Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If CCB had passed, would our Credit Rating have been cut?
Yes, it still would have. We're just in too deep. 55 36.18%
No. It would have shown we were serious about getting spending under control. 93 61.18%
I don't care, I want to keep spending like it's 1999. 4 2.63%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:45 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times

Advertisements

Passing raises in the Debt ceiling has been done many, many, many times in the USA by Many Presidents with no problems. This time was different. The difference this time was it became a political power game. Congress wanted to show the American people that they would not compromise, thinking that America would look at them as the 'Saviour's' of the American Economy...it backfired. The only thing their intransigence caused was a unnerving in the financial markets. It was a bit like someone going into their Mortgage Company and telling them that they will be unable to pay their Mortgage even though they knew they could get money to pay it. This makes the Mortgage company put a red flag against you, even though you have never missed a past payment. This is why the S&P downgraded America... they said it themselves that the uncertainty caused by Congress, who have now been "hijacked" by the tea party, was a main factor in the downgrade.
This constant partisan one upmanship is going to destroy America.... if anyone thinks the last recession was bad, wait until the next one that will be caused by the "muscle flexing" of the radical tea party..... this downgrade will seem like a slight 'blip" compared to what is to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 09:02 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,570,627 times
As Steve Moore of the WSJ brilliantly pointed out in an editorial in Friday's newspaper, it's Obama's fiscal policies which have decimated our economy since his election; Reagan proved conclusively that deficits are acceptable as long as your policies result in the proper results, such as inflation plunging from 13% to 4% in less than three years.

The fact that the prime rate plunged from 20% (Dec. 1980) to 10% (May 1985) to 7.5% (August 1986) certainly helped the economy & GDP take off, much to the consternation of those downright pesky yet ignorant-as-always Keynesians, as well as KTK (Krugman The Klueless).

Old 08-28-2011, 04:02 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Default Excellent title and so true

If there ever was a time for the "tea party" to rise, it was during the Bush years. But their outrage at having a black man as President obviously drives their agenda. Their participation in Congress has crippled the House, not helped it. They have crippled Congress with their bigoted nonsense, and the result is a crippled economy a la Bush. I think the tea party is facing pure annihilation in '12 as a result. So is the GOP.

As long as this faction has a say, the progress of the country will be crippled. Not just economically either.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:18 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
If there ever was a time for the "tea party" to rise, it was during the Bush years. But their outrage at having a black man as President obviously drives their agenda. Their participation in Congress has crippled the House, not helped it. They have crippled Congress with their bigoted nonsense, and the result is a crippled economy a la Bush. I think the tea party is facing pure annihilation in '12 as a result. So is the GOP.

As long as this faction has a say, the progress of the country will be crippled. Not just economically either.
Yet another ridiculous post.
When you bring race into it, you lose.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:56 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,870,515 times
[quote=A_Lexus;20646961]If there ever was a time for the "tea party" to rise, it was during the Bush years. But their outrage at having a black man as President obviously drives their agenda. Their participation in Congress has crippled the House, not helped it. They have crippled Congress with their bigoted nonsense, and the result is a crippled economy a la Bush. I think the tea party is facing pure annihilation in '12 as a result. So is the GOP.
I have always voted Republican for President since I have been able to vote (first in 1968). I held my nose and voted for John McCain. I had actually thought I might vote for Obama but after I read both of his books and listened to the Audio CD's of him narrating them I decided there was no way in Hell I would vote for him. Some of my friends did vote Obama but I have yet to hear any of them say they will in 2012.

GL2

Old 08-29-2011, 11:15 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Passing raises in the Debt ceiling has been done many, many, many times in the USA by Many Presidents with no problems. This time was different. .
yes this time it is differnt..it pushes the debt past 100% of our gdp

never should have raised it passed 6 trillion

the debt ceiling when liberals took over in 2007 8.6 trillion...debt ceiling now over 16.7 trillion

liberals have doubled our debt in less than 4.5 years

Old 08-29-2011, 01:19 PM

5,346 posts, read 4,049,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
yes this time it is differnt..it pushes the debt past 100% of our gdp

never should have raised it passed 6 trillion

the debt ceiling when liberals took over in 2007 8.6 trillion...debt ceiling now over 16.7 trillion

liberals have doubled our debt in less than 4.5 years
That's because The Bush Administration didn't put the Wars on the books... The current Administration is including the Wars in the budget this time around...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies