Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:38 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,421,281 times

Advertisements

I think I'm going to have to go with making the head of state the same position as the head of government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 11:41 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,932,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I think I'm going to have to go with making the head of state the same position as the head of government.
Claiming ALL men are created equal then allowing slavery to continue, would have save untold suffering if they had done the right thing from the begining.
Casper

Old 07-19-2011, 11:41 AM

376 posts, read 295,704 times
Not picking their own damn cotton.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:44 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,421,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Claiming ALL men are created equal then allowing slavery to continue, would have save untold suffering if they had done the right thing from the begining.
Casper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient1 View Post
Not picking their own damn cotton.
I should clarify... with respect to setting up the government, the constitution, et al.

Obviously slavery was terrible.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I should clarify... with respect to setting up the government, the constitution, et al.

Obviously slavery was terrible.
OK. I still stand by my answer based on the question asked. If it comes to government the speration of Church and State comes to mind, it would have been better had they made it 100% clear to all that they should be seperate, one being politcal the other personal. I am sure there are other areas that are just as important, the right to bear arms also comes to mind, and the limits on the federal government also comes up. Thing is there was no way they could have covered all the bases for what may come in the future, they were busy buildig the foundation for the rest of us to build upon, I think they did an Excellent Job.
Casper

Old 07-19-2011, 12:54 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,810,847 times
Their belief in good will, that states will play with same rules, limit themselves to same rules, as they wanted the central government to. I feel they did so, assuming pushing too far would complicate the building process and many states may not join the union, but it was still a mistake.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:54 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Casper
Yes, they had a chose to make. If they hadn't allowed slavery to continue there would've been no country.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Yes, they had a chose to make. If they hadn't allowed slavery to continue there would've been no country.
Because?
Casper

Old 07-19-2011, 01:04 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,274 times
And not particularly in any order of importance

1. Slavery
2. Gerrymandering
3. Only giving free landowning white males the privledge to vote and hold office in most states
4. The loser of the election becoming the VP (which of course was fixed)
5. Making it too easy to impeach a president.
6. Having elections in November when parts of the country could have really nasty weather, also only having one day for elections instead of a couple of days.
7. Not giving Congress the power to create an educational system and leaving it up to the states.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:04 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,810,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Many of the leaders weren't keen on continuing the tradition. But they knew that many states will be opposed to the idea. So even the first move towards controlling slave trade was to be effective a generation after the US Constitution was adopted.

Article I/Section 9: Limits on Congress
Clause 1
"The Migration or Importation of such Persons as any of the States now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the Year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a tax or duty may be imposed on such Importation, not exceeding ten dollars for each Person."

I try to give them the benefit of doubt that they were trying to tread on thin ice to try and build the union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies