Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 01:09 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,905,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
I guess it comes down to WHO you know, right?

When you know several hard working Americans who pass on a cell phone because they have to put food on the table, this type of thing tends to tick you off a bit.

Now, with my knowledge of technology I fully understand WHY this is not cost effective, and is in fact gratuitous. You folks might not, but I'm pretty much done trying to make you understand.

Whomever is responsible for letting this go through will not get my vote the next time they're in an election. This whole program is absurd, and a slap in the face to responsible people who work for a living. No wonder why so many conservatives are foaming at the mouth lately.
Your knowledge of technology? Bah! Humbug!

It's cheaper for me, personally, to have a cell phone than it would be to have a landline. Period.

And the fact that that is true, means the same can be true of others. Since you don't know the situation personally of every person getting one of these cell phones, your blanket assumptions about them are invalid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 02:00 PM

46,978 posts, read 26,033,054 times
Quote:
Now, with my knowledge of technology I fully understand WHY this is not cost effective, and is in fact gratuitous. You folks might not, but I'm pretty much done trying to make you understand.
Hi. I'm a network engineer with a background in telcos and ISPs, currently employed as the senior network architect for a company whose name you'd recognize and whose products you've probably enjoyed. You can try to explain it to me - I tend to be OK with hard technical concepts.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:06 PM

1,147 posts, read 910,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Hi. I'm a network engineer with a background in telcos and ISPs, currently employed as the senior network architect for a company whose name you'd recognize and whose products you've probably enjoyed. You can try to explain it to me - I tend to be OK with hard technical concepts.
Yeah kid I used to do that a long time ago, and even ran an ISP back when your cable company didn't even know what a modem was, and fiber was a cereal. If I have to explain it to you, I can only surmise that you're unemployed.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

It's cheaper for me, personally, to have a cell phone than it would be to have a landline. Period.

And the fact that that is true, means the same can be true of others. Since you don't know the situation personally of every person getting one of these cell phones, your blanket assumptions about them are invalid.
The blanket FACT is correct. A cell phone costs more than a POTS line, in this state, where I live, where this program is being done.

What part of your small liberal mind doesn't understand that?

Old 12-16-2011, 02:12 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,482,769 times
My home internet and phone costs me $71 a month. My cell phone and laptop costs me $100 a month.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:13 PM

46,978 posts, read 26,033,054 times
Quote:
Yeah kid I used to do that a long time ago, and even ran an ISP back when your cable company didn't even know what a modem was, and fiber was a cereal. If I have to explain it to you, I can only surmise that you're unemployed.
Now that the blustering is out of your system, I'm sure you'll be able to articulate an argument?

Old 12-16-2011, 02:14 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,250,817 times
People can't use old technology like they used to and it's getting harder harder just to MAINTAIN. TV for example, the cheap plans are a direct result of technology getting too expensive for many people. I'm thinking of the elderly who want to watch a few channels but their old CRT and rabbit ears set up not only isn't going to work but can't even be replaced when it breaks down. I have no problem what so ever in making sure that there is always a minimum level of utility service offered to the poorest among us, no matter what that utility service is. We can't expect people to give up everything just because the majority want to go boldly into the (expensive) future. Universal lifeline phone service (home or cell...who cares), basic 15 channel cable tv, slow speed internet service, whatever.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Now that the blustering is out of your system, I'm sure you'll be able to articulate an argument?
What argument? I'm talking about cost. You folks are advocating that dead-beat dirtbags are entitled to modern conveniences that the rest of us have to work for.

It's a difference of opinion. You lack the fiscal responsibility to understand my point, and I lack the ability to understand why one would advocate the provision of an unnecessary convenience at the taxpayer's expense when every form of government is running a deficit right now, and hard working folks can't even put food on the table.

Honestly. It's thinking like this that has this country headed for the toilet.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:23 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,464,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

Goodluck using that cellphone in a national emergency. You will be SOL! Also, if you have young children, you'd be foolish not to have a landline. I have both.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:25 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,482,769 times
I hate talking on a cell phone in my house. Hello, hello, are you there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies