Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:56 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,743,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Who is the average investor?

When banks bundle these prooperties THEY ARE CASH TRANSACTIONS!

You usually have to have several million in cash available before a bank will even THINK about dealing with you.

How many AVERAGE INVESTORS do you know like this?
There are plenty of 'average' investors who are readily investing in these properties. You just need to wait until a 15 day period passes, where the owner occupants get the first crack at it (government homes). Bank owned properties you can bid on immediately, and cash usually wins. I have a realtors license and have sold a few. They don't last that long.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:07 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,485,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post

I wish I could get in on this.
Read the article. They will probably end up as real estate investment trusts (REITS) which you could invest in.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:09 PM

17,403 posts, read 12,008,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
NEW YORK (RealMoney) -- The largest transfer of wealth from the public to private sector is about to begin. The federal government will be bulk-selling the massive portfolio of foreclosed homes now owned by HUD, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to private investors -- vulture funds.

These homes, which are now the property of the U.S. government, the U.S. taxpayer, U.S. citizens collectively, are going to be sold to private investor conglomerates at extraordinarily large discounts to real value.

You and I will not be allowed to participate. These investors will come from the private-equity and hedge-fund community, Goldman Sachs(GS_) and its derivatives, as well as foreign sovereign wealth funds that can bring a billion dollars or more to each transaction.

A Huge Housing Bargain -- but Not for You - TheStreet
Blame Barney and Co.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:04 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,233,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Read the article. They will probably end up as real estate investment trusts (REITS) which you could invest in.
Sure, they will jack prices up and sell it to the rest of us at a great profit.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:11 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,743,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Not nearly the same thing, like the difference between owning an oil well and owning some oil stock.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:16 PM

356 posts, read 373,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i see good and bad things in this;

the good

at least these houses are going to be occupied, rents generated, and taxes paid again

the bad

it will pretty much all be section 8 housing that will be evenly distributed around the country
You got that right. First the healthcare system, then the car companies, then the banks and now the housing industry. The more people on the dole, the more votes. Ugh!!!!!! Can't wait for 2012.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:47 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,629,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
There are plenty of 'average' investors who are readily investing in these properties. You just need to wait until a 15 day period passes, where the owner occupants get the first crack at it (government homes). Bank owned properties you can bid on immediately, and cash usually wins. I have a realtors license and have sold a few. They don't last that long.
i think you are talking about a different program.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:12 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,631,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
There is nothing really new here.

Banks have been bundling properties ever since the financial crises began to get them off the books. What often isn't discussed is these distressed properties produce NO INCOME but they still require payment of of property, taxes and other expenses. In other words they are A LIABILITY.

There are no other financial entities in the country capable of buying homes in bulk like large investment firms, private equites, and hedge. People need to keep in mind these corporations are taking a HUGE RISK. In order to make a profit they have to be able to flip these homes to other investors at higher prices in the most distressed housing market since the Great Depression.
How are they going to sell them in say, the ***hole of Detroit with 25% unemployment? No one wants to live there....You cant sell or flip when there arent takers....maybe they could make them into giant hoovervilles though....oh wait they already did that...It will look like west Miami

Old 08-25-2011, 09:14 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,793,804 times
I hate to say it, but at this point I don't really care anymore. The government got in way over its head and now they have this huge glut of houses. I say sell them off or rent them. Do something to get some money back. It's such a mess that I don't really even see a different option.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:41 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,404,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
That is my point! The government will not talk to a guy who just wants to buy a house our two, you need to come in with hundreds of millions in order to be "allowed" to buy these deals. Did you read the OP article?

In the early 90's they created the RTC to dispose of REO's from the Savings and Loan crash, especially housing in Texas. I remember seeing books filled with houses for sale, one at a time. This should be the model, not helping Goldman Sachs buy low.
Talk to a realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies