Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 11:16 AM

4,571 posts, read 4,119,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why not..she contributed to those programs didn't she ?
It's not the same as welfare and medicaid you know.
Sounds like a desperate attempt for self justification.

If she truly believed in her ideals, she should have gone without. She should have sacrificed for her beliefs.

She's just another right wing hypocrite. Drop the idolizing. People use her to justify treating other people like crap all the time. Whatever helps you sleep at night I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 11:16 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,356,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Sounds more like it's encouraging charity without the use of force. How is this the opposite of altruism?.
An altruistic person gets off on helping others, and therefore acts on behalf of his own self interest - and therefore is not really altruistic at all.

If the "altruist" used his own money, well, that would be different from using money stolen from another.

An autistic person is forced to help others, and resents it terribly; and usually, due to extreme need, he exerts most of his efforts to help himself.

I think Tesla might have been autistic/altruistic.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:19 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,872,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Sounds like a desperate attempt for self justification.

If she truly believed in her ideals, she should have gone without. She should have sacrificed for her beliefs.

She's just another right wing hypocrite. Drop the idolizing. People use her to justify treating other people like crap all the time. Whatever helps you sleep at night I suppose.
That's crap. If you take my money and then offer it back to me, I'm taking it back, period. She wasn't against people getting their own money - she was for that.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Sounds more like it's encouraging charity without the use of force. How is this the opposite of altruism?.
An altruistic person gets off on helping others, and therefore acts on behalf of his own self interest - and therefore is not really altruistic at all.

If the "altruist" used his own money, well, that would be different from using money stolen from another.

An autistic person is forced to help others, and resents it terribly; and usually, due to extreme need, he exerts most of his efforts to help himself.

I think Tesla might have been autistic/altruistic.

He would have been a Libertarian if Westinghouse hadn't screwed him over.

Damned capitalists are always screwing the Libertarians.

Capitalists run a fixed game.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:17 PM

19,893 posts, read 12,182,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post

Are you sure you mean autistic?

Old 08-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Are you sure you mean autistic?
Yeah, what do you want, autruistic?

Old 08-06-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah, what do you want, autruistic?
OK, autruistic it is.

I'm an autruist.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
OK, autruistic it is.

I'm an autruist.
I'm, like, gene-autry, or something.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:53 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,346,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
These threads are getting more ignorant by the day.
I wonder if Rand didn't pay the maximum for years. That is ok but that article comes from Firedoglake which is one of the worst of the left leaning blogs and even they can use Freedom of Information which conservatives can't get through about out government.

Some of our people are really bad about letting those blogs use them in an attempt to get rid of the Tea Party and I can promise them that they are wasting their time since too many of us from the backwoods support them so completely. My Congressman is one of them and I am behind everything he does because he was one of the 20 that voted against that pile of crap that was illegally written and voted on without debate in either house. Of course, I am talking about the extension of Obama's credit card.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:54 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,346,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
And Another rightie brings up race. You guys prove my point every day, thanks
Casper
Go ahead and mention the use of the race card but don't talk about the context it was used in. Now old Saul would be very proud of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies