Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 02:57 PM

28,976 posts, read 30,361,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I called in sick that day, and turned the TV on about 9am. I saw the whole thing, and just got sicker.

Then I got pissed.
It took me a few days until the anger set in...don't know why...I'm usually extremely emotional...but I cried a lot, as did so many others....and was glued to the T.V.

it made me think about, "What if we didn't have any communication and something like this happened?"

Old 08-12-2011, 03:04 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,990,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
First, it's who are they, not who is they.

Second, those who attempt to dismiss others comments by ridiculing the person making the statement rather than addressing the comments.
In the context that he wrote his coment I read into it a question of clarity not ridicule. There were two ways you could have read what he was commenting on.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:06 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,243,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
so were the reports correct, were there bombs going off at the Capital?

I cannot imagine seeing all those cargo transports...yes, it must have been terrifying...
No, no bombs going off. There was a lot of confusion. We (Americans) didn't know what to expect next, and I don't know how those rumors started, but they were announced on the radio. Not as, "a bomb went off in DC" but rather, "there are reports that bombs have gone off."

I couldn't see the planes since it was night and they had a bit of altitude. But their presence overhead was certainly obvious.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:26 PM

38,650 posts, read 26,444,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I was at a meeting at work and somebody put the TV on. As I watched, I thought, "It’s about time. That took long enough." I was surprised by the use of loaded passenger planes. I figured they would be cargo jets. I had been expecting it for years. A friend of mine called me that day and said, "I hate it when you are right."

IMHO both the target and the means were obvious with a tractor trailer full of ANFO being a close second. I am incensed that our incredibly expensive intelligence community failed to smell a rat in time to prevent this atrocity. I am willing to bet somebody knew all about this but was silenced because the attack was a perfect excuse to go to war.

The real tragedy of the WTC is we still do not have a clue and it is only a matter of time until some other group of dedicated crazies hits us again. I respect a similar response to the last. I expect us to run in circles and scream and shout and then go to war with the uninvolved so the profiteers can increase the profits without the risk of finding the perpetrators.

The CIA is our ounce of prevention. Under Clinton, rules for spy recruitment were changed making a difficult job almost impossible. The agency experienced a 25% attrition rate during the Clinton years with some agents even resigning in protest over the rule change. On 9/11 we had not a single operative on the ground inside Afghanistan and were therefore blind to the impending attack. I really don't understand how you cut the legs out from under the CIA following the 1993 attack. To my way of thinking, after being attacked numerous times by the same group, doubling down on intelligence would be the only smart move.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:37 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,701,307 times
Getting kids ready for school and had the tv on. Saw that second one bank and I knew it was going in...terrible to realize that you have just seen many people die.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:27 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,990,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I was at a meeting at work and somebody put the TV on. As I watched, I thought, "It’s about time. That took long enough." I was surprised by the use of loaded passenger planes. I figured they would be cargo jets. I had been expecting it for years. A friend of mine called me that day and said, "I hate it when you are right."

IMHO both the target and the means were obvious with a tractor trailer full of ANFO being a close second. I am incensed that our incredibly expensive intelligence community failed to smell a rat in time to prevent this atrocity. I am willing to bet somebody knew all about this but was silenced because the attack was a perfect excuse to go to war.

The real tragedy of the WTC is we still do not have a clue and it is only a matter of time until some other group of dedicated crazies hits us again. I respect a similar response to the last. I expect us to run in circles and scream and shout and then go to war with the uninvolved so the profiteers can increase the profits without the risk of finding the perpetrators.
The prez downgrade the importance of the anti terrorist task force. It sent a big massage to everyone in the community to keep your heads down and not to do too much to stop something bad from happening. Don't look at them for their failure look to the commander in chief.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:44 PM

436 posts, read 1,525,378 times
It was the day after my grandfather's funeral. He was a decorated war hero in WWII. It was my first day at my new job teaching preschool. Some of the other teachers and parents started coming in and saying that someone crashed into the WTC with a plane. My first thought was that it was some kind of freak accident. Later someone came in and said that both the WTC were hit. Then I knew that it was not a freak accident.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:45 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,991,693 times
It was early morning here in Colorado. I was lying in bed, listening to NPR. I was supposed to meet my neighbor at 7 AM to go for a walk. I heard them say there was a report of a crash into the WTC building; they thought it might be a suicide. We went on our walk. By the time I got back, ~ 7:30, more news was coming in. It was really shock and awe, and not in a good way.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:52 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,508,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Where were you on 9/11
I was at work. That day I knew we'd never be the same.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:03 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,882,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
In the context that he wrote his coment I read into it a question of clarity not ridicule. There were two ways you could have read what he was commenting on.
The person asked who I was referencing.
Seemed like a reasonable question and I gave an honest answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies