, allowing it to raise its sales outlook for the second time this year.

Demand for durable goods rose in March for a third consecutive month, suggesting business investment will pick up.

From Business Insider:

I do two things when I get some extra money: I invest some and then look for ways to put it to work to grow my business. The more I have the more I try to grow the business.
General Electric, the nation’s largest
had a very good year in 2010.The company reported worldwide profits of $14.2 billion, and said $5.1 billion of the total came from its operations in the United States.

GE Has Shed US Jobs Since "Jobs Czar" Immelt Took Helm.
(At the bottom of that same report) GE reported better than expected earnings this morning. Shares were up 7.2% in midday trading.

For specifics, by the way, Immelt has reduced GE’s employment by 20% over nine years and, most hysterically, he’s sold off lots of its union run pieces.

In 2009, CNN Money ranked GE number 12 on the Global 500 with 323,000 employees. In 2010 they were ranked 13, dropped a point from number 12, and they had 304,000 employees. So Mr. Immelt got rid of 19,000 employees from 2009 to 2010. So I kept looking. In 2011 ranked 16. Employees, 287,000. So I didn't do the math here but at 2009 we're at 323, this year 287,000. Since 2009, GE has reduced its payroll by 36,000 employees. While paying no taxes on $5 billion of income, its CEO tells businesses at the US Chamber of Commerce to stop complaining about government and start hiring people while he is firing people.

GE swears its workers are more productive even though these meetings and side tasks consume as much as an hour a day of workers’ time. The plant has tripled production since 2000 to 1,800 engines a year while less than doubling the headcount.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:33 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
They need to make sure their insurance policy is up to date. Who knows when they will create another economic collapse and need the American people's money to recover?
Some insurance policy, the thugs from treasury had to strong are financial institutions to force them to take tarp money. Which of course was paid back with interest. The mob would blush at their lack of finesse.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
The demand is there, that is why more and more people are working longer and longer hours.

All from 2011:

Master Lock is not alone. General Electric Co and Boeing Co are also part of the small group of U.S. companies that are boosting production at their U.S. factories. "What you're starting to see is the economics shifting more into the United States' favor regarding sourcing from the United States versus sourcing from a low-cost country," said Daniel Meckstroth, chief economist at the Manufacturers Alliance/MAPI, a Washington trade group.

Orders for U.S.-made durable goods rose 2.7% in January on stronger demand
General Electric Co expects its revenue in India to rise more than 30 % in 2011 In January 2011, GE posted a better-than-expected profit, helped by strong emerging-market demand for heavy equipment.

State utility company Saudi Electricity Co 5110.SE (SEC) has awarded General Electric contracts worth more than $500 million to help SEC add 1,680 megawatts (MW) of generation capacity, the U.S. firm said on Monday.

The outlook for the luxury goods market has improved significantly in recent months, boosted by a stronger-than-expected US and Europe rebound. consultancy Bain & Co said. Bain raised its 2011 growth forecast for luxury sales to 8% after recent sales data from groups such as LVMH and Burberry comfortably beat market expectations. "The surprise was mainly in the US and Europe," commented Claudia d'Arpizio, a Bain partner in Milan.

Shipments of durable goods (such as trucks, computers, machinery, aircraft, … -- donuts are considered nondurable goods, BTW) have been boosted by foreign demand, and, as we wrote earlier, foreign markets account for an increasing share of the durable goods we produce. As further evidence of the importance of foreign markets, according to the Institute for Supply Management’s new export orders index, overseas demand for U.S. manufactured goods has grown for 20 straight months and, in February, new export orders came in at their fastest pace since 1988.

Adidas said soaring demand from the United States, China and Russia for its sneakers would offset a profit hit from the Japan earthquake, allowing it to raise its sales outlook for the second time this year.

Demand for durable goods rose in March for a third consecutive month, suggesting business investment will pick up.

From Business Insider:

I do two things when I get some extra money: I invest some and then look for ways to put it to work to grow my business. The more I have the more I try to grow the business.
General Electric, the nation’s largest
had a very good year in 2010.The company reported worldwide profits of $14.2 billion, and said $5.1 billion of the total came from its operations in the United States.

GE Has Shed US Jobs Since "Jobs Czar" Immelt Took Helm.
(At the bottom of that same report) GE reported better than expected earnings this morning. Shares were up 7.2% in midday trading.

For specifics, by the way, Immelt has reduced GE’s employment by 20% over nine years and, most hysterically, he’s sold off lots of its union run pieces.

In 2009, CNN Money ranked GE number 12 on the Global 500 with 323,000 employees. In 2010 they were ranked 13, dropped a point from number 12, and they had 304,000 employees. So Mr. Immelt got rid of 19,000 employees from 2009 to 2010. So I kept looking. In 2011 ranked 16. Employees, 287,000. So I didn't do the math here but at 2009 we're at 323, this year 287,000. Since 2009, GE has reduced its payroll by 36,000 employees. While paying no taxes on $5 billion of income, its CEO tells businesses at the US Chamber of Commerce to stop complaining about government and start hiring people while he is firing people.

GE swears its workers are more productive even though these meetings and side tasks consume as much as an hour a day of workers’ time. The plant has tripled production since 2000 to 1,800 engines a year while less than doubling the headcount.
Clearly not enough to justify hiring more workers. Additionally, american companies have no idea how much those extra workers will cost, due to the vagaries of Obamacare.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
my advice to everyone is dont count anyone out yet, it is far too early in the election cycle. remember that at this time in the 2008 election cycle, hillary was a shoe in for the nomination, and obama wasnt even on the radar.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
my advice to everyone is dont count anyone out yet, it is far too early in the election cycle. remember that at this time in the 2008 election cycle, hillary was a shoe in for the nomination, and obama wasnt even on the radar.
Of course that's true, but Obama is starting in a serious hole.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:50 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Of course that's true, but Obama is starting in a serious hole.
i agree, but he has been there before.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i agree, but he has been there before.
He has? He presided over a 9.2% unemployment rate and a30% increase in the debt in 2 years before? Unlikely, since no President ever got re-elected with such a dismal performance,

Old 07-17-2011, 04:03 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
He has? He presided over a 9.2% unemployment rate and a30% increase in the debt in 2 years before? Unlikely, since no President ever got re-elected with such a dismal performance,
He brought a Bush UE rate of 10.2 down to 9.2, but you're right, more needs to be done. Perhaps additional spending is in order?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies