Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 08:52 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

And since when is a cell phone an absolute necessity? I mean, seriously, most of us didn't have them before about 15 years ago and virtually no one did about 20 years ago and we SURVIVED! Oh the horror!
Fifteen years ago there was a pay phone on every corner and in the lobbies of all the buildings. Try finding one now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 08:53 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
*burp* ........ anything ya say, Dane.
And with that post, the average information content in your posts actually adjusted upwards.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:53 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Fifteen years ago there was a pay phone on every corner and in the lobbies of all the buildings. Try finding one now.
That's right - a PAY phone. You had to put in some coins in order to use them. These cell phones are FREE.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:55 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Sorry to interrupt your little circle jerk, but this is 2011, not 1985. Cell phones are no longer a "luxury" item and if you're looking for work, they are an extremely useful (or even vital) tool to have. A Metro PCS phone will only cost you $40 a month, which is little more than a landline. In my case, I don't even have a landline, just a cell phone.

There, please get back to kissing one another's asses now. That sums up my contribution to this silly thread
You know what.. there was a time when we didn't have microwave ovens, but we could cook. We didn't have color TV it was black and white with maybe 3 channels, but we could read a book. And wouldn't you know it.. we found jobs.. we donated to charities to help the needy.. and we survived... I would much rather my tax dollars went to feed a hungry child or house an unemployed veteran than to give someone the ability to play Words with friends....

Old 12-16-2011, 08:56 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,353 times
Quote:
Ditto. You need a place to sleep, some bread to eat, or some clothes for your back? I'm glad to help. Your kids need all those things? No problem.

A cell phone? lol....... It's insanity.
What's really sad is I must be the only one left in my generation who doesn't even have one, and I don't care. I see people my age and they cling to it like a life force, so I'm sorta glad I dont have one.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:57 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
And with that post, the average information content in your posts actually adjusted upwards.
*scratch* *scratch* *scratch*

Considering your intellectual prowess when it comes to social issues, and ability to comprehend anything beyond a technical manual, I wouldn't doubt your position.

Junior mint?

Old 12-16-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
*scratch* *scratch* *scratch*
Allergic to facts? Would explain a lot.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Memphis, that's not true and you KNOW that.
AT&T has in fact stopped billing clients for voice calls if they have a data plan. The bandwidth usage is utterly trivial.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:54 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
That's right - a PAY phone. You had to put in some coins in order to use them. These cell phones are FREE.
YOu could make emergency calls on a pay phone for free. But that's a moot point.

The bottom line is this: we are NOT going to actively and purposely leave a % of the population out in the cold when it comes to what is common and expected in society today. WHATEVER that is, WHATEVER will be in the future. We are NOT going to take a disadvantaged population and let them become even more disadvantaged because they can't keep up...they will NEVER be able to catch up. You think pay too much for this then try to imagine a society where nobody was assisted...I mean REALLY imagine it, not the "everyone will go get a job and all will be rosy" fantasy. And that really what these kinds of programs do. Nobody is getting all the good stuff for free that you have to pay for, this is limited service with simple phones that have basic features. This is the kind of thing we have always done and will always do. It's the cost of civilization people so complain all you like, it won't change a thing.

There is corruption and waste in these social programs, what we need to do is focus on that.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:09 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The bottom line is this: we are NOT going to actively and purposely leave a % of the population out in the cold when it comes to what is common and expected in society today.
Expected?? I expected a lot of things when I was little. Didn't necessarily mean I got them. When we started taking the NEED out of the social programs is when those of us paying for them started getting fed up.

Quote:
There is corruption and waste in these social programs, what we need to do is focus on that.
I do not disagree with you one bit there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies