Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 01:33 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times

Advertisements

Know anybody with that problem? I have known a couple people. Here in Fl it seems more and more epidemic. Some guy named Ken in the responses to the article says he doesn't think it is as bad as they make it out to be.

He might changed his mind if he found out that his friend, or relative, or daughter, or former girlfriend were addicted and wasting away and or turning to prostitution to get some "blues" from a dealer.

I know a couple past band mates wasting away, a friend's brother, knew a neighbor where I use to live all looking forward to when their "script" gets renewed and turning to other sources to get more in between. I found out a past girlfriend is now prostituting because she got hooked on "roxies" when only a couple years ago when I was with her she wasn't into any of that.

And who is the largest culprit to this?, unscrupulous people in the medical field with access to these drugs.

My friends, my former girlfriend, are not bad people. And it breaks my heart to find this out and that I can't do anything to help them other than give them advise.

I have said I favor legalizing drugs, but what do you do when the doctors get you hooked?

Agents dismantle alleged pill mills that netted $40 million - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 01:37 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
many, many get hooked on pain killers

be it ty3, percs, or valuim

the key is to take as little as possible

after I was injured in Iraq, I could have easily gotten hooked on that crap..but I have a high pain tollerance and dont like to take too many meds if possible

my script said 1-2 every 4 hours...I would take 1/2 every 8 hours and just deal with the pain.....

Old 08-24-2011, 01:37 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Doctors who are responsible and dont want to lose their practice did not get addicts hooked. Thats the first thing you learn at Al-anon.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:40 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
It appears that these pill mills are a big time issue in Florida and they are finally cracking down.

Here on LI in NY, pills are also very popular..but since we don't have as many of these establishments, when people keep chasing the high or can't get their hands on the pills, they end up switching to heroin, which is plentiful and cheap.

When I was in high school only hard core "dirtbags" would even think of doing heroin. Now, it's cheaper and easier to get than pot, and you start by snorting it which doesn't have the stigma or "sleazy" factor that injecting does.

Of course, once you get hooked on snorting you inevitably end up smoking and then injecting, as the high is never as good as it was before. You hear about former high school cheerleaders ODing here. We recently had a quadruple homocide in Medford when an Oxy addict robbed a local pharmacy and decided to kill all the witnesses. Prescription pain pill abuse is a big, big problem.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:52 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,630 times
I view these kinds of folks that if isn't the pills that get them, it'll just be something else so why punish all the patients who legitimately need pain management? I think some random checking on the patients would help curb the problem e.g. if your receiving scheduled narcotics and get caught pole dancing at the local strip club, odds are you didn't need the meds to begin with.
I also think criminal records should be checked and if the patient has past drug charges that should be a red flag. More treatment centers should be available because unless the addict has premium insurance there are not a lot of options to get clean.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:56 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
"dirtbags".

Had a conversation (not on this forum) with a guy a while ago who called people who are hooked "scum" and how they should be locked away and or even shot.

He doesn't realize about my former bandmate who's dad is a succesful realtor, came from a stable family and my friend who would give the shirt off his back for you. How after a motorcycle accident he went down that dark road. Maybe he would say the same thing if it was his daughter or ex girlfriend that were once stable people but after a accident later on that he found out got arrested for solicitation due to a roxie addiction?

Worse yet, a article I read says "oxy, "roxie", "blues" and such are now in high schools. And these pills are not cheap fetching $15 to $20 a pill on the street according to a site I read about this.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
I view these kinds of folks that if isn't the pills that get them, it'll just be something else so why punish all the patients who legitimately need pain management? I think some random checking on the patients would help curb the problem e.g. if your receiving scheduled narcotics and get caught pole dancing at the local strip club, odds are you didn't need the meds to begin with.
I also think criminal records should be checked and if the patient has past drug charges that should be a red flag. More treatment centers should be available because unless the addict has premium insurance there are not a lot of options to get clean.

When it comes to drugs, not all are created equal. Opiates are extremely dangerous and addictive. The danger is not exaggerated like pot or even cocaine.

Having a free flow of pills that are easy to get your hands on creates a lot more addicts than if they were more difficult to get. These pill factories are simply criminal drug dealers acting under a facade of legality. The one guy they arrested for runnig some of these places was a big time convicted cocaine dealer. How they hell was he even allowed to start this business?

Old 08-24-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Had a conversation (not on this forum) with a guy a while ago who called people who are hooked "scum" and how they should be locked away and or even shot.

He doesn't realize about my former bandmate who came from a succesful realtor, a stable family and my friend who would give the shirt off his back for you. How after a motorcycle accident he went down that dark road. Maybe he would say the same thing if it was his daughter or ex girlfriend that were once stable people but after a accident later on that he found out got arrested for solicitation?

Worse yet, a article I read says "oxy, "roxie", "blues" and such are now in high schools.
They've been in high schools for a long time.

Vicodin is prescribed like aspirin now. Stub your toe? You can get vicodin. That's where it all starts. You get some vicodin (hydrocodone generic name) for some dental work you have. You leave 4 or 5 pills in the bottle in your medicine cabinet because you didn't need them. Your 15 year old swipes them, takes them to school, shares them with friends, and they realize that opiates feel pretty damn good. They start looking around the internet and realize there's a stronger version of this stuff...Oxy. etc, you can see where it goes from there.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:08 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,089,219 times
I know several people hooked or were hooked. The struggle they go through is almost unbelievable for a substance that can technically be obtained legally.

I on the other hand don't see the hype. I always just get sick or nauseous from it.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I know several people hooked or were hooked. The struggle they go through is almost unbelievable for a substance that can technically be obtained legally.

I on the other hand don't see the hype. I always just get sick or nauseous from it.

I've experienced the effect of a heavy duty opiate before, administered at an emergency room for a severe pain issue..

I can see the hype and I would discourage anyone from taking opiates recreationally...you are definitely playing with fire. There is a good reason why opiate addiction has had people in it's grip for thousands of years...because an opiate high does temporarilly remove all pain and worry, it's basically as close to being "back in the womb" as you can get. The problem is..it's never better than the first time, and it's highly addictive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies