Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:46 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Are there still any places in the US today where people of color had better not go for safety reasons?
Not really, though there are places where they either won't be welcomed with open arms or will be such a novelty as to be completely out of place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 08:49 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
You give me too much credit. I am not the arbiter of what is acceptable or not. But this is one I have long agreed with, as would any decent person.

Referring to someone as "colored" has been a faux pas since at least the early 1970s. About the same time "negro" went out of fashion.

It is not a question of PC, which I loathe btw. Stop for a moment and think about the implication of referring to someone as colored. Really, think about it.
It is actually a question of PC -- it is not universally accepted among the English-speaking world that "colored" is offensive, nor is it exactly an objective fact that "colored" is offensive. It's a cultural affectation and to call someone a bigot who is not aware of its taboo status in this particular corner of the English-speaking world and has no particular reason to be aware of it is unfair and classless.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:51 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,887,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
No, its a term used by people who are bigots. And I am not talking to the OP, I am talking to you.
There is no difference in meaning between "colored people" and "people of color." Only morons or PC language Nazis think there is.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:52 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Are there still any places in the US today where people of color had better not go for safety reasons?
Of course. It's unsafe to wander into the roadway, for example, or upon train tracks.

What I'm wondering, who isn't "a person of color?" Even if you accept this blatantly, obviously wrong idea that caucasians are 'white', white is indeed a color.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:53 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
U.S. has grown more diverse, but park visitors remain overwhelmingly white.

The National Park system is often called “America’s Best Idea,†but according to a new report, it remains more like terra incognita for many people of color.

Where are the people of color in national parks? - Travel - News - msnbc.com
What's the big deal?

It's not their thing.

It's like asking why there are very few people of color on the beaches and boardwalk in Ocean City NJ.

Why are there very few people of color in the stands at major league sporting events?

I've never seen a sign at any of these places saying "no people of color allowed".

Liberals trying to start trouble.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:53 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,887,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Oh please, are you trying to turn the term "colored" into the new "n" word or what?

Perhaps we should fund a massive campaign of public service announcements so everyone can keep up with the politcally correct term of the day.

You think you're making a joke but I'll bet in short time, there WILL be such campaigns! Our society has gotten so incredibly stupid with the victim/PC crap.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:55 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
There is no difference in meaning between "colored people" and "people of color." Only morons or PC language Nazis think there is.
I agree. However, I can only lecture so many people at one time whilst still doing my day job.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:56 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:

Yes.

Their own neighborhoods for the most part.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:59 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,350,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, for marketing people, it matters . . . b/c figuring out WHY some event or place does or does not appeal to various groups means figuring out how to target them for marketing, in order to increase their participation.

More participation = more revenue.

I don't recall ever paying an admission fee at any National Park.
YMMV....

Old 08-05-2011, 09:06 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Do black kids join the scouts when young?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies