Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 01:21 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
What mindset might that be? I'm sorry if the truth hurt but facts are facts, deal with it.
That mindset.

Your opinion of progressives is not factual, or fact-based in any way. That you insist it is, only shows how deeply invested you are in your opinion. And that deep investment doesn't allow you to be open to new ideas, or even to reasonable debate. And that's what I find sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 01:24 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
And what exactly are her qualifications to be part of that race of "thoroughbreds"?
That's the thing with these 'progressive' racists -they always believe themselves to be superior.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:26 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That mindset.

Your opinion of progressives is not factual, or fact-based in any way. That you insist it is, only shows how deeply invested you are in your opinion. And that deep investment doesn't allow you to be open to new ideas, or even to reasonable debate. And that's what I find sad.
Nothing I said was an opinion, it's fact based on my experiences dealing with liberal idiots on a daily basis. When I find an intelligent liberal who has enough brain power to have a reasonable debate I might have some facts to balance things out but until then I'll stick to what I know.

Once again, if those facts hurt your feelings you'll just have to deal with it. No need to be sad, you're not alone.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:30 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Quote:
And your agenda reveals itself.

It is logically ridiculous to criticize any historic figure for reflecting their historic period. Sanger was progressive regarding gender rights, but her opinions on race reflect the commonplace opinions of her contemporaries.

Sanger was an advocate of birth control, because she witnessed the harm that results from women not having reproductive control.

And birth control is a GOOD thing, by the way.
And you reveal something about yourself, perhaps something you didn't realize -you're okay with situational ethics. The Spartans threw babies they believed to be inferior off cliffs rather than burden their society with a male that wouldn't cut the muster as a warrior. Since that was par for that time and place, I imagine that you'd excuse it because it 'reflected the commonplace opinions of the contemporaries' of that time. That may be okay for you but most modern thinkers believe in absolute right and wrong. Sanger believed in a basic inequality between races. That is classic racism. It was wrong then as it is now.

Birth control can indeed be a good thing, but like most things it can be abused.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:31 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
And your agenda reveals itself.

It is logically ridiculous to criticize any historic figure for reflecting their historic period. Sanger was progressive regarding gender rights, but her opinions on race reflect the commonplace opinions of her contemporaries.

Sanger was an advocate of birth control, because she witnessed the harm that results from women not having reproductive control.

And birth control is a GOOD thing, by the way.
Quote:
What's really creepy is the way Anita Dunn's comments are mischaracterized. Is the truth so scary? Mao Zedong was not only a dictator. He was a writer and philosopher, and it's quite possible to find things to admire in someone's writings without endorsing every aspect of their lives. I admire the Hemingway's writing style, his ability to bring to life complex and imperfect characters. It doesn't mean that I think alcoholism is something people should emulate. See how that works?
Hitler was a very effective motivational speaker and should be commending for rallying the German people to take pride in their country.

Hilter was also an advocate of birth control. However he took a more proactive approach by removing the mothers and fathers from the equation so mass abortions would not have been necessary. Very effective methods don't you think?

Hilter is so misunderstood. He was just reflecting the common place opinions of his contemporaries. Mussolini, Hirohito......

Old 08-05-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Nothing I said was an opinion, it's fact based on my experiences dealing with liberal idiots on a daily basis. When I find an intelligent liberal who has enough brain power to have a reasonable debate I might have some facts to balance things out but until then I'll stick to what I know.

Once again, if those facts hurt your feelings you'll just have to deal with it. No need to be sad, you're not alone.
Everything you said was an opinion. You do know what an opinion is, don't you? Many opinions are based on experience. But the FACT is that your experiences don't describe everyone else's experience. For instance, I might assert that canteloupe is slimy. My experience whenever I've eaten it is that it has a slimy texture that I cannot abide. I recognize this, though, as my opinion, because many people don't have the same experience. And because I recognize this as my opinion, I don't sit in judgment of the people that don't share my opinions.

So, if these facts hurt YOUR feelings, you'll just have to deal with it. Don't worry, you're not alone, either. There are many people who don't seem to be able to distinguish between their opinions and facts.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:34 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Everything you said was an opinion. You do know what an opinion is, don't you? Many opinions are based on experience. But the FACT is that your experiences don't describe everyone else's experience. For instance, I might assert that canteloupe is slimy. My experience whenever I've eaten it is that it has a slimy texture that I cannot abide. I recognize this, though, as my opinion, because many people don't have the same experience. And because I recognize this as my opinion, I don't sit in judgment of the people that don't share my opinions.

So, if these facts hurt YOUR feelings, you'll just have to deal with it. Don't worry, you're not alone, either. There are many people who don't seem to be able to distinguish between their opinions and facts.
Progressive relativism at it finest right here.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Hitler was a very effective motivational speaker and should be commending for rallying the German people to take pride in their country.

Hilter was also an advocate of birth control. However he took a more proactive approach by removing the mothers and fathers from the equation so mass abortions would not have been necessary. Very effective methods don't you think?

Hilter is so misunderstood. He was just reflecting the common place opinions of his contemporaries. Mussolini, Hirohito......
I'm sorry, but you are making the same error that was made when criticizing Anita Dunn. There can certainly be things of intellectual value taken from Mein Kampf without embracing Hitler or his ideology. The ability to filter is a matter of human maturity. Adults can evaluate things item by item to determine their value, rather than relegating everything to what it's associated with. You associate with a wide range of people. Do you think it wise or proper to label you according to your associates, or is it wise and proper to evaluate you according to who YOU are? Mao Zedung is not the devil incarnate. He was a complicated human being, and some of his actions were atrocious. But to the Chinese people, he was a visionary leader who led them in a violent, bloody revolution. To the American people, Abraham Lincoln was a visionary leader who led them in a valiant fight to save their country from revolution. But during that valiant fight, millions perished in a violent, bloody war. The ability to recognize that bad things come from good purposes and intentions is a feature of maturity, and allows people to be balanced and reasonable when researching history or looking at historical figures. It enhances our understanding of the world around us. It is a key part of empathy, which is a desirable characteristic.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Progressive relativism at it finest right here.
How so?

Because there is a difference between opinions and facts?

What are you arguing? That there is no difference.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:46 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
And you reveal something about yourself, perhaps something you didn't realize -you're okay with situational ethics. The Spartans threw babies they believed to be inferior off cliffs rather than burden their society with a male that wouldn't cut the muster as a warrior. Since that was par for that time and place, I imagine that you'd excuse it because it 'reflected the commonplace opinions of the contemporaries' of that time. That may be okay for you but most modern thinkers believe in absolute right and wrong. Sanger believed in a basic inequality between races. That is classic racism. It was wrong then as it is now.

Birth control can indeed be a good thing, but like most things it can be abused.
Really?
So, how then do we maintain any level of respect or honor for those Founding Fathers who owned slaves?
Or the presidents who advocated for the extermination of the native population?
Were they not products of their time period, or, is that somehow different?

I have no particular love for Margaret Sanger, however, I do applaud her efforts to improve women's health care and like many other people who made great contributions to society, I think we do have to weigh the context in which those contributions were made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies