Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:17 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i agree that full employment is an ideal situation in terms of stability and revenue.

the problem is that, as long as we keep growing the government sector and dragging the private sector down, we have no chance of raising the GDP enough to cover the rising debt level.

i guess what i am asking is are americans who yell more taxes aware that when they want to tax the corporations more, they are going to be paying more taxes themselves?- because the corporations pass those increases on to the customer to continue to be able to make a profit. if they can't make a profit they go out of business and there are less choices for the consumer.

i would like to know what people see when they go out. this is what i see-
more signs for rent on empty strip centers
more for sale signs on empty buildings
malls with less traffic
stores that have been in business for years closing shop

this is central florida and when i went to visit new jersey i saw the same thing in camden county.

i don't know if this is playing out on a national scale, but we better start thinking about how all those lost jobs are going to be replaced.
What we need is big inflation, leading the inflation with upping the minimum wage. Put a freeze on government spending would be a good way to balance the budget. A 200% simple inflation in GDP no need to actual do something like increase productivity just inflate GDP by inflating wages. This is a short term solution. Long term we need to save more money and that will tend to balance trade also it will set us up to get China out of our pockets. (Tin hat time) “They are trying to undo the American experiment and get us inline with their plan. Over the last 30 years we have had a 200% inflation in GDP without a corresponding increase in wages. The difference is in top end compensation. If we get a 200% inflation in GDP by increasing the minimum wage it will undo this wealth transfer.

Save more money it will start to stop the outsourcing. Also put cash into the hands of everyone as this will tend to inflate the bottom end economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 07:06 PM

89,027 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
(Tin hat time) “They are trying to undo the American experiment and get us inline with their plan. Over the last 30 years we have had a 200% inflation in GDP without a corresponding increase in wages. The difference is in top end compensation. If we get a 200% inflation in GDP by increasing the minimum wage it will undo this wealth transfer.
It is a mistake to equate compensation with wealth. The top 1%'s share of the wealth has DECREASED from its high in 1995.

Table 1, here:
Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power

Also, there has been a massive transfer of wealth to the working class over the past few decades...

"This shift of business ownership from rich people to working people may be the greatest economic transformation since the Industrial Revolution.
...So what does all this mean? Well, for starters, it should lead to an end of complaints about the profits of corporations and allegations about 'greedy corporations.' After all, much of that profit now goes toward the current and future retirement incomes of working people."
Business Ownership & Labor Day

Everyone who contributes to or benefits from a 401k, pension fund, mutual fund,annuity, or whole life insurance policy, etc., is a corporate owner, en masse. They own the wealth. They get the profits.

By the way, guess who the US's biggest investor is?

CalPERS, the California Public Employee unions' retirement system.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:52 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
What we need is big inflation, leading the inflation with upping the minimum wage. Put a freeze on government spending would be a good way to balance the budget. A 200% simple inflation in GDP no need to actual do something like increase productivity just inflate GDP by inflating wages. This is a short term solution. Long term we need to save more money and that will tend to balance trade also it will set us up to get China out of our pockets. (Tin hat time) “They are trying to undo the American experiment and get us inline with their plan. Over the last 30 years we have had a 200% inflation in GDP without a corresponding increase in wages. The difference is in top end compensation. If we get a 200% inflation in GDP by increasing the minimum wage it will undo this wealth transfer.

Save more money it will start to stop the outsourcing. Also put cash into the hands of everyone as this will tend to inflate the bottom end economy.
i am not sure that i understand your correlation. inflation would have a detrimental effect on your newly rising minimum wage because, again, it would cost you more to get the same things with inflation.

inflation is just a sneaky way the government collects more revenue. look at it like this-if sales tax collection is up because goods cost more then the government gets more money from you.

maybe you would want to look at some charts here.

we have inflation now.
we have rising unemployment now.
we have a falling dollar now.
Inflation, Money Supply, GDP, Unemployment and the Dollar - Alternate Data Series

the time to actually undo the "wealth transfer" was during the wall street bailout, but that time passed.

we, or i should say our congressional "representatives" ,decided to socialize the losses instead.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:23 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
This is a reasonable good argument for raising the minimum wage to keep up with or leading this process. Also we need the economy at full employment as this will get more tax revenue and reduce the deficit. .

There is a better argument that says we should totally eliminate the minimum wage. Government has no business telling employers what they should pay employees.

Using your logic we could raise the minimum wage to $1 million per hour and eliminate the deficit in a week.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:25 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:

the time to actually undo the "wealth transfer" was during the wall street bailout, but that time passed.

we, or i should say our congressional "representatives" ,decided to socialize the losses instead.

Correct! We should eliminate ALL government subsidies, including subsidies for people, products, foreign countries and businesses.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:37 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Illegal immigration costs us $100 Billion a year. Are you crying about that too? Didn't think so.
Source that?

The solution to illegal Immigration is Prosecute the Employers

Old 07-18-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
i am not sure that i understand your correlation. inflation would have a detrimental effect on your newly rising minimum wage because, again, it would cost you more to get the same things with inflation.
We are going to have inflation no matter what. If we lead it with upping the minimum wage then we can get the price of houses going up not down. This is what I care about getting true inflation and with it full employment. The bottom end wages are being eroded currently. If you up the minimum wage faster than the erosion then the bottom end is somewhat better off. Shadow stats has something like 24% unemployment.
Quote:
inflation is just a sneaky way the government collects more revenue.
That is one very beneficial side effect of the inflation that I am talking about causing. We need to cut the deficit and we need a bigger tax base.
Quote:
look at it like this-if sales tax collection is up because goods cost more then the government gets more money from you.
The government needs more money badly.
Quote:

maybe you would want to look at some charts here.
We are in an unsustainable economic position. We need to change the direction that the economy is headed. And we need to do it back in 2008.
Quote:
we have inflation now.
we have rising unemployment now.
These two together make stagflation the worst of deflation and inflation True inflation would be the price of houses going up with those going down we are all messed up.
Quote:

we have a falling dollar now.
Inflation, Money Supply, GDP, Unemployment and the Dollar - Alternate Data Series

The wall street bailout was just a portent of what will be coming our way. Multiple Botched and Mismanaged Stress Test Have Created The Makings Of A Pan-European Bank Run He just found two banks that are in as bad a shape as the two that failed in the US and triggered the bailouts. The underlying problems remain and they need to be addressed. The money that was given to Wall Street wasn’t real wealth transfer. The real wealth transfer was in CEO compensation and the lack of increase relative to inflation of the workers’ wages. Upping the minimum wage by 4X will undo this wealth transfer.

We need to start spending money again and we need to keep paying down our debts and we need to start saving money.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
There is a better argument that says we should totally eliminate the minimum wage. Government has no business telling employers what they should pay employees.

Using your logic we could raise the minimum wage to $1 million per hour and eliminate the deficit in a week.
It would do that (also repay the national debt in a year) but the consequences would be unacceptable. That would be Zimbabwe type hyperinflation.

$30/hr is sized to push the average wage high enough to support the housing prices at the peak of the last bubble.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:52 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
95% Of Americans Are Getting Poorer Every Year

That's the Repug plan!

Republican/neocons worship the Wealthy as their ONLY gods and insist all the money should go to the top ...

Old 07-18-2011, 09:49 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Americans getting poorer is by design--of Obama and the Democrats. They want Americans poor so they will vote for Democrats and their pie-in-the-sky social welfare programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies