Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:08 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

Look,

People are going to have two choices on who to believe here.

I'm telling people that its all of governments fault. That the President and Democrats should have, could have, and did have the responsibility to pass a balanced budget plan, increase the debt ceiling, etc back when they had full control of congress and the white house. That should have happened in November last year, without a doubt.

And I'm telling people that all of the news stories, all of the "leaks" from committees, and all of the press conferences by TEA party members and Cantor, and others in the Republican party are true. That they didn't want to raise one dime of revenue from taxes, and that many were willing to default on the nations debt, some thought it was a good idea.

Or.....

You can listen to people who are telling you to keep your head in the ground, its all the Presidents fault, Republicans share no blame, and the President is a bully.

You decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No. A bully is someone who uses his/her power (be it physical power or verbal power) to intimidate others.

Someone who calls the President a liar is giving his/her opinion.
A president has every right to chide politicians who bicker like children and throw a fit to get their own way.

If we can recall, even Boehner wanted his "own" party to "get your ass in line". He must be a bully too He apparently used his verbal power to get squabbling fringe factions in line.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Forbes article nails the source of America's problem.

"Few Americans needed Standard & Poor to confirm the mismanagement of the United States government and its finances. The downgrading of American credit will raise interest rates on America’s huge debt and ultimately on all Americans. Popular polls say that most Americans blame Congress—but that’s too simplistic. As much as Barack Obama would like to shift that blame onto Congress, the fault lies squarely on the shoulders of President. It is first and foremost a leadership problem that is crippling America—and the leader is President Barack Obama—not the many members of Congress."

A Failed Presidency — The American Problem - Prosper Now - - Forbes
At least there was no bias. A quick Google search of this author shows such even handed blog articles as

Obama “Fiddles” While The Country Suffers - Prosper Now - - Forbes

and

Mr. President: Hold up a Mirror; You Have Met the Enemy and it Is You! - Prosper Now - - Forbes

The author is right though. Obama failed. He's the leader. He lead and they didn't follow. So, totally his fault.
Like, If i had a bunch of dogs, and I tried to lead them and they don't follow. Totally my fault. It's so simple.

Or is it simple minded to believe that is possible knowing they have entirely different goals? What if I'm trying to lead my dog to water and he wants food?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:12 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I believe I heard of a number of Loyalists around 1776 who were eager to compromise or "just get along."
Well when you can show us which foreign country is attempting to make us it's subjects, then maybe your argument will have some relevance.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:12 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Look,

I'm telling people that its all of governments fault. That the President and Democrats should have, could have, and did have the responsibility to pass a balanced budget plan, increase the debt ceiling, etc back when they had full control of congress and the white house. That should have happened in November last year, without a doubt.

And I'm telling people that all of the news stories, all of the "leaks" from committees, and all of the press conferences by TEA party members and Cantor, and others in the Republican party are true. That they didn't want to raise one dime of revenue from taxes, and that many were willing to default on the nations debt, some thought it was a good idea.

Or.....

You can listen to people who are telling you to keep your head in the ground, its all the Presidents fault, Republicans share no blame, and the President is a bully.

You decide.
Translation, you can die by the electric chair, or hanging, you decide.

No thank you, I choose neither.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:14 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
A president has every right o chide politicians who bicker like children and throw a fit to get their own way.

If we can recall, even Boehner wanted his "own" party to "get your ass in line". He must be a bully too
"The political brinksmanship of recent months highlights what we see as
America's governance and policymaking becoming less stable, less effective,
and less predictable than what we previously believed."

From S&P's report.

Not working together, telling people it has to be your way and no other, the "political brinksmanship" is what lead to the downgrade, not our debt.

Its the fact that we can't work together to reduce our debt, not the debt itself. If we proved we could carry the burden without threatening default, we'd still be AAA

Old 08-07-2011, 09:15 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Whatever. Obama is the most capable president since Clinton and Forbes knows it. That is why it took such a lengthy article to attempt to discredit him. If it really was as obvious as the article purports that Obama is unfit, he would already be gone from the White House. I need say no more.

H
Pure comedy gold!

How sad that people can be so brainwashed, though.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:17 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Well when you can show us which foreign country is attempting to make us it's subjects, then maybe your argument will have some relevance.
Out of control entitlements compounding the national debt, makes us a subject to our own debt and not capable of dealing with catastrophies when they take place. The one controlling the debt is who we end up being subject to when it cant be paid back.

Trust me, I've been there, sitting in a room with creditors, its not a pretty sight and makes you as low as humanly possible.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:18 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Look,

Or.....

You decide.
Thank you for that thoughtful post. I do understand where you are coming from.

I must not have read the same reports, or listened to the same FIRST PERSON INTERVIEWS with the people involved as you did, b/c my understanding of the situation is much different than yours.

But all that aside . . . good leadership from this President would have had a different outcome.

Let's not forget: Clinton managed to work with the GOP without this type of disastrous result. And I can go back through the 20th Century and cite what Presidents were able to work with Congress, even if the opposite party held BOTH Houses.

To suggest that a few Freshmen in the HOUSE (not even the Senate!) could have "kept this President from being an effective leader" is LAUGHABLE.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:18 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
While Congress has been far from perfect, the article points out that the overriding problem is a lack of leadership.

"... he can’t fix the economy; he has neither the experience nor the knowhow to do it. His failed, misguided policies have only exacerbated the size of his mistakes and shortcomings."

"Obama has surrounded himself with academics, theoreticians and politicians and all of their solutions are wrong, flawed and ineffective. Don’t take my word for it. Look at the evidence. Nobody in his inner circle has meaningful business experience. He not only doesn’t understand business, he dislikes businesses; they are only useful as a way to collect taxes to redistribute."

"The ultimate failure of President Barack Obama is that he is unable or unwilling to lead; to define anything more than vague generalities as a solution to America’s daunting problems. Even his own allies in the GAO state, “we can’t value a speech.” In his desperation to run for reelection, Obama continues to abdicate his responsibilities. The debt ceiling was a showcase of his failings as he periodically jumped in and out of negotiations until he literally neutralized himself."

Read the article in the link. It clearly lists the multitude of Obama's ineptness and failures that are destroying this country. In terms of blame, Obama is not alone; but he, alone is supposed to set the example and lead. He has not.

http://blogs.forbes.com/prospernow/2...rican-problem/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies