Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:24 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,306,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Obama wants to balance the budget on the backs of Americans by raising taxes
On the backs of 5% of Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
instead of cutting programs which should be cut.
He's agreed to cut programs.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:25 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,052,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
It's become crystal clear now. The only thing the white republicans are interested in is saying NO to everything Obama puts out there. IOW, they want him out at any and all costs even if it means the ruin of this nation. I know if Obama were (all) white things would be different. BTW, I am white.
I don't believe this is true. (I'm not a Republican, by the way.) I DO believe Republicans would rather suffer now (and have everyone else suffer with them) in any way they feel is necessary, in order for them to regain the presidential seat. I don't necessarily think it's a race thing at all and I never have.

But it is about power and about sacrificing -- and forcing others to sacrifice too -- in order to twist things back to GOP as "the" power.

I can't say with 100% surety that that's not the Dem agenda too, BTW. I'm not a politician.

But I feel the whole "it's a race thing" is overblown...I feel it deflects from the real issues at hand. This is JMO.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:26 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,664,943 times
The Cons are going to accuse you of race-baiting, but your assessment is on the right track. I don't think the problem is that Obama is black so much, however. It's that he's a liberal.

Listen to Con rhetoric. For as long as I've been alive, 35 years, they have preached that liberals are seditious, immoral thieves who want to destroy America. They hate liberals. They will not abide liberal leadership. They will do everything in their power to obstruct a liberal government, even if it means bankrupting the country... literally.

The Cons are Cons first, Americans second. I say this because the Cons do not recognize liberals are fellow citizens. They are not interested in peaceful coexistance with liberals. They do not have any interest or willingness in sharing the country with liberal citizens.

This is a real problem. I don't see how we can go on as a nation when so many have this mindset.

I am a liberal. I am also a patriot. I am veteran of the Iraq war and still in the Army. I just happen to think that its good for society to tax wealth. I also happen to think that despite the tired rhetoric, government can be a force for good and can accomplish great things. Government has been instrumental in many of our past national successes. I'd like to see an appropriately sized government for a complex society.

Does this make me a criminal who doesn't deserve any say whatsoever in our democratic society? Apparently so. That's how the Cons feel about it. My patriotism and sanity are questioned daily by the blaring voices on the radio.

I am willing to share this country with fellow citizens who disagree with me. That's the whole basis of a democratic society. Some would like to see tax cuts. Others would like to see tax hikes. We debate. We vote. We abide by the decision of the majority.

Somewhere along the line the Cons quit believing in the basic social contract of a democracy. Where do we go for here? The unthinkable, another civil war, becomes more and more "thinkable" with each passing year.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:27 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,474,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
On the backs of 5% of Americans.

He's agreed to cut programs.
The 5% who pay the highest taxes already.

The 5% who employ the most.

You can't balance the budget on 5% of the population.

And he's not cutting enough.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:27 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,306,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I don't believe this is true. (I'm not a Republican, by the way.) I DO believe Republicans would rather suffer now (and have everyone else suffer with them) in any way they feel is necessary, in order for them to regain the presidential seat.
That is extremely unpatriotic of them. Prolong the suffering of your fellow Americans just for political gain.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:28 AM

782 posts, read 1,110,097 times
I had the same thought today... They will not let him succeed at any cost.

5,546 posts, read 10,011,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I don't believe this is true. (I'm not a Republican, by the way.) I DO believe Republicans would rather suffer now (and have everyone else suffer with them) in any way they feel is necessary, in order for them to regain the presidential seat. I don't necessarily think it's a race thing at all and I never have.

But it is about power and about sacrificing -- and forcing others to sacrifice too -- in order to twist things back to GOP as "the" power.

I can't say with 100% surety that that's not the Dem agenda too, BTW. I'm not a politician.

But I feel the whole "it's a race thing" is overblown...I feel it deflects from the real issues at hand. This is JMO.
I do think that racism is still alive and well. It hasn't been that long since white and blacks had separate bathrooms. I contend that if he were white and his name were John Anderson, and he was tall and stately, he would be getting a lot more respect.

4,919 posts, read 4,842,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
It's become crystal clear now. The only thing the white republicans are interested in is saying NO to everything Obama puts out there. IOW, they want him out at any and all costs even if it means the ruin of this nation. I know if Obama were (all) white things would be different. BTW, I am white.
I know what else you are but I must refrain from going there!
Personally .. I don't give a D@MN if you're a toad!
I am sick of crybabies such as yourself who have nothing to defend the failures of this phony in the white house except .. "You're a Racists"!

Obviously you and other Race Baiter's tend to ignore that some of the Staunchest Republicans .. Fiscally and Socially have much darker skin color than You claim to have!
Give it up, it no longer works!
Quote:
The Obama White House is so irresponsible, and so fearful of locking itself into anything at all, that it’s refusing to even put a debt plan on paper. Rory Cooper tweeted this from today’s WH press briefing:

Chuck Todd: “Release your plan”

Jay Carney: “We’ve shown a lot of leg”

Todd: “Why not just release it?”

Carney: “You need it written down?”

Yes, Jay, the American people elected your boss in the hope that he might occasionally do his job. Show his work. Demonstrate a little competence once in a while. Is that too much to ask?

Old 07-27-2011, 01:29 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,576,434 times
If Obama, or any Democrat of the past half-century (excluding JFK) knew anything about the correlation between tax rates and tax revenue, 310,000,000+ million Americans wouldn't have to watch him cut his throat in broad daylight whenever he opens his mouth.

Getting ripped from certified lefty liberal media members like Chuck Todd & Jake Tapper for not having an economic plan to compare to Paul Ryan's is a blistering indictment of his incompetence and unwillingness to lead.

He should be extremely thankful that Tim Russert is unfortunately no longer with us, since there's little doubt that Russert would have annihilated his economic team, not to mention Obama himself for failing to produce a plan, as well as for his humiliating practice of bowing before other world leaders, which is beyond insulting.

He'd also point out Obama's numerous flip-flops and lies, which are too numrous to mention, as well as mega-failure economic programs such as 'cash for clunkers', which was totally pointless, and yet another attack of the middle-class in this country.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:29 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,052,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
That is extremely unpatriotic of them. Prolong the suffering of your fellow Americans just for political gain.
Oh, absolutely. Beyond.

I just don't think it's because of race per se (or at least not any more). I don't think it's about keeping a black man down. I think the Pubs would want to see Obama go down even if he were plaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.