Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:37 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times

Advertisements

I agree with another poster here. If the offender has truly committed a heinous crime, such as rape, child molestation, ect... they shouldn't be allowed back into society. Peeing in the bushes, mooning, even streaking should not constitute as someone being a predator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 09:38 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
I think sex offenders should be hanging from a tree....particularly if they're pedophiles.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:39 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernLeper View Post
How does this title make you feel?
The city of Tampa makes it nearly impossible for these people to live a healthy life (which is what they need to recover).
My boyfriend is a sex offender and we have to find a place to live that is 1000ft from a list of different places like schools, day cares, parks and so forth. It seems that there is something every four blocks or so. To top it, the few pockets that are "green" and have affordable housing (and we're not broke) simply will not accept him.
On top of everything job hunting is equally as difficult. In this market where employers can pick and choose from among their aplicants. People with felonies are put at the bottom of that list while sex offenders are just tossed out all together.
We have a roommate, and all three of us are college students. We pay our bills on time, we're clean, responsible, respectful and all around good people (even my boyfriend, obviously).
So, this post is asking two questions:
How does the title "sex offender" make you feel?
Do you have or know of any resources for these down-trodden folk and their loved ones?
without knowing what the initial crime was that the person in question got tagged with the sex offender label, it is hard to say what should be done. banging a 16 year old girl, peeing in public, flashing, are minor offenses, and i feel should not come under the sex offender label. molesting children, rape, and other violent sex offenses however must come under the sex offender label.

personally if i were a business owner, landlord, etc. i would be reticent to hire or rent to someone on the sex offender registry because of the possible liabilities involved. imagine being a business owner and knowingly hire a sex offender, and have that person rape a coworker or customer. the liability involved is tremendous, and even if you successfully defend yourself against the liability lawsuits, it will cost you heavily in the end, perhaps enough to drive you into bankruptcy.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernLeper View Post
Do you have or know of any resources for these down-trodden folk and their loved ones?
DOWN TRODDEN FOLK???? The only down trodden folk are the VICTIMS.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:40 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I think sex offenders should be hanging from a tree....particularly if they're pedophiles.
Big, Big, Big, Big, Big, Big, Big

Old 08-18-2011, 09:40 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredorama View Post
However, you should know that the reason for this stems from the fact that statistics show the rate of relapse among sexual addicts and sex offenders to be extremely high.
Thank you ....Its scary how many that get caught are repeat offenders..

Old 08-18-2011, 09:42 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
without knowing what the initial crime was that the person in question got tagged with the sex offender label, it is hard to say what should be done. banging a 16 year old girl, peeing in public, flashing, are minor offenses, and i feel should not come under the sex offender label. molesting children, rape, and other violent sex offenses however must come under the sex offender label.

personally if i were a business owner, landlord, etc. i would be reticent to hire or rent to someone on the sex offender registry because of the possible liabilities involved. imagine being a business owner and knowingly hire a sex offender, and have that person rape a coworker or customer. the liability involved is tremendous, and even if you successfully defend yourself against the liability lawsuits, it will cost you heavily in the end, perhaps enough to drive you into bankruptcy.
Agreed. I would never hire a sex offender.

That will show on back ground checks.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:43 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

Stigmata

Old 08-18-2011, 09:44 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Unless I know the type of sex offender I would not really be able to say. Was he a 19 year old having sex with a 16 year old consensually?
That's illegal in parts of the US? Here in Colorado, a 16 year old can consent to have sex with anyone up to and including age 26 (and a 15 year old up to someone 25).

Old 08-18-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
That's illegal in parts of the US? Here in Colorado, a 16 year old can consent to have sex with anyone up to and including age 26 (and a 15 year old up to someone 25).
That's pretty bad that 25 year olds can get it on with 15 year olds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies