Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 07:41 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,713,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Yeah, it pretty much is. If the proposal on the table had a grandfather clause, then the issue would be how do we manage the force. Unfortunately, since significantly scaling back the benefits of those of us who are still in, and happened to have spent the bulk of our service during a time of the heaviest rotation of deployments ever, is being put on the table.. this is a debate of if the country is going to honor its comittment to us. We honored our committment to it.
You're joking, the GOP honor it's committments, hahahahahahaha!
As I explained in another thread, they screwed me out of my Army pension four times last year. CRDP is only for those who were not disabled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 11:13 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,380,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

I'd rather pay a teacher than a soldier.
No thank you. Soldiers don't usually get paid to take summers off.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:16 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Oh, you poor baby, have to make unfounded comments against people who think differently from you.
My heart bleeds for you.

Gotta love that maturity level.

I'd like to see the military closed down completely.
All military members are is an investment of out tax dollars for corporate interests.
You made your choice, live with it.
I'd like to see the military shut down also. We all would. But that's not the world we live in, is it?
All this military bashing going on, it's nothing but sour grapes by people like you that are disappointed in their current situations and just plain mad about bad decisions they've made in their own lives.
I don't care what you claim to have done in the military or for how long to have this "insiders knowledge" or whatever you claim it is. People like you are a drain on the military, if you ever were in as you claim. You are just reminding us the military has its dirt bags too.
The next attack on the USA will stop all this stupid talk anyway. Then you and your friends will be screaming at top volumn about the military letting you down.
You must lead a miserable life. I'm done with you.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:09 PM

5,052 posts, read 6,353,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think that as soon as Congress gives up their retirement system this may work but that won't happen. Of course, theirs is a bit better with $174,000 per year for life, free medical care and all the other perks they have dreamt up for themselves.
This is one of those things that comes sweeping around the Internet all the time, gets people like you all riled up and quoting it, and isn't even remotely true.

snopes.com: Congressional Pensions

Congressional Pensions vs. Social Security - Urban Legends

Old 07-30-2011, 03:31 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,771,805 times
Quote:
I didn't chose to be in a war for a decade, desert. I just chose to keep fighting it. Somebody had to. When my number comes up after 20 years, I think I'll be punching the clock. If you want to move the goal post on me in the middle of the game, I think I'll quit playing. I'm far from the only one who feels that way.
I don't blame you. If you do that you'll have several soldiers in critical fields saying it and leaving. You'll get a lot of bodies for infantry but what about intelligence, HRC, missles, nurses, doctors, etc? When those soliders who have 10 yrs and up in those fields leave where will that leave us?

I'm a child of Air Force parents both of which did mostly admin work but they stuck to the terms of deal and got their 20. Military retirement ain't all it is cracked up to be. My mom pays for insurance like everyone else and works 40 hours a week like most of America. Retirement benefits pay helped her out but retirement isn't a cakewalk like some here think. Almost every member of my family who served came out disabled in some form or fashion. One uncle has PTSD b/c a chopper he was supposed to be on crashed, another has a lot of shrapnel in him, and I can tell you more.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:51 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,713,493 times
So rather than tax 25 hedge fund operators who cost us $4 billion a year in unpaid taxes or the Executive who makes 180,000 times the avergae American Salary, we will leave the troops in afghanistan and their Families unpaid. The worst travesty since Neil Bush at Silverado Savings and Loan cost thousands of soldiers their homes during the Gulf War

Old 07-31-2011, 08:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,237,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
Tricare doesn't cover dental, high-speed. That would be Delta Dental. As a retiree, I pay over $100 a month for Delta.
My coworkers get free dental.
That someone that's clueless is you.
Fine...look, i'm not going to argue semantical b.s.

In my original post, i said "reduced dental," genius. That means that they still have dental benefits, but REDUCED from the generosity of free dental that one receives on active duty.

100 bucks a month is pretty damn good and it's obviously better than what you can get on the open market, otherwise you wouldn't be paying it seeing as how you have a choice as a retiree.

Bottom line: You're getting a good ass deal, so stop whining.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,237,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
If you thought military retirement was such a paltry amount, why do you care?
Sounds like sour grapes to me. Maybe you and that chielgril or whatever her name is ought to chat.
Just don't run down others for doing something you never did, for whatever reason.
You've got it twisted playboy...that's not what i'm saying.

I left the military because i didn't like it...it had NOTHING to do with retirement benefits or money. I didn't enlist because i needed the money, i enlisted for the travel, the chance to do something different, and because i wanted to see the Cold War firsthand. I was comfortable before i joined the Army, and i'm comfortable now. Money has never and will never be a major issue for me because i don't need much of it to live.

When i say that the retirement pay wasn't enough to remain in the military, i meant that looking down the road, the pension itself, regardless of the amount, wasn't enough to make me do something for another decade and a half that i really didn't want to be doing. In fact, the retirement didn't even come into play. It was a total non-factor, and if i had to do it over again, i'd do it the same.

As for your sour grapes argument, you're just flattering yourself. Military retirement isn't something worth having sour grapes over. Everyone i've ever known that retired had to go right back to work anyway, so that's nothing to be envious of. My opinion on the matter is an objective opinion based on my observations. I don't hate the military (if i did, i'd just say so...in your face OR online...i'm not a coward) and i don't have "sour grapes," or whatever asenine argument you're throwing out there.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:57 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,868,057 times
it is interesting how people seem more willing to cut SS for someone that actually cointributed to that system but seem to find a military pension untouchable. It is not a common practice to not have people contribute towards their pension, yet the military does it.

I suspect it is also common to have a retirement age as well. and not allow early payments. Even SS reduces what you get if you draw before 65... why give the military everything at 40? why noot put them off until 60?
Why not restructure the plan?

Yes I know they do a largely thankless job that can place them in harms way.... but I also know they joined and were not forced to do so... it was their choice.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:01 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
Quote:
It depends, Laura. If you get promoted to the highest ranks, you can stay past 20.. at my current rank, I can do 26 years. One rank lower than me can only do 20 I think. When I get promoted again, I will be allowed to do 30.
What is the purpose of pushing people out at 20 years? Is it the physicality of the job at those lower ranks? So, you (not you, personally) could go in at 18 and they can force you out at 38. Yikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies