Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:00 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
You can do whatever you want. Your credibility suffers, but you dont seem to care. Oddly, you post on this forum, so you must put some stock into it.

However, you seem to saying, "other people are doing something wrong, so now I will too". Your personal constitution seems pretty weak. Jus' sayin'.
Merely being liberal/moderate automatically makes my credibility suffer to conservatives on this board. Perhaps you can explain why being civil with those who are not is worth my time?

My personal constitution and morality is actually extremely high. Of course morality is subjective, so what I deem moral other people might not and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 10:02 PM

785 posts, read 619,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Merely being liberal/moderate automatically makes my credibility suffer to conservatives on this board. Perhaps you can explain why being civil with those who are not is worth my time?

My personal constitution and morality is actually extremely high. Of course morality is subjective, so what I deem moral other people might not and vice versa.

You realize don't you that you basically contradicted yourself, right? If the entire definition of "civil" is a judgement call, as you suggest, then you yourself have no right to judge others uncivil. Further, it is a real personal failing to admit that you are doing something you know is wrong, but then go ahead and do it anyway. To make it even worse, you do it because...others are doing it.

Beyond that, you just engaged in group think collectivism. You see, I didn't think your cred suffered just from being a liberal. But, you didn't judge me as an individual, but merely as a member of an "other". In short, you pre-judge others and feel you are justified. To make it even shorter, you are a bigot.

You really aren't worth much effort beyond that, but are like so many others here, you expose what an unfortunate amount of liberals have turned into. You basically make the job for conservatives even easier. Thanks!

Old 11-19-2017, 06:40 AM

2,662 posts, read 1,378,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm going to go with the guess that it's the same reason some gays, some blacks, some hispanics and some women don't. They want to hold onto the money they've earned and not have it redistributed to people who are on drugs or who were too lazy to finish high school, are too stupid and keep popping out babies they can't afford and/or are too lazy to work ... and don't have to work as long as the Democrats are there with a check paid for by the rest of us.
So you make it sound like all poverty in this country is the fault of the poor. Like there are no structural issues with the economy! This, btw, is exactly what those who want to redirect funds currently going to safety net programs want you to think. Over sixty percent of food stamp recipients, for instance, do work. But nany of our factory jobs have been replaced by low wage service jobs, so they don't earn enough even while working. And if the safety net is gutted or eliminated even people who are not enrolled in any such programs will be far more dependent on their jobs...it will be a matter of keeping their boss happy or literally going without food...allowing employers the leverage to drive even harder bargains in terms of low pay, working conditions, hours, etc. Another big step in the race to third world staus economucally.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:15 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Because most straight, white Christian males, particularly older ones, hate gays, non-whites, and women.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Do you mean like this foolishness: I wonder what horse's arse would have said something like this.
Quality post, Mr. Joshua.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:38 AM

2,531 posts, read 1,864,874 times
Democrat party is socially liberal.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:40 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Straight White Christian Male here, I vote for both Dems and Repubs.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:54 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Just wondering.
They do vote for democratic candidates, and many of them are my friends.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:04 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Interesting--this thread was initiated in 2011, but could have related to the most recent election.

Obviously many of them have more grievances now, and Trump played into the anger by joining Bannon and making the republican party the party of grievances. I'm sure 8 years of having a black president exacerbated their victimhood. Before the usual responses--no--I'm not saying they are racist, but I don't think a lot of them were not happy about it.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:07 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
For me it's all about the gun issue. If the democrats would stop moaning about the guns, trying to lower magazine size to 10 rounds, ban the AR-15, and actually punish the criminals committing crimes instead of letting them out on signature bond where they go commit more crimes, I'd be more inclined to vote democrat, because for me republicans actually don't bring that much to the table at the federal level. They do a good job at the state level controlling the out of control spending on pensions and state employee salaries though which keeps states like Wisconsin from turning into Illinois and does things like attract Foxconn.

Democrats also openly promote sanctuary cities and other nonsense that is just a bad idea in general. They go out of their way to do things just because the other side doesn't want them because they are so emotional. On the other hand republicans when allowed to run amok cut taxes too much, let infrastructure start to slide, increase the war on drugs to a ridiculous degree, and try to legislate everyone's morality, which makes them equally obnoxious, which is why I like gridlock where both sides are forced to compromise. Wisconsin has a pretty good balance right now and it's working pretty well for them.

These two parties are for people who can't think outside the box, and need someone to tell them what to think. They both need to be kept in check because of their extreme elements.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:09 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think Republicans would love it if they could convince straight white Christian males that they're being victimized, and that the Democratic Party is the party for non-whites, non-Christians, gays, and women.

Expect to see a lot of this kind of fear-mongering throughout the next year. Republicans have realized that they're not going to attract non-white voters in large numbers. They succeeded with the "Southern Strategy" in the 1970s by portraying the Democratic Party as the party of blacks. This same strategy of "divide and conquer" continues today.

Not to slam you for your pre-2016 perspective, but some very interesting numbers came out of the 2016 contest.

17% of young black males in the 18-29 age bracket and 15.5% in the 30-44 age bracket voted for Trump.

Trump's overall support from black voters exceeded Romney's by 2 points and McCain's by 4.

Among Hispanics, Trump received 29% of the vote, again, besting Romney by 2 points.

It's not much, but it doesn't need to be when a growing body of independents voted for Trump (48/42) and the 44-64 and 65+ age groups, people that actually vote, broke for Trump (52-44, 52-42).

Even the youth vote has slipped from the Democrats hands (66% in 2008, 60% in 2012 and 55% in 2016).

It's really hard to see a trend that backs up your assertions.

https://ropercenter.cornell.edu/poll...ps-voted-2016/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies