Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:05 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,419,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Interesting. From the article:

*68 percent support increasing taxes on those earning more than $250,000 a year
*60 percent support eliminating subsidies for oil and gas companies
*50 percent back cutting defense spending
* 83 percent are against cutting Medicare and Social Security"

So, the direction Americans want America to head in is......
Anybody who is against change in Medicare is in fact advocating that we continue to spend $2,300 for $400 wheelchairs. If the question was phrased that way, 100% would be in favor of changing Medicare.

Few people are in favor of singling out one industry for special punishment in the tax code. Some of the "subsidies" to oil companies usually boil down to the same legitimate and necessary business expenses that all companies have. If you asked the question that way, a majority would be against special abuse for any one industry.

About the 68% favoring higher taxes on the $250k/year class, the amazing thing is that it is not 98%, given the class warfare rhetoric spewed from the White House. Democracy is sometimes like two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.

Obama has been brave in advocating entitlement reform; too bad he has not been effective in leading us to it. His aversion to pro-growth tax reform as espoused by the bipartisan Gang of Six and his own Simpson Bowles commission seems to be evidence that his priority is pandering to his base, not progress. His talk about eliminating senseless regulation is worthy of falling-down laughing fits. He is the Anti-Productivity, Anti-Prosperity President; consequently, 70% of Americans know we are heading in the wrong direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 09:23 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,997,213 times
Default " Outta Dodge" Dat Ole WH Feller Be Ah Going Fer Dang Shure !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And yet only 63% of US citizens voted in the last presidential election and only 24% voted in the 2010 midterm elections.

As citizens, we are getting exactly what we deserve.
hnsq !!! ... On The Money As Usual !

Sad but oh so damn true !!!!

We without doubt deserve to have our biz ole azzzzzzzzzes kicked extremely hard for allowing such a nightmare as this to be occupying the ole "yankee WH ! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH !

Set sail with old Capt. Morgan as often as you can mates ... at least until after the elections in 2012 !!!

Dat Ole WH Feller Be Ah Lookin Bout Ah Nutter Dang Homestead Fer Shure Ya'll !!!

Cheers / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 08-12-2011, 09:34 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,419,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And yet only 63% of US citizens voted in the last presidential election and only 24% voted in the 2010 midterm elections.

As citizens, we are getting exactly what we deserve.
I've got a real dilemma; I will not vote for a candidate who seems hell-bent on destroying jobs and disrespecting individual effort and achievement, nor will I vote for someone who believes the federal government needs to be involved in the marriage debate, or who does not understand that Congress shall make no law respecting the establshment of religion.

I have voted in every election in which I was qualified to vote; I guess if push comes to shove, I'd rather have a religious wingnut than wind up eating tree grass and bark. But I am not sure I could vote either way.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:12 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,079,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
obama has been a disaster. His catchy slogans like “hope and change” really meant “misery and continued massive spending”. Even the stock market reacted to another obama canned speech, it dropped dramatically. Nobody is buying what obama is selling.
The other 30% are probably on welfare

How anybody can think we are headed in the right direction financially or culturally in beyond me

Old 08-13-2011, 03:06 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,202,287 times
Yeah, because a typical american understands societal evolution right off the bat........When has any financial crises been completely turned around in 3 years? All that poll shows is a lack of patience from spoiled idiots.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:36 AM

27,195 posts, read 15,375,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Interesting. From the article:

*68 percent support increasing taxes on those earning more than $250,000 a year
*60 percent support eliminating subsidies for oil and gas companies
*50 percent back cutting defense spending
* 83 percent are against cutting Medicare and Social Security"

So, the direction Americans want America to head in is......

I don't believe we give any money to oil companies.
That's what a subsidy is, giving money.

Now if you (the article) mean tax incentives that's something entirely different than a subsidy.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:08 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,221,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I've got a real dilemma; I will not vote for a candidate who seems hell-bent on destroying jobs and disrespecting individual effort and achievement, nor will I vote for someone who believes the federal government needs to be involved in the marriage debate, or who does not understand that Congress shall make no law respecting the establshment of religion.

I have voted in every election in which I was qualified to vote; I guess if push comes to shove, I'd rather have a religious wingnut than wind up eating tree grass and bark. But I am not sure I could vote either way.
I have never voted for a democrat or a republican in a presidential election. If more people made the choice to look outside of democrat/republican, we could actually have decent leadership in this country...

Old 08-15-2011, 07:17 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,641,563 times
This "stunning" new poll is considerably less stunning than most of the others quoted in this forum. They don't even tell you how many people were polled. Usually, the embarrassingly small numbers are buried near the bottom of the article. This one leaves them out entirely. So maybe--just maybe--things aren't as dire as the screaming headline indicates.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:23 AM

89,243 posts, read 44,992,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The "68%" that are for increasing taxes on the wealthy will probably never even earn HALF of that in their lifetime per year so they don't care how high the taxes are.
That's exactly why we should have a flat tax. If the federal government wants to raise taxes, EVERYONE should be impacted. No more of this 'tax thee, not me' BS.

Those who pay NO federal income tax now, a full 51%, would sooner destroy this country by enacting an economically disastrous tax policy than actually contributing anything themselves.

The freeloaders will DESTROY this country.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:25 AM

89,243 posts, read 44,992,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I'm shocked that 30% think we're doing okay. Where the hell are these people?
The freeloaders. They're still getting their government handouts, so they don't see a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies