Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:48 PM

46,391 posts, read 27,257,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

The northeast states have the lowest divorce rates.
Oklahoma is the North East?

Quote:

Oklahoma tops list of highest divorce rates - Business - Personal finance - msnbc.com
The Fifty States (maps, flags, geography, population, statistics) — Infoplease.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 06:10 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,500,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Hmmmm.... first...what does divorce anywhere have to do with same sex marriage? Is that an insinuation that same sex couples are somehow more stable? Second, I was registered az a Republican for a long time, and identify as a Christian. I'm divorced. So? Is this what they call a "straw man"? That means titling with one subject when its really about another.......right? People vet divorced every day. It ain't no big deal.....regardless of location. Oh ....and for the guy that thinks Christianity forbids divorce...last I checked that ain't so. Catholocism does. One branch. That bucket wont paint a whole wall. Believe it or not....I digger Gods smart enough to know ai.t nobody perfect and bad marriages happen. Hell......I bet same sex couples break up every now and again.....ya think
I was the one who said Christianity forbids divorce, and historically, it has, though protestants have largely abandoned their opposition to it. Of course, the church has defined exceptions (like adultery, abuse, etc.) I don't know your situation, and it's none of my business, but conservative protestants and catholics have historically been very strict on divorce and remarriage, though not as much today. That's what I was saying.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:15 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,500,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that people in the South tend to marry at a younger age and date less prospective spouses before getting married compared to other regions of the US.
Well then those churches need to get better at teaching their kids to choose their partners carefully--at least those kids who go to church.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:17 PM

13,009 posts, read 18,975,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Why is anyone surprised? The only divorced president we've had so far as been Reagan. Family Values anyone?
But he was born and raised in IL, made his fortune and political name in CA. Neither is a Republican stronghold.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:24 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,219,700 times
As opposed to the many big "Liberal" states whose citizens have kids out of wedlock and can't support them

Why do these stupid statistics matter to so many conservatives and liberals?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:27 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,645,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Perhaps these states should worry less about same-sex marriage and more about opposite-sex marriage. I suggest a constitutional amendment in these states to ban divorce.

Oklahoma tops list of highest divorce rates - Business - Personal finance - msnbc.com
Oklahoma has alot of serious issues plus in this lousy economy...Interesting that Kentucky is on that list

Latest stats on fstv today- ONLY 65% of all American men are employed (full or part time) that is the worst number since 1940...

just a guess re: Northeast but divorce is extremely expensive, people suffer it out for 20 years instead ..

Old 08-30-2011, 08:36 PM

38,655 posts, read 26,466,325 times
Default Epic Rehashed Thread Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Ironic, isn't it? When I lived in the South I was shocked at how many divorced people there were, considering how religious it was.

True, they do, but they also have some of the highest rates of born again Christians, a religion that forbids divorce in most cases. So it's no excuse. I mean, shouldn't they be practicing what's in the bible, including the really difficult parts?
Rehashing the same ol' lies?

We've done this same thread how many times AUM?

We all know now that the states listed have a high incidence of marriage and that these same people marry at a younger age. People in DC, NY, CA, MA, NJ shack up together at a higher rate than the states listed so they always ends up being the ones compared to OK which has the lowest percentage of never married individuals.

As for the states you list (OK, AR , AK, AL, KY), my source lists the top five states for divorce as NV, AR, AL , WY and ID.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

As for states with the highest percentage of men who never married and women who never married, no real surprises here.

DC, AK, NY, CA and MA make the top of both lists with the states on your list making up the bottom of both.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 07:07 AM..

Old 08-30-2011, 08:40 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,147,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Hypocrisy runs deep with these ones. How many anti-gay right wingers have been caught in the closet with their pants down?
Explains why Tea Party participation is on the decline.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:42 PM

18,163 posts, read 15,690,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that people in the South tend to marry at a younger age and date less prospective spouses before getting married compared to other regions of the US.
AK ain't exactly south of much. The rest of the list is though so whatever. Spent some time in the South and I honestly have not seen anything so radically different from anywhere else in terms of courtship, dating or marriage. Men and women are men and women regardless of geography. Higher numbers of divorces in these states? Im not convinced it means much of anything. Sheesh....not a day goes by somebodys getting divorced somewhere.
The attempt of this thread to paint southern states[ or GOP states...whatever] az somehow totally populated by homophobic hypocrites is a miserable fail in my mind. I just ain't buying it. Pretty lame attempt actually.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:45 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,845,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
But he was born and raised in IL, made his fortune and political name in CA. Neither is a Republican stronghold.
Outside of the city of Chicago and close surrounding burbs, Illinois is a bright red state. Reagan grew up in a very republican rural area. It's just hypocritical he's looked at as the second coming of christ by the right wingers,..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Well then those churches need to get better at teaching their kids to choose their partners carefully--at least those kids who go to church.
That's the thing, the church teaches kids not to engage in sexual activity unless they are married, and once they are married, are told not to use birth control. Also that it's a good thing to procreate. Just look at the show with the religious nuts, what is it.., 200 kids and counting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies