Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:26 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
It would be a hardship if you are making 20K a year, these people are making 60K to 100K, and another. almost 50K in benefits. Try reading the ENTIRE article, asking for 3K a year to assist with the insurance, especially since obamacare has driven up the cost of insurance, is not unreasonable/
So the employer is supposed to eat the cost of healthcare insurance? WHY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 08:32 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,171,011 times
Default seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
That's exactly why middle age wages have remained stagnant for the past 30 years. Corporations have duped people to just lay down and take whatever sh*t they are willing to hand out.

History has shown that given free reign corporations will just run roughshod over workers, environmental laws, safety laws, and financial regulations.
You can spout that corporation crud elsewhere. Corporations don't make money, unless they have good people who are willing to work for the wages and benefits paid. It's a 2 way street. If you don't pay well, you get crap employees and don't do well. I work for a good sized company now. The company looks out for it's employees, as do the supervisors. I LIKE the company I work for. I don't make 60K a year, but you know, I don't NEED to make that kind of money. When I was out of work, I learned I could make do on $400 a week while paying my bills and raising my 2 children. If was making 60K there is no way I would have a problem contributing 3K to my insurance, I do mor ethan that now and don't make 60Plus K. We also don't have a union, nor do I want to be in one. I don't need to pay a union to work someplace. In fact where I work was voted one of the best companies to work for in 8 of the last 9 years, and was inducted into the Inside Businesses Best place to work for Hall of Fame. All without a union. They sure didn't get there by paying a pittance, and not taking care of their employees.

I am sure there are some companies out there that are out for themselves, but they don't last long. It's the companies who take care of their employees who do the best.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So the employer is supposed to eat the cost of healthcare insurance? WHY?
I think you misunderstood my comment. I was stating that with the money these people were making, that asking to contribute 3K to their insurance shouldn't be a hardship. If they were only making 20K a year, it would be a differnet thing to complain about but these people are making an excellent wage, and I don't feel it is unreasonable that they contribute to their health plan

Old 08-07-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
You can spout that corporation crud elsewhere. Corporations don't make money, unless they have good people who are willing to work for the wages and benefits paid. It's a 2 way street. If you don't pay well, you get crap employees and don't do well. I work for a good sized company now. The company looks out for it's employees, as do the supervisors. I LIKE the company I work for. I don't make 60K a year, but you know, I don't NEED to make that kind of money. When I was out of work, I learned I could make do on $400 a week while paying my bills and raising my 2 children. If was making 60K there is no way I would have a problem contributing 3K to my insurance, I do mor ethan that now and don't make 60Plus K. We also don't have a union, nor do I want to be in one. I don't need to pay a union to work someplace. In fact where I work was voted one of the best companies to work for in 8 of the last 9 years, and was inducted into the Inside Businesses Best place to work for Hall of Fame. All without a union. They sure didn't get there by paying a pittance, and not taking care of their employees.

I am sure there are some companies out there that are out for themselves, but they don't last long. It's the companies who take care of their employees who do the best.
I am gonna say this again and maybe you all will read/hear it and maybe you will continue to be in denial.

Here is the scoop: we have millions out of work. The jobs are not coming back any time soon. The plants have CLOSED. There are no manufacturing plants to reopen.

People are willing to take WHATEVER pay they can get, and they aren't gonna be saying too much about benefits, either, b/c if you don't have a job, you are trying to just get the basics of life.

Maybe you all are just very young so don't know the history of "benefits" in this country . . . but it wasn't THAT long ago that no one offered benefits to workers. Healthcare insurance was dirt cheap back in the 50s and so top corporations started offering that -and nice pensions - as a way to attract the cream of the crop workers for specialized jobs.

This ain't 1955. We have workers who are over-qualified and out of work. Employers don't need to do a thing to attract workers now. Only in some very specialized fields is there any type of shortage of talent in this country. And if there is a shortage in a particular field, trust me - the stats show that talented folks from China and India are happy to get a VISA and come over here and fill the positions.

There is no longer a NEED for employers to be held captive by unions - or by a shortage of workers, for that matter.

This is the NEW REALITY, folks.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am gonna say this again and maybe you all will read/hear it and maybe you will continue to be in denial.

Here is the scoop: we have millions out of work. The jobs are not coming back any time soon. The plants have CLOSED. There are no manufacturing plants to reopen.

People are willing to take WHATEVER pay they can get, and they aren't gonna be saying too much about benefits, either, b/c if you don't have a job, you are trying to just get the basics of life.

Maybe you all are just very young so don't know the history of "benefits" in this country . . . but it wasn't THAT long ago that no one offered benefits to workers. Healthcare insurance was dirt cheap back in the 50s and so top corporations started offering that -and nice pensions - as a way to attract the cream of the crop workers for specialized jobs.

This ain't 1955. We have workers who are over-qualified and out of work. Employers don't need to do a thing to attract workers now. Only in some very specialized fields is there any type of shortage of talent in this country. And if there is a shortage in a particular field, trust me - the stats show that talented folks from China and India are happy to get a VISA and come over here and fill the positions.

There is no longer a NEED for employers to be held captive by unions - or by a shortage of workers, for that matter.

This is the NEW REALITY, folks.
Actually, Health insurance started being offered to workers in WWII as a benefit to get workers.

Additionally, there are still some companies, such as the one I now work for that is PROUD to say that they have employees local to all areas they provide their service to. That they haven't farmed out their jobs overseas, and they still offer what it takes to get good people who will stay with the company.

It IS however getting harder and harder to find companies such as this here.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I think you misunderstood my comment. I was stating that with the money these people were making, that asking to contribute 3K to their insurance shouldn't be a hardship. If they were only making 20K a year, it would be a differnet thing to complain about but these people are making an excellent wage, and I don't feel it is unreasonable that they contribute to their health plan
Yes, I did misunderstand and apologize for that, Dark.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Actually, Health insurance started being offered to workers in WWII as a benefit to get workers.

Additionally, there are still some companies, such as the one I now work for that is PROUD to say that they have employees local to all areas they provide their service to. That they haven't farmed out their jobs overseas, and they still offer what it takes to get good people who will stay with the company.

It IS however getting harder and harder to find companies such as this here.
I wish there were more companies such as yours that felt a community responsibility.

Sadly, I look around my region and can find very few who feel it is only ethical to hire workers from the area they serve, rather than offshoring to make some extra $$$$.

For ex., several years ago, our newspaper laid off the majority of graphic artists (I think it put maybe 2 dozen or so folks out of work). Then they decided to outsource the newspaper to India. So our local newspaper, wh/ makes its money off local ads (basically), has outsourced the newspaper's layout. They have continued to lay off reporters, as well.

That incensed me as I felt that was a real kick in the face of the very people who pay for the newspaper, thru/ subscriptions and ads. Local news - yes - but local involvement and social responsibility? NO

Old 08-07-2011, 09:44 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,413,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
When I heard this morning that thousands of Verizon employees went on strike, my first thought was that they must be insane. Who with any sanity would dare go on strike in this economy? I thought, with 9% unemployment and people begging for even part time jobs, to do such a thing would be just absolutely crazy. But then I heard that the company was actually trying to do pretty draconian things to the work force including making them pay $3000 a year in premiums and deductibles for insurance that they now get for free. While free medical and dental is probably pretty liberal and few people get it free, a $3000 deductible is pretty draconian. And the company also wants give backs of 2 holidays a year, give ups of job security and pay raises tied only to a supervisor's review, elimination of the pension plan and other stuff. While this stuff might be understandable for a company in trouble such as GM or Delta Airlines were last year, I fail to see any logic in a company that made $3 billion in profit last year making such demands from its workers. Some of the things the company wants are reasonable but most of this is quite unreasonable. It is like they want to take advantage of the bad economy to try to break the union. I don't know where people come down on this but when you see these guys working in manholes and on poles in all kinds of bad weather doing what appears to be a fairly dangerous job, I just sort of feel that their pay is well earned. It is not a job I would want to do.
If workers will show up, the pay and benefits are good enough. The excess of pay over value is a direct cost to the tens of millions of Verizon customers. I think it is amazing in this economy that the union is unwilling to narrow the gap between the cost and value of employees. I don't have knowledge as to whether unions have further impaired the company by the ridiculous work rules that make other union employees less valuable; it would not surprise me if they did. A strike? Amazing. Too bad they can't be fired and replaced.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:56 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,833,054 times
WELL...Verizon may be moving out of the US soon

Old 08-08-2011, 03:54 PM

21 posts, read 26,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
These workers are the Verizon techs, the strike doesn't affect the wireless workers. You have to look at the profitability of these particular units and what the market bears.
WRONG...i work for VZ on T1's that feed the sites via COPPER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies