Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:22 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Again, the scientific literature says there are not too many extreme weather events happening.

and you do know that La Nina is an event of cooling oceans right? you do know that AGW scientists are wondering where the heat in the oceans is right now?
Post the links to the peer reviewed papers along with the journals. I'd be glad to read them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 10:56 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
The strong La Nina has driven much of this wacky weather we've experienced for the last year and half, I agree. What drove the La Nina to be so intense this time? What drives the warming water in the oceans? Many questions, and many questions are being answered with continued research. There are too many extreme weather related disasters happening across the globe for any of us to not question what factors are driving them.

Here is a link to an interesting article that puts some perspective on the situation.
Get Used to New Weather Extremes | Mother Jones
That link does not substantiate its position. It refers to a single event as record breaking, but fails to provide the data it is specifically referring to in order to make such a claim.

For instance, it refers to records being broken all over the place, then gives you a basic link to the NOAA and expects people to validate their claim by going through all the motions of looking up and cross referencing the data to establish it through the NOAA tool. This should be done by them in order to support their point. Why do they not do such?

It is no different than your previous post that everything happening is record breaking.

You are the one making the claim, is it so hard for you to provide support for your claim yourself? I mean, use the NOAA tool, make your argument properly in context, give us some historical trends to explain your point. You can use the NOAA tool right?

Cutting and pasting links and then never entering the discussion expecting everyone else to argue the entire link of a shotgun of claims that are not properly substantiated is lazy.

Look, you have already been caught cutting and pasting other peoples comments from various blog sites in the other AGW thread, please do not take that habit of repeating such poor discussion.

Honestly, pick something. Talk about it, show the trend of data over the years and explain why it is unprecedented.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Post the links to the peer reviewed papers along with the journals. I'd be glad to read them.
Rather a convenient requirement don't you think?

You do realize there will be no "peer reviewed" material for this heatwave until it passes and all of the data is fully analyzed and compared to past occurrences?

I can however provide you with the evaluation of the Russian heat wave to which many were claiming was global warming.

CO2 Science

NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - Natural Variability Main Culprit of Deadly Russian Heat Wave That Killed Thousands

We will have to wait to see the detailed analysis of this season, but it won't be for a while and that will be convenient for all those using it to push politics.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:12 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I hate to break this news to you but there is very clear evidence by reputable scientists who have written peer reviewed papers on the subject that there is NO increase in the number and intensity of flooding, in the number and intensity of droughts, in the number and intensity of tornado's or Hurricanes.

PEER REVIEWED LITERATURE clearly states that these things are NOT on the rise.

in fact, we have seen a dramatic decrease in the number and intensity of hurricanes on a global bases.... at 30 year low in fact.

We are not seeing anything unusual...at least according to the actual scientists who study this stuff....
Peer reviewed literature only counts if it's for the global warming club. If it's against it they have to paid paid for by the oil industry. Don't you know that? At least that's the take I get from the warmers.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:22 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Well 48 of the states are experiencing his heatwave. It could have been predicted if only we listened to Al Gore..

YOU DIDN'T LISTEN....
I blame the previous generation.

GLOBAL WARMING IS HERE!

I blame the republicans....
Actually, you are incorrect. My area, at least, in the northern Mojave Desert of California has been exceptionally cool for this time of year. Our winter started early and lasted at least 2 months longer than usual and our spring was extremely cool and wet. We certainly do not have global warming in this area.

It is my belief that the Earth continually shifts its position which changes weather patterns. Our weather has been cooling in the summer for at least 5 years. I believe the more measurable change this year is probably from the slamming of the earthquakes and Tsunamis such as happened in Japan this spring. Weather is influenced by Mother Nature...man has very little influence ... well, unless he is "seeding the clouds" to cause cloud bursts that are unnatural.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:57 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Here is some interesting reading (that links to multiple peer reviewed paper). This is a blog spot for a highly qualified scientist who publishes in this field and speaks from the authority of a climage researcher...
Roger Pielke Jr.'s Blog: Flood Disasters and Human-Caused Climate Change

This is a quote from the page linked:

"I expect that many will still want to connect the dots between greenhouse gas emissions and recent floods. Connecting the dots is fun, but it is not science. " Roger Pielke Jr.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:08 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Here is a link to Ryan Maue's page. He is a PhD in Meteorology and his focus is in the field of Hurricane research.

http://coaps.fsu.edu/~maue/tropical/

The page has a number of linked peer reviewed papers. As well as Charts that show Hurricans are at a 40 year low.

Quote from the extract of one of his papers:

“During the past 6-years since Hurricane Katrina, global tropical cyclone frequency and energy have decreased dramatically, and are currently at near-historical record lows. According to a new peer-reviewed research paper accepted to be published, only 69 tropical storms were observed globally during 2010, the fewest in almost 40-years of reliable records.
Furthermore, when each storm's intensity and duration were taken into account, the total global tropical cyclone accumulated energy (ACE) was found to have fallen by half to the lowest level since 1977.”

Old 07-22-2011, 05:22 PM

What a surprise, when the facts start coming out, the thread dies. /shrug

Old 07-22-2011, 05:27 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Sure did get pretty quiet in this one didn't it. LOL

Old 07-22-2011, 05:31 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,098 times
To avert power shortages ... power plants should be able to expand. More coal.

We need electricity to run air conditioners.

Heat isn't the demon. It's the whining from the Left that it's "Too Hot".

And it's the Republican's fault. If only the U.S. would get rid of people and industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies