Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 03:38 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,674,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
More insults, cool....and apparently I'm a liar too? Just because you disagree with my ideas and my optimistic attitude doesn't automatically make you some all-knowing being.

Now, what about the fact that its currently illegal for anyone besides the USPS to leave something in your mailbox? You don't think that having to make redelivery attempts would impact the cost for some of these other private companies to deliver to remote areas? If UPS could slip a flat envelope in your mail slot or put it in your mailbox instead of making two more attempts to get someone in person, don't you think that would make the business model a bit more manageable? Or am I still not "being honest" according to your thinking?
The UPS and Fed Ex are allowed to sell their own mailboxes to leave their mail in. People can also leave mail slots that go through their door. So no that will not have a significant effect on their ability to service rural areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 04:06 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,370,302 times
I'm currently tracking a package that I'm waiting for, sent FedEx but handed over to the USPS for the last leg. Tomorrow the USPS will deliver it to my mailbox. That's the thing people don't realize. UPS and FedEx won't go into rural areas. They'll only take it so far then they rely on the USPS which gets little or no credit.

Also, I remember living in Alexandria, VA and watching from a window while a UPS driver threw my package up about a dozen cement steps to my townhouse door.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:22 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,586,090 times
Lightbulb What to do about the USPS?

The obvious solution:

1. cut redundant services
2. streamline operations to reduce needed manpower
3. increase rates if necessary

What's so hard about this?

Old 09-07-2011, 04:35 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I'm currently tracking a package that I'm waiting for, sent FedEx but handed over to the USPS for the last leg. Tomorrow the USPS will deliver it to my mailbox. That's the thing people don't realize. UPS and FedEx won't go into rural areas. They'll only take it so far then they rely on the USPS which gets little or no credit.

Also, I remember living in Alexandria, VA and watching from a window while a UPS driver threw my package up about a dozen cement steps to my townhouse door.
Nonsense. You have that completely backwards. I live in rural Alaska, and the ONLY mail service I can get is FedEx or UPS, and they deliver right to my door. I have to go into to town to get my mail from the USPS because they refuse to deliver it where I live.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:52 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,902,628 times
Look up a little thing called "last mile" parcels. UPS and FedEx are trying to get OUT of the rural delivery business. I know...I deliver many UPS and FedEx parcels daily. And you think they are going to invest multi-billions into a nationwide delivery system to every door? And you CAN send a letter now through UPS or FedEx. What will it cost you...$20 or $30? You can also send 70 lbs of lead in a flat-rate box through the USPS. How much would it cost with the other two carriers?

Anyway, the USPS will change. People will not be replaced upon retirement or resignation. Smaller, non-profitable offices will close. Layoffs will become part of new contracts for EVERY branch of the USPS. You people can b--ch and complain all you want. We aren't going anywhere.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Nonsense. You have that completely backwards. I live in rural Alaska, and the ONLY mail service I can get is FedEx or UPS, and they deliver right to my door. I have to go into to town to get my mail from the USPS because they refuse to deliver it where I live.
So no one in the world can send you a letter via the USPS? Somehow I doubt it considering the USPS takes it via dogsled in some parts of Alaska. http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...ed-mail-alaska

Old 09-07-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
So no one in the world can send you a letter via the USPS? Somehow I doubt it considering the USPS takes it via dogsled in some parts of Alaska. Delivering mail in Alaska by dog sled | Alaska Dispatch
Not that the USPS will deliver, no.

You might want to actually read the article you posted.

Quote:
In 1963, the U.S. Post Office Department honored Chester Noongwook of Savoonga, on St. Lawrence Island in the Bering Sea. He was the last mail driver and with his retirement, regular sled dog mail delivery ended in Alaska.
That was 48 years ago.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:28 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,376 times
I think the post office does a great job. I also think 3 or 4 days a week are enough. If you have a residential or larger size lot they should have their boxes at the street. No door delivery in those areas.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Not that the USPS will deliver, no.

You might want to actually read the article you posted.

That was 48 years ago.
Then what do you do? Do you have a PO box? Is it delivered by plane and you go pick it up? I find it hard to believe that if UPS and FedEx are delivering to your home, that the USPS isn't.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Then what do you do? Do you have a PO box? Is it delivered by plane and you go pick it up? I find it hard to believe that if UPS and FedEx are delivering to your home, that the USPS isn't.
As I previously posted, I have to drive into town to pick up my mail. Only FedEx and UPS will deliver right to my door. And I have to pay extra to pick up my mail in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies