Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:24 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,623,117 times

Advertisements

Neither side will stop illegal immigration. Its not what "they" want in the new world economy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 12:34 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,336,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Better yet, tooth picks. That would put 10's of thousands of men to work, right?
Yeah! Imagine the corollary boom that would occur in the toothpick industry.

In all seriousness, though, unproductive workers are merely a drain on government resources. When the government prints money or raises taxes to pay them, they're an added drain on the entire economy.

The marketplace (absent of government meddling) is really, pretty good at allocating resources to where they are needed. It's foolish of central planners to think that they can better manage the allocation of goods to meet the needs of the people.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:42 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,881,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
Yeah! Imagine the corollary boom that would occur in the toothpick industry.

In all seriousness, though, unproductive workers are merely a drain on government resources. When the government prints money or raises taxes to pay them, they're an added drain on the entire economy.

The marketplace (absent of government meddling) is really, pretty good at allocating resources to where they are needed. It's foolish of central planners to think that they can better manage the allocation of goods to meet the needs of the people.
Exacty!
And as the government has no resources other than those it confiscates from it's citizens they are basically taking dollars from productive resources to replace them with non-productive resources which is exactly what Obamacare and Romneycare are all about.

Again, I think we should quit wasting dollars on unproductive wars, bring our military home and use part of that manpower to rebuild our infrastructure. This kills 2 birds with one stone - it gets us out of unproductive and costly wars and uses necessary resources (our military) on productive enterprises. We absolutely need our infrastructure rebuilt and we need a military.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:48 PM

59,315 posts, read 27,477,308 times
My gripe is the NJT is STATE owned road which collects tolls. There should be NO reason for ANY fed tax dollars going to a state road.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:09 PM

32,833 posts, read 19,530,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
My gripe is the NJT is STATE owned road which collects tolls. There should be NO reason for ANY fed tax dollars going to a state road.
uhm

its started out as a state road (route 700) before the interstates..but was assimilated by the interstate system...only exits 1-5 (most southern NJ) are not part of I95....exits 6-18 are I95/I295

Old 08-23-2011, 01:28 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,623,117 times
Most of those tolls are now privatized, and owned by foreign countries. More are up for sale to foreign governments.

There are 71 projects worth $104 billion being considered for private development by state and local governments, according to the publication Public Works Financing. The proposals are feeding a new pack of investment funds from the likes of Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and the Carlyle Group--as well as controversy over how roads should be paid for

Read more: Who Really Owns the Roads? - TIME

NJT will prolly go to the the highest bidder,like U.A.E or S. America. Its very profitable$$. Thats all that matter$$$.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:28 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,080,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I get your point......

But, heavy equipment is needed to do a good job.

BTW, what where they bulldozing on a road???
They're doing a road widening project.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Yeah, otherwise ya get something like the pyramids or coliseum that just don't last.
Best post of the day!

Old 08-23-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
How about we just bring our troops home and instead of having them sit idle put them to work rebuilding our infranstructure?
Nah.

They're already working.

Besides....they're over qualified.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:32 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,253,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I see the signs posted all over stating that this is part of "the American Recovery Act" aka. "stimulus".

Then I started thinking, a bulldozer does the work of what? 100 men?

Why not hire 100 men with shovels to take the place of the bulldozer?

If it is indeed a "jobs program", why not hire as many men as possible?

Why not give them spoons? That would hire 1,000's of men.

Better yet, tooth picks. That would put 10's of thousands of men to work, right?
You're from New Jersey? That explains a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies