Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 02:48 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
When I heard this morning that thousands of Verizon employees went on strike, my first thought was that they must be insane. Who with any sanity would dare go on strike in this economy? I thought, with 9% unemployment and people begging for even part time jobs, to do such a thing would be just absolutely crazy. But then I heard that the company was actually trying to do pretty draconian things to the work force including making them pay $3000 a year in premiums and deductibles for insurance that they now get for free. While free medical and dental is probably pretty liberal and few people get it free, a $3000 deductible is pretty draconian. And the company also wants give backs of 2 holidays a year, give ups of job security and pay raises tied only to a supervisor's review, elimination of the pension plan and other stuff. While this stuff might be understandable for a company in trouble such as GM or Delta Airlines were last year, I fail to see any logic in a company that made $3 billion in profit last year making such demands from its workers. Some of the things the company wants are reasonable but most of this is quite unreasonable. It is like they want to take advantage of the bad economy to try to break the union. I don't know where people come down on this but when you see these guys working in manholes and on poles in all kinds of bad weather doing what appears to be a fairly dangerous job, I just sort of feel that their pay is well earned. It is not a job I would want to do.
I have a good friend that works for Verizon. It's actually a pretty easy job. They get 2 hours to complete each job, for what he does, even if he finishes in 10 minutes. He then hangs out for the next hour and fifty minutes. Paying 3k/yr for health benefits is what the private sector average is. That is chump change. Also, what you listed is what is being brought to the bargaining table, both sides always shoot high then they make a deal somewhere in the middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 10:51 AM

915 posts, read 3,181,820 times
46k is not much compared to overall company employee. Hell they can hired some of the Bells employees that got laid off when AT&T took over and a lot cable companies guys and contractors to replaced those union thugs

I used to work for phone company, they did have an union contract negotiation, everyone else that are not in the union are sent for training just in case lol

Old 08-19-2011, 06:05 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
I think they're scum, goons and thugs.

Striking Union Thugs Protest Outside Verizon Exec’s Home: “We’re Here to Fight” (Video) | The Gateway Pundit

Sure do hope the exec called the police on the creeps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies