Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 11:36 AM

317 posts, read 577,264 times

Advertisements

how do people get their hands on this in the first place? I got chronic back pain and my doc wont even prescribe me any pain killers for it, but instead he wants me to continue physical therapy for another 6 months [which isnt helping] before he upgrades my pain relief, right now he's got me on 600mg Gabapentin which aint doing much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 11:45 AM

78,645 posts, read 60,839,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Know anybody with that problem? I have known a couple people. Here in Fl it seems more and more epidemic. Some guy named Ken in the responses to the article says he doesn't think it is as bad as they make it out to be.

He might changed his mind if he found out that his friend, or relative, or daughter, or former girlfriend were addicted and wasting away and or turning to prostitution to get some "blues" from a dealer.

I know a couple past band mates wasting away, a friend's brother, knew a neighbor where I use to live all looking forward to when their "script" gets renewed and turning to other sources to get more in between. I found out a past girlfriend is now prostituting because she got hooked on "roxies" when only a couple years ago when I was with her she wasn't into any of that.

And who is the largest culprit to this?, unscrupulous people in the medical field with access to these drugs.

My friends, my former girlfriend, are not bad people. And it breaks my heart to find this out and that I can't do anything to help them other than give them advise.

I have said I favor legalizing drugs, but what do you do when the doctors get you hooked?

Agents dismantle alleged pill mills that netted $40 million - Yahoo! News
Feds are cracking down. They nailed the largest pill-mill doctor in CA a couple months back. They sent in an agent with an x-ray of a DOG (along with tail)....the doctor prescribed him whatever he wanted.

I know a cousin and acquaintence on stuff like this and it's wrecking them.

Not to mention the long-term effects. My late wife was on strong painkillers for bone cancer and the doc said that the dosage level would eventually wreck her organs and they wouldn't give those doses to someone that wasn't terminal.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:13 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,906,782 times
I don't consider drug abuse to be a legitimate problem. It reminds me of that episode of it's always sunny in philadelphia where dee and charlie 'walk a day in each others shoes' to see who has the worse life. Charlie complains about how he can not sleep because of all the cats howling outside the apartment window, he leaves cat food around to attract them being they eat the mice. He then eats catfood and huffs glue every night to induce a feeling of sickness and tiredness in order to sleep inspite of the howling cats. Dee points out that those are not real problems, that in fact charlie is just retarded and creates all of his own problems. him simply deciding to not do all of those retarded things would resolve all of his so called problems instantly.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:41 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,062,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I don't consider drug abuse to be a legitimate problem. It reminds me of that episode of it's always sunny in philadelphia where dee and charlie 'walk a day in each others shoes' to see who has the worse life. Charlie complains about how he can not sleep because of all the cats howling outside the apartment window, he leaves cat food around to attract them being they eat the mice. He then eats catfood and huffs glue every night to induce a feeling of sickness and tiredness in order to sleep inspite of the howling cats. Dee points out that those are not real problems, that in fact charlie is just retarded and creates all of his own problems. him simply deciding to not do all of those retarded things would resolve all of his so called problems instantly.
Your opinion is noted and subsequently discarded.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:45 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,185,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OIF VET View Post
how do people get their hands on this in the first place? I got chronic back pain and my doc wont even prescribe me any pain killers for it, but instead he wants me to continue physical therapy for another 6 months [which isnt helping] before he upgrades my pain relief, right now he's got me on 600mg Gabapentin which aint doing much
What helps with back pain is having corticosteroids injected - I think it was prednisone I got. Works for up to half a year. You can get that from a pain clinic or from a doctor specializing in sports injuries.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:59 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,784,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Know anybody with that problem? I have known a couple people. Here in Fl it seems more and more epidemic. Some guy named Ken in the responses to the article says he doesn't think it is as bad as they make it out to be.

He might changed his mind if he found out that his friend, or relative, or daughter, or former girlfriend were addicted and wasting away and or turning to prostitution to get some "blues" from a dealer.

I know a couple past band mates wasting away, a friend's brother, knew a neighbor where I use to live all looking forward to when their "script" gets renewed and turning to other sources to get more in between. I found out a past girlfriend is now prostituting because she got hooked on "roxies" when only a couple years ago when I was with her she wasn't into any of that.

And who is the largest culprit to this?, unscrupulous people in the medical field with access to these drugs.

My friends, my former girlfriend, are not bad people. And it breaks my heart to find this out and that I can't do anything to help them other than give them advise.

I have said I favor legalizing drugs, but what do you do when the doctors get you hooked?

Agents dismantle alleged pill mills that netted $40 million - Yahoo! News
Ken is misinformed. Florida is a disaster area for opiate addiction, and a recent police presentation I went to here in Michigan had the sheriff explaining that it's the epicenter of the opiate epidemic for the whole country because there are almost no meaningful laws to prevent any chucklehead in the state from setting up a "pain clinic" that is just an excuse to hand out opiates by the 5-gallon bucket. As I was driving to that presentation, they had a news item on our local radio station that a kid had just died from taking a single tablet of his grandmother's Opana -- the latest sledgehammer-strength opiate on the market.

Let me note that working in substance abuse on the far end of the country, hey, we have qute a problem here, too. People call in all day and half the night demanding addictions treatment that usually started with a legal prescription or someone's leftover tablets in the medicine chest.

I have had to argue with medical staff who want to give me opiates for EVERYTHING even after I've said I want nothing to do with the wretched stuff. In one case, a nurse tried to tell me that the anti-inflammatory I was asking for "is a heavy narcotic you can get addicted to...But the doctor will be happy to give you LorTabs (an opiate)." Did she ever get told off! The idea that's fashionable right now is that you must never, never, never be allowed to feel an instant of pain. And the only thing that will help is opiates and lots of them.

What nobody tell you is that opiates make pain WORSE. That's why you need more and more of them. Moist heat, physical therapy, stretching, fold & hold, dietary changes, all kinds of things work on pain but just try to get a doctor to suggest those!

If you know someone who has a problem, direct them to get help at any substance-abuse treatment center that takes their insurance. If they don't have any, there may be scholarships available through the treatment centers or funding through the health or mental health depts. Of course it's really the doctor's responsibility, but many of them are absolutely clueless or easy to snow. They say stupid stuiff like "if you're really in pain you can't get addicted" or "you don't have an addictive personality, so I can prescribe anything safely."

Tell the addicts you know that once they are clean of the stuff their pain-response systems will start to straighten out, but for a while they are going to feel like death on a stick. The only way to build your pain tolerance back up is to let yourself feel pain, and make yourself function in spite of it. It does take practice, but it can be done.

They are working on passing a law that will make it illegal for anyone to prescribe anything addictive without specialized training. That would be a major step in the right direction.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:34 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,741,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Ken is misinformed. Florida is a disaster area for opiate addiction, and a recent police presentation I went to here in Michigan had the sheriff explaining that it's the epicenter of the opiate epidemic for the whole country because there are almost no meaningful laws to prevent any chucklehead in the state from setting up a "pain clinic" that is just an excuse to hand out opiates by the 5-gallon bucket. As I was driving to that presentation, they had a news item on our local radio station that a kid had just died from taking a single tablet of his grandmother's Opana -- the latest sledgehammer-strength opiate on the market.
A lot of the pain clinics have been closed, and docs have been told to not hand out pills like candy, and as a result the price of pills has gone up, and users are switching to heroin.

Heroin deaths creep up statewide as other opiates become too expensive - Florida - MiamiHerald.com

Following a statewide war against prescription drug abuse, there are early signs of growing heroin use as an alternative to opiate pills, which are becoming harder and more expensive to get.

In an analysis of drug-related deaths for 2011, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement flagged heroin as one of the year’s most harmful drugs. Heroin deaths statewide increased by 18.8 percent to 62.

Fifteen of those heroin-related deaths happened in Miami — the second-highest number in the state, according to the FDLE report. Orlando was the first with 18 deaths. Fort Lauderdale had three.

When I ask my patients, they say, ‘Yeah, I couldn’t get oxycodone, and now I’m using heroin, four or five bags,’ ” said Dr. Patricia Junquera, a University of Miami assistant professor of psychiatry and a doctor at Jackson Memorial Hospital’s detox unit. “I think more people are switching to heroin.’’
The change could mean big problems for Miami-Dade, which some doctors say is desperately lacking in detoxification facilities for the rich and poor alike.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:51 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,837,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Don't care about the big "pain clinic" issue in FL. Have read about it for years, how it's supposedly a big "problem" there. DEA are the bad guys to me, as usual. Nobody put a gun to these drug addicts head and made them scoff down drugs. They did it to themselves.

If their addicted state has made them negligent in some way such that they are not fulfilling a legal obligation (e.g. child neglect, engaging in crime, perhaps embezzling away the families money to support their habit, etc...), then legally address it on that end since that is where the actual wrong is insofar as imposing negative externality [harm] on others.
Addicts are substantially more likely to be arrested and charged with repeated B&E, shop lifting and return schemes. County jails/prisons are packed full with em. Families are abandoned and there's no getting child support from someone who is unemployed or sitting in prison.

We all pay the price of these lousy choices.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:06 PM

8,646 posts, read 9,161,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
A lot of the pain clinics have been closed, and docs have been told to not hand out pills like candy, and as a result the price of pills has gone up, and users are switching to heroin.

Heroin deaths creep up statewide as other opiates become too expensive - Florida - MiamiHerald.com

Following a statewide war against prescription drug abuse, there are early signs of growing heroin use as an alternative to opiate pills, which are becoming harder and more expensive to get.

In an analysis of drug-related deaths for 2011, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement flagged heroin as one of the year’s most harmful drugs. Heroin deaths statewide increased by 18.8 percent to 62.

Fifteen of those heroin-related deaths happened in Miami — the second-highest number in the state, according to the FDLE report. Orlando was the first with 18 deaths. Fort Lauderdale had three.

When I ask my patients, they say, ‘Yeah, I couldn’t get oxycodone, and now I’m using heroin, four or five bags,’ ” said Dr. Patricia Junquera, a University of Miami assistant professor of psychiatry and a doctor at Jackson Memorial Hospital’s detox unit. “I think more people are switching to heroin.’’
The change could mean big problems for Miami-Dade, which some doctors say is desperately lacking in detoxification facilities for the rich and poor alike.
Now ask yourself where is all that heroin coming from? I know where and I also know where much of these prescription pills are coming from. Afghanistan is the first and organized crime is the second who have hijacked several pill manufacturers warehouses in several states.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:57 PM

15,552 posts, read 10,544,423 times
I don't personally know anybody that has a problem, but you sure hear about it. My spouse had surgery and came home with a pain pump and a prescription for Oxycontin, he was in severe pain though. He threw up with his second Oxycontin (threw them away), we called and got something else. Can't remember what it was, he was on that for about 10 days with no issues. While I know it's a problem I sure hate to see them eliminate pain killers. Sometimes we need them. I got three days of something (can't remember what it was) when I had my wisdom teeth pulled. I appreciated some relief, same thing after I gave birth (that's the only times I remember ever taking anything). I dunno, maybe they should check patients histories better? I don't have the answer, but do we all have to suffer because a few get hooked? How do they get refills away? Geeze, it's not like taking them was that great, I'd rather have chocolate. I can't imagine being in chronic pain and not being able to have something, same thing with people who are passing away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies