Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:07 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,099,690 times

Advertisements

I keep reading threads calling for the silencing of, or removing of the "Tea Party" (as if the 1st Amendment doesn't apply to these people, but that's a different topic) anyway, there is no "party." We are a collection of people who share the similar idea of the government cutting spending and getting their house in order. People of all political affiliations, races, religions and ethnicity's. Basically when you say that we have to be "silenced" you're unwittingly advocating fascism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 09:09 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I keep reading threads calling for the silencing of, or removing of the "Tea Party" (as if the 1st Amendment doesn't apply to these people, but that's a different topic) anyway, there is no "party." We are a collection of people who share the similar idea of the government cutting spending and getting their house in order. People of all political affiliations, races, religions and ethnicity's. Basically when you say that we have to be "silenced" you're unwittingly advocating fascism.

Soooo why is there a "Tea Party" Caucus in DC?

Old 08-26-2011, 09:11 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
\People of all political affiliations, races, religions and ethnicity's. Basically when you say that we have to be "silenced" you're unwittingly advocating fascism.
I don't know a single Democrat who calls themselves a tea party member. Even if they are I am certain its below 1% of the caucus. Why do you need to misrepresent the political diversity of the Tea Party?

Why do they seem to have so many consistently social conservative opinions on social issues?

I could get behind a group that wants the government get its financial house in order.... But not this group.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:22 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
This should be obvious to anyone. There is no political party called the TEA Party, and there never has been. It is a movement, not a political party, that began with a handful of Libertarians in 1974 and became national on April 15, 1977.

Contrary to popular belief, Ron Paul had absolutely nothing to do with the creation of the TEA Party movement.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:26 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I don't know a single Democrat who calls themselves a tea party member. Even if they are I am certain its below 1% of the caucus. Why do you need to misrepresent the political diversity of the Tea Party?

Why do they seem to have so many consistently social conservative opinions on social issues?

I could get behind a group that wants the government get its financial house in order.... But not this group.
I first heard about this group back in 2009 from listening to Beck. He was pushing it as a non partisan mixture of a Republicans and Democrats. I was very skeptical but willing to consider this might be true. After having observed their handiwork, however, I conclude they are the same patchwork of John Birch elements that have plagued us for decades. They are non partisan in that they are made up of conservative Republicans and fringe groups that are ever further right.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:26 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:

The ONLY issue the original TEA Party movement was concerned about was taxation. Hence, their acronym: "Taxed Enough Already." Whenever Congress enacted a massive tax increase, there has been a TEA Party protest on April 15th of that same year. The first one was on April 15, 1977. Their second national protest was on April 15, 1993.

Since 2008 the TEA Party movement has been hijacked by those with different agendas. It is nothing like what it was originally created to do.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:36 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,091 times
The following article was a study begun before the Tea Party became a political force. It's a short article but interesting.

From http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/17/op...tea-party.html

So what do Tea Partiers have in common? They are overwhelmingly white, but even compared to other white Republicans, they had a low regard for immigrants and blacks long before Barack Obama was president, and they still do.
More important, they were disproportionately social conservatives in 2006 — opposing abortion, for example — and still are today. Next to being a Republican, the strongest predictor of being a Tea Party supporter today was a desire, back in 2006, to see religion play a prominent role in politics. And Tea Partiers continue to hold these views: they seek “deeply religious” elected officials, approve of religious leaders’ engaging in politics and want religion brought into political debates. The Tea Party’s generals may say their overriding concern is a smaller government, but not their rank and file, who are more concerned about putting God in government.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:39 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
These are TEABAGGERS! the difference between them and the real TEAPARTIERS is this: If they were against taxation would it be against Repuplicans AND Democratic politicians. These TEABAGGERS are a front for the republicans and claim that they are not. In otherwords they will say and do things that the republicans cant/will not, and if they say something extremely stupid like Bachman often does they can say that they had nothing to do with it.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Soooo why is there a "Tea Party" Caucus in DC?
Okay, using that logic, or lack thereof, can you talk to me a bout the Black Party or the Hispanic Party, since they too have congressional congresses.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:

See you just did it. I can join the National Republican Party,National Dem Party, National Libertarian Party, etc. I can not become a "member" of the National Tea Party; because there is none.

As for social conservatives, so what, are we not allowed to have an opinion or do you wish to muzzle us as well? There are many social conservative democrats, where is your post regarding them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies