Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 10:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Yes, I noticed that everybody but the person who actually made the comment replied. The ones who seem hypersensitive and hyper defensive are those of you who blindly defend other posters the moment they're accused of making a racist comment.

Do you know what the phrase "read between the lines" means? If he just meant soda, why did he/she specifically say "grape soda"? You've yet to explain that. You actually believe the poster just "happened" to add the word grape in? Seriously?

I'm making perfect sense. Grape soda is often used as a pejorative against black people depending on the context, and in the context of his/her post it's pretty obvious. Not that it surprises me that it would fly over your head, but you're not a member of the group the joke is targeted at.

And Jarritos is a Mexican-made soda that is extremely popular in Mexico and predominantly Mexican areas of the US.
I believe you - I never heard that before about blacks and grape soda, I have a feeling not everyone has.

It's stupid however to continue to have food stamps buying soft drinks. All junk food should be eliminated from the food stamp plan.

Beer has a lot more nutrition and vitamins than soft drinks and you can't use food stamps to buy beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 10:38 PM

321 posts, read 362,913 times
[quote=HappyTexan;20532261]I didn't know grape soda invoked racism..never heard of it before this thread.

Which minority is associated with grape soda ?[/QUOTE]

Well, actually, diabetics are the minority most closely associated with full on grape soda

Old 08-19-2011, 10:39 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Hey hey....... obama is looking after his 2012 voters

Old 08-19-2011, 10:41 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
How am I or any of the other posters here hypersensitive just b/c we call you out on your race card playing? Nobody is blindly defending anything, we all saw what was said and we all know that nothing was meant by it...except you.

Reading between the lines, huh? There's a fine line between that and tinfoil hat territory.

He probably said grape soda b/c it's funnier that way. The whole thing was just a joke.

The context was about taking away soda from the food stamp list in NYC. It's not about black people in any way. Unless you want to say it's about black people b/c Obama was mentioned....

So what does Jarritos have to do with anything? I think that makes you a racist just for bringing it up. Mind you, I'm not Mexican, I'm Cuban.

@ the first bolded, who is it funny to?

@ the second bolded, what made you think I was talking about you? I was saying that if another drink that has a racial connotation was substituted for it would you still say that it was innocent?

Old 08-19-2011, 10:42 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I didn't know grape soda invoked racism..never heard of it before this thread.

Which minority is associated with grape soda ?
Must be Mexicans. Something to do with Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath," I imagine...

Old 08-19-2011, 10:43 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I believe you - I never heard that before about blacks and grape soda, I have a feeling not everyone has.

It's stupid however to continue to have food stamps buying soft drinks. All junk food should be eliminated from the food stamp plan.

Beer has a lot more nutrition and vitamins than soft drinks and you can't use food stamps to buy beer.
The only reason I figured out what he was talking about was b/c we were just discussing buying grape soda for the restaurant and one of our black employees made a comment about how black people supposedly like grape soda so much. I'm 27 years old and never knew this till like two months ago.

Anywho.

There are so many things that should be taken off the list and ALL soda just seems like an obvious one. The fact that the Obama admin thinks their plan for fighting obesity is superior to anything else speaks volumes to their arrogance. Obama just wants his wife's plan to work, everyone else be damned.

The point about taking away chocolate milk from schools but still allowing food stamps to purchase soda brings the hypocrisy full circle.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I didn't know grape soda invoked racism..never heard of it before this thread.

Which minority is associated with grape soda ?

Have you not read through this thread? Because I stated which ones 5 or 6 times.

If this board wants to collectively play dumb, that's fine with me... doesn't make the intent of the original comment any less questionable.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
@ the first bolded, who is it funny to?

@ the second bolded, what made you think I was talking about you? I was saying that if another drink that has a racial connotation was substituted for it would you still say that it was innocent?
It's funny to those of us who were on the thread at the time. It's not funny anymore, now that you've twisted it into something it wasn't. It's not my fault you have to see everything through your racist lens and then bring everyone else down with you.

What made me think you were talking about me? Perhaps the fact that I mentioned I'm Hispanic on the La Raza thread that you are so conveniently participating on right now.

This is seriously off topic, it's time to let it go.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Have you not read through this thread? Because I stated which ones 5 or 6 times.

If this board wants to collectively play dumb, that's fine with me... doesn't make the intent of the original comment any less questionable.
YOU are the only one questioning it, don't you get that? Nobody is playing dumb, most of us are not racist and don't go out of our way to relate anything and everything to racism in some way.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
It's funny to those of us who were on the thread at the time. It's not funny anymore, now that you've twisted it into something it wasn't. It's not my fault you have to see everything through your racist lens and then bring everyone else down with you.

What made me think you were talking about me? Perhaps the fact that I mentioned I'm Hispanic on the La Raza thread that you are so conveniently participating on right now.

This is seriously off topic, it's time to let it go.

I already knew that you were hispanic months ago. Again, what makes you think it was about you?

And no, I'm not letting this go because of how ridiculously obvious the intent of the comment is. You literally have to WANT to not get it to not get it, which does not surprise me remotely considering that all of you that came to this poster's defense are the ones who say that any of all accusations of racism are "playing the race card". Basically, "focus on the accuser, not the accused." Do you actually care whether or not the comment was racially motivated or not? You strike me as not caring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies