Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 05:22 AM

28,976 posts, read 30,364,339 times

Advertisements

Where were you on 9/11
how did you find out, what was going thru you mind, your feelings...do you feel safer, and why?

I was at work, and my boss's wife called me and her voice was extremely stressed. She said, "Creme, a huge passenger plane just ran into one of the twin towers" I thought I was hearing things...and she said it again...but it was still so unbelievable, and I kept asking her questions...she explained to me that it was all over the news...we kept talking and I heard her scream out in tears..."OMG, another passenger plane just hit the other tower!!!" I told her, "It has to be a terrorist attack!" But from that point on, I felt strange, and I cannot explain the feeling any better then to say, I felt like this was a bad dream. I then told her, I have to go, I'm sorry but I have to tell my group..."
We hung up, and in this same dream state, I gathered my group together and told them what had happened, shock and disbelief...so we all decided to go down to the conference room, and watch it on TV. There were others in that room when we walked in...the look on they're faces were somber and disbelief...and tears...

For me, I just couldn't believe what I was watching...surreal...a feeling of anguish, like at any moment I wanted to wake up...and then, after what seemed to be a long the first tower hit, started to go down, and for the first time, my mind went in a shock mode, because I realized, there had to be people in there still...and I started to gasp, as did everyone else, and we all cried....even some of the men...kept thinking, "how in the world could this happen?" And remember them reporting at that time, that there were more then 3 planes missing, and they feared one was heading for Atlanta Airport, which is a huge hub for connections...but they were wrong I guess....

So, after a few days of this, I thought, OK, there has to come some good out of this, and our government/country is going to demand our boarders be closed off, and they were going to be very strict on any illegals coming into this country, that this event, would force them to realize, they had to restructure our entire immagration laws and offices, and set up a whole new system that monitors all illegals and make it much tougher to come into this country. I was certain this would happen...but never did.

My girlfriends son, sat on the board of homeland security and he walked out of 3 mettings and quit...that's how inefficent it was...and how all the money that our government had allocated to each state for homeland security was being spent foolishly...and nobody cared...they allocated monies to all these large cities for homeland security but never monitored how the money was being spent and one city bought new garbage trucks....

So, that's my story...

It will be ten years since 911 happened...do you feel any safer? I'm to the point, "it is what it is" ...and feel we had much tighter security years ago. I don't believe we can make it tougher for illegals to come into our country, b/c so much of our country is already owned by other countries, like banks, corporations, docks...etc. I'm thinking if we did, it would start a huge war? But there has to be a reason, why our immagration offices, deterioated so badly?

Old 08-12-2011, 05:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,893,508 times
I was at a meeting at work and somebody put the TV on. As I watched, I thought, "It’s about time. That took long enough." I was surprised by the use of loaded passenger planes. I figured they would be cargo jets. I had been expecting it for years. A friend of mine called me that day and said, "I hate it when you are right."

IMHO both the target and the means were obvious with a tractor trailer full of ANFO being a close second. I am incensed that our incredibly expensive intelligence community failed to smell a rat in time to prevent this atrocity. I am willing to bet somebody knew all about this but was silenced because the attack was a perfect excuse to go to war.

The real tragedy of the WTC is we still do not have a clue and it is only a matter of time until some other group of dedicated crazies hits us again. I respect a similar response to the last. I expect us to run in circles and scream and shout and then go to war with the uninvolved so the profiteers can increase the profits without the risk of finding the perpetrators.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:48 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,881,216 times
At work and went to the network operation center and saw it on a wall TV... a 15x20 series of screens I was so overwhelmed I left work.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:54 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,662,927 times
I was at home, when a friend called and asked if I had the TV on. (At first, I didn't believe what he was telling me!)

Incidentally, I work for MTA here in New York City, and I was a conductor at the time. I worked the A train on 9/11, and nothing will ever be as eerie as passing through Chambers Street station (which had been closed), seeing the welter of footprints running amok in the gray dust.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:57 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,408,969 times
I was watching Imas.

His first reaction was correct.

He said it could NOT be an accident because there was no commercial air traffic over the city.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:57 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,787,722 times
I got a call at work from my brother telling me the Trade Center had been hit by a plane. I rushed home as my wife worked in 2 WTC. As I entered Jersey City, I saw 2 collapse. No one heard from her until about noon. Thankfully she was able to get out.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:58 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,408,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I was at home, when a friend called and asked if I had the TV on. (At first, I didn't believe what he was telling me!)

Incidentally, I work for MTA here in New York City, and I was a conductor at the time. I worked the A train on 9/11, and nothing will ever be as eerie as passing through Chambers Street station (which had been closed), seeing the welter of footprints running amok in the gray dust.
Wow!!!

Old 08-12-2011, 05:59 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,750,358 times
I saw it live on TV from my office at Freddie Mac. We were all standing around not saying anything. Later I heard that one of our VP's was in one of the towers that day and was killed.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:00 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,073,288 times
I was at work when it happened. On 57th and 6th Ave NYC. When I got a call about a plane hitting a building from my Mom. Then a co-workers rolls in a TV into our office to see the news and then the next plane hits. I try to call my now wife who was supposed to be working in the trade center basement mall at a retail store. I could not reach her all day. We finally spoke hours later and she wasn't there.

The entire NYC went into lock down that day. No trains in or out. Tunnels closed. All motor vehicles were only allowed to exit the city via bridge. Everyone else had to walk, hitch a ride off Manhattan Island. I walked and saw people cramming into the backs of trucks, vans, hanging on to backs of buses like refuge scenes in movies. Walking across the 59th street bridge and looking towards downtown were the towers were hours ago replaced with a column of dust and smoke was an emotionless sight.

A day I'll never forget.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:32 AM

28,976 posts, read 30,364,339 times
Guys, my heart goes out to you all...and to those of you who were closer to it them some of us...
and thank you for sharing your stories...

sending big hugs....
creme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies