Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 09:17 AM

15,877 posts, read 21,477,351 times

Advertisements

It appears as though there are some deleted posts here. That might explain why it looks so bad on one side. Not to mention being told to "count your blessings" is completely offensive in the context.

But in any case, try reporting a rape in the US as a woman and see how good it is to be female here. (read: it's not as rosy as you'd think)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 09:25 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,755,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It appears as though there are some deleted posts here. That might explain why it looks so bad on one side.

But in any case, try reporting a rape in the US as a woman and see how good it is to be female here. (read: it's not as rosy as you'd think)
Makes no difference how many were deleted. The ones that remain are beyond the pale in the attack on the OP. Instead of being outraged at the suffereing of the women in these countries they choose to be outraged at the OP for presenting the articles which are nuetral politically.

Id like to see some links if you please supporting your rape assertions. I worked for my counties Victim Witness Department as an assistant investigator for a time while in college. Your allusions in my experience are unfounded as a whole in this country in this day and age.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:30 AM

15,877 posts, read 21,477,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Makes no difference how many were deleted. The ones that remain are beyond the pale in the attack on the OP. Instead of being outraged at the suffereing of the women in these countries they choose to be outraged at the OP for presenting the articles which are nuetral politically.

Id like to see some links if you please supporting your rape assertions. I worked for my counties Victim Witness Department as an assistant investigator for a time while in college. Your allusions in my experience are unfounded as a whole in this country in this day and age.
I'll put forth my own experience where I was told that I brought my rape upon myself and was intimidated out of raising charges. 2005 in Georgia - I was 17. Now I work with the BARCC - Boston Area Rape Crisis Center - one of the largest (if not THE largest) center of it's kind. I also worked as a rape crisis counselor in college as well. My story is very much the norm, not the exception in MY experience in this day and age in all parts of the country, not just the backwater community I grew up in.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,772,317 times
There may be some problems for women in the USA, rape by a total stranger for example -- it happens.

However some things cannot be made completely safe - never. Getting falling down drunk at a party where the men are getting falling down drunk will never be a totally safe thing to do. Nor is getting drunk and picked up by strangers at a sleezy bar or even classy bar ever going to be completely safe. Acting like a girls-gone-wild scene during a drunken spring break gathering cannot be made safe.

Like it or not, often women did not take smart precautions and a large number of rape claims are for these reasons. That isn't to defend the rapists by any means, but women are not totally helpless in keeping themselves safer.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:10 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,618,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It appears as though there are some deleted posts here. That might explain why it looks so bad on one side. Not to mention being told to "count your blessings" is completely offensive in the context.

well said. Criminal defense protects the accused as fare as statutes re: rape. And this is in America.

read up on the Warren Jeffs trial, and how long it took the state to step in to prosecute that piece of filth sociopath. New legislation is needed, its hard for states and Feds to step in, and in America 13 year olds are raped every day.

The prosecutors used DNA evidence to show that Jeffs had fathered children with a girl at the age of 15. The jury also listened to an audio recording that seemed to show Jeffs engaged in a sexual act with a 12-year-old girl. The jury also heard other audio recordings which showed Jeffs instructing other young girls on how they could please him and engage in sexual acts.

Polygamist Warren Jeffs found guilty in child-rape case

Jeffs deserves the DP

Old 08-14-2011, 11:33 AM

674 posts, read 699,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post

I would have thought China would be in the top five but then I realized that China's one child policy and strong bias towards males means that a lot of potential females never make it to womanhood so the matter is moot.
China is a fairly good country to be a woman if, as you pointed out, you're not aborted.

One-child policy a surprising boon for China girls - Yahoo! News

And adult Chinese women have their pick of husbands because there is a huge surplus of Chinese men.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:45 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,280,696 times
There truly are places in the world where it is dangerous for women and women are treated unfairly. The U.S. isn't one of them.

Good article last month in U.S.A. today, entitled: "When 'science' looks for sexism, guess what? It finds it.'

"...psychology can be used to promote particular ideologies -- often progressive ones -- while it masquerades as science...A journal called Psychology of Women Quarterly recently published a study about sexism. The study divided students, both male and female, into two groups: One group recorded stressful daily activities, while the other group was specifically instructed to monitor and score the severity of incidents of sexism. What did they find? Surprise! The group primed to look for sexism found it more often."

When 'science' looks for sexism, guess what? It finds it. - USATODAY.com

This goes on so much within the social sciences.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/science/08tier.html

"...the taboo against discussing sex differences was reinforced, so universities and the National Science Foundation went on spending tens of millions of dollars on research and programs based on the assumption that female scientists faced discrimination and various forms of unconscious bias. But that assumption has been repeatedly contradicted, most recently in a study published Monday in The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences by two Cornell psychologists, Stephen J. Ceci and Wendy M. Williams. After reviewing two decades of research, they report that a woman in academic science typically fares as well as, if not better than, a comparable man when it comes to being interviewed, hired, promoted, financed and published."

American women, time to move on. If you really have the passion to be an activist and need something to fight for, find a real problem to solve. The fight for basic equality in this country has been won.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:46 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,252,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

Totally, totally W R O N G. That is nothing more than a crock of bullchit.

And stated by a man, no less.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:57 AM

38,650 posts, read 26,423,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I dont need to count my blessings. I make my own future....this is more propaganda.

Work for legal aid and get out in the world OP . If you ever lived in a major city ( or traveled more than 100 miles out of your little hometown) its difficult to be a single profl woman anywhere...

or if they want to be subjugated they can follow the GOP and "be submissive" kinda like psycho pedophile Warren Jeffs preaching- "be sweet and submissive".

How disgraceful and reactionary you people try to oppress women voters. This is 2011. Visit So. Florida and see how they will listen to your white supremacist fear mongering (sarc). It ISNT WORKING. You have no clue how to appeal to working women professionals.

Ho sick and sad OP thinks women voters in US who have degrees and careers will be swayed by garbage divisive propaganda.

"If you ever lived in a major city ( or traveled more than 100 miles out of your little hometown) its difficult to be a single profl woman anywhere..."

Really?

Why is that the case?

Old 08-14-2011, 12:45 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,618,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Totally, totally W R O N G. That is nothing more than a crock of bullchit.

And stated by a man, no less.
Thanks big rep for u. Its a womans issue- I dont blame men for not understanding in it, but if some1 is in the ER after a brutal rape, you do not tell the victim to "count her blessings". some posters here really sound like they live in a bubble of bliss.Either that or they are pushing a nefarious agenda from 1940

misogynists, pls. move to a new thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies