Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 06:31 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleged return of serfdom View Post
Global Warming science is overwhelming. The theory is the highest level of science other than a law, and there are few laws (see thermodynamics).

Like other theories, including gravity, people will probably profit in a capitalistic society (see airplanes).

You would have to be either a) uneducated and unable to read or b) willfully ignorant not to accept the truth science offers when it comes to man-made global warming (AGW)

I guess you drank two doses of the kool-aid. By the way, what are your academic credentials which provide you with the knowledge that the debunked theory of man made global warming is true?

I love it when arm chair scientists try to evaluate the literature. It is hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 09:32 PM

553 posts, read 1,027,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
IMO, if more folks understood probability and statistics, no one would purchase a lottery ticket or go to Vegas.
All one need do is stand next to a catalytic converter and multiply that heat by every car on earth, to know man is messing with Mother Nature.
Exactly. Most peope who deny the fact that plant's climate is warming just repeat some brain washing videos. Most of them say "there is not enough evidence to say that we are 100% sure". This is not how scientific facts are proved. There may be not 100% evidence that Ibuprofen kills the pain. One can claim that it just acts like a placebo. Still there is a significant evidence that it helps, and physicians use it.
Most of people who repeat this hideous videos, have no idea how scientific facts about the nature are established,
while smart people do not even have to google. Just use your brain and look around.
And in the end, does it really matter if "there is such beast as Global warming" or is it just a legend?
Who cares.
We have to pollute the atmosphere less. Period.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:08 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
.... It suggests that 12 of the 14 mass extinctions in the history of the earth occurred due to global warming, and it's effects on the deep seas. When things get warm enough, marine life dies, causing depletion of oceanic oxygen, release of sulfur dioxide gas and extinction of most forms of life. ....
These 12 mass extinctions due to global warming...when did they occur? Were they caused by mankinds burning of fossil fuels and emissions of "greenhouse gasses"? Or were they perchance naturally occuring events?

Old 08-30-2011, 11:02 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
Exactly. Most peope who deny the fact that plant's climate is warming just repeat some brain washing videos. Most of them say "there is not enough evidence to say that we are 100% sure". This is not how scientific facts are proved. There may be not 100% evidence that Ibuprofen kills the pain. One can claim that it just acts like a placebo. Still there is a significant evidence that it helps, and physicians use it.
Most of people who repeat this hideous videos, have no idea how scientific facts about the nature are established,
while smart people do not even have to google. Just use your brain and look around.
And in the end, does it really matter if "there is such beast as Global warming" or is it just a legend?
Who cares.
We have to pollute the atmosphere less. Period.
Problem with your last statement is co2 is NOT a pollutant. Now that the EPA considers it one thanks to Lisa Jackson and her cronies we will be paying the piper for something that is vital for survival on this planet. Co2 makes up such a small percentage of the dreaded greenhouse effect (which we wouldn't be here if there was no greenhouse effect btw) that it's ridiculous to take the steps these loons want to take. Then meanwhile China and India pump away and nobody lets out a squeak. If co2 was so bad they'd be calling for an immediate halt not some carbon trading scheme to get rich. Yeah like you said use your brain and look around.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:07 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
These 12 mass extinctions due to global warming...when did they occur? Were they caused by mankinds burning of fossil fuels and emissions of "greenhouse gasses"? Or were they perchance naturally occuring events?
C'mon. Don't you know it was from a bunch of dinasaurs riding their dune buggies around back in the day?

All this nonsense started when these computer modelers created their "greenhouse effect" numbers not counting in water vapor which is anywhere from 70-90% of the thing. Oops. No they took it out which made the dreaded co2 seem like the big bad evil destroyer, connected it with humans, and ran with it and are still trying to run with it. Anybody who doesn't agree is now stupid or a racist as Al Gore says. It appears that's the dem battle cry nowdays. YOu don't agree with their lunacy well it's gotta be because your a racist. How unbelievably stupid is that??

Old 08-30-2011, 11:23 PM

553 posts, read 1,027,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Problem with your last statement is co2 is NOT a pollutant. .
You see, in my last statement I did not even mention CO2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
China and India pump away and nobody lets out a squeak. If co2 was so bad they'd be calling for an immediate halt not some carbon trading scheme to get rich. .
While this last thing seems to be the only supportive statement to the argument, it is totally hypothetical not to say entirely obscure, so I will reserve my comments until further clarification if any follows.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:47 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Quote:
Sounds like you really want to be let off the hook. In other words, if it occurs naturally even once, mankind should get a free pass to destroy all it wants because it is, after all, puny compared to the planet. Mankind's actions are not significant and we can all dump crap wherever we want.

I live where the nighttime temperature has gone up by 10 degrees in the last 50 years. We're enjoying our hottest August ever with no day this month dropping below 81. I used to live where the pollution from the steel mills would coalesce with moisture to form clouds that would dump tons of rain and snow on an adjacent state. I've seen directly--as have you--how human activity can affect the weather and eventually the climate.

Conservatives which comprise the brunt of the anti-global warming crowd talk about personal responsibility but are so keen to ignore collective responsibility. "Oh no, it's not humans. It's nature, you know, that thing we have no respect for. We value our money and our freedom above all else and we're willing to ignore reality and reason so we can keep our free market intact. The only thing polar bears are good for is a good steak!" I might have exaggerated there, but not by much.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:53 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Sounds like you really want to be let off the hook. In other words, if it occurs naturally even once, mankind should get a free pass to destroy all it wants because it is, after all, puny compared to the planet. Mankind's actions are not significant and we can all dump crap wherever we want.

I live where the nighttime temperature has gone up by 10 degrees in the last 50 years. We're enjoying our hottest August ever with no day this month dropping below 81. I used to live where the pollution from the steel mills would coalesce with moisture to form clouds that would dump tons of rain and snow on an adjacent state. I've seen directly--as have you--how human activity can affect the weather and eventually the climate.

Conservatives which comprise the brunt of the anti-global warming crowd talk about personal responsibility but are so keen to ignore collective responsibility. "Oh no, it's not humans. It's nature, you know, that thing we have no respect for. We value our money and our freedom above all else and we're willing to ignore reality and reason so we can keep our free market intact. The only thing polar bears are good for is a good steak!" I might have exaggerated there, but not by much.
Cannot rep you again yet

Old 08-31-2011, 12:04 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,609,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I guess you drank two doses of the kool-aid. By the way, what are your academic credentials which provide you with the knowledge that the debunked theory of man made global warming is true?

I love it when arm chair scientists try to evaluate the literature. It is hilarious.
Oh you mean like how you just did now? Funny how people who have no clue on issues like global climate change can speak for days how it's all a big scam. Well, I'm no expert in climate change myself, that's why I listen to the experts and they overwhelmingly see that climate change is a reality that is happening. Go bury your head in the sand all you want. Only when we face the truth can we take steps to ameliorate the issues.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:29 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,765,700 times
Quote:

Good question! Naturally occurring events. Volcanic eruptions, largely. Noone said climate would not change regardless, but messing with things in a massive, uncontrolled experiment does not seem too smart.

Interestingly, CO2 levels in the atmosphere are now far LOWER than in all of earth's history. It has been dropping for the last 50 million years. So, earth will survive, but humans arose in the Pleistocene, and this is relatively toasty for us. Also, the current sea levels and shorelines are home to billions of humans. Massive sea level changes don't mean much for the earth, but they might for those civilizations around the world that depend upon the current arrangement.

I am pretty convinced that Atlantis, or something like it, was a massive civilization that began in the Pleistocene, off the NW coast of India, when sea levels were a few hundred feet lower than today. Archaeology suggests advanced civilization that predates the impressively old civilizations of the subcontinent. We tend to think civilization arose in the fertile crescent in the last 7,000 years, but perhaps the evidence of more ancient roots was buried by the last "global warming" at the end of the Ice Ages. My only point is that climate change can have pretty massive effects on humans, geopolitical arrangement, war, famine,etc., so perhaps worth thinking about....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies