Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 12:52 PM

855 posts, read 1,173,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
what does that have to do with Perry?

The governors hands are tied by law and constition. did David Grann point out these limitations in the article linked or is this another liberal hit piece?

do you read? have you ever even bothered to look the case up? let me give you a wikipedia version...

Quote:
Dr. Gerald Hurst, an Austin scientist and fire investigator, reviewed the case and concluded there was "no evidence of arson", the same conclusion reached by other fire investigators. Hurst's report was sent to governor Rick Perry's office as well as Board of Pardons and Paroles along with Willingham's appeal for clemency.[29] Neither responded to Willingham's appeals. In response to allegations that he allowed the execution of an innocent man, Perry was quoted as stating "he was a wife beater." "The whole case was based on the purest form of junk science," Hurst later said. "There was no item of evidence that indicated arson." Perry spokeswoman Katherine Cesinger said the Governor had weighed the "totality of the issues that led to (Willingham's) conviction." She said he was aware of a "claim of a reinterpretation of (the) arson testimony."[30]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 01:00 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post

Last time I checked, governors don't have the authority to put anyone to death.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:06 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,955,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
I prefer one innocent person be executed than let 10 guilty ones get away.
Well maybe you should go to a different Country. The founding fathers wanted safeguards to protect the innocent. There is nothing in the Constitution that demands justice for the guilty, but there is something in there about the rights of the accused.

I hope that you never are one of the innocent people found guilty of a crime that you did not commit.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:17 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
do you read? have you ever even bothered to look the case up? let me give you a wikipedia version...

I do read. quite a lot actually. I’m dyslexic and reading is very good therapy.

I know quite a bit about executions in my state of Texas.

I also have provided the links to the Texas statute regarding the role of the Governor in the pardon process as well as the link to the Texas State Constitution that gives over arching direction for the law.

So, reading some wiki or some linked op-ed about some execution that took place in Texas doesn’t do a bit of good in regards to the subject at hand.

Did some guy get put to death and some folks are challenging the execution? That happens about every third Sunday down here.

Now let’s compare what each of us has provided in the way of leisure reading material for the viewing public.

you have provided some story about someone who was put to death. (the point of the thread here is that Rick Perry is killing innocent people in Texas).

I have provided the actual law and the actual State Constitution that clearly indicates that NO TEXAS GOVERNOR HAS ANY SUCH POWER.

Who has provided the most appropriate information?

Old 09-02-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

you have provided some story about someone who was put to death. (the point of the thread here is that Rick Perry is killing innocent people in Texas).

I have provided the actual law and the actual State Constitution that clearly indicates that NO TEXAS GOVERNOR HAS ANY SUCH POWER.

Who has provided the most appropriate information?

Correct !

Old 09-02-2011, 02:04 PM

1,019 posts, read 590,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Amazing how many people on death row are innocent, huh?
There are actually more innocent people in prison than 'on the streets". If you don't believe me, just ask any inmate!!!!

Old 09-02-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Even if that one innocent person is you?

I think you have it backwards.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:13 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,955,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Even if that one innocent person is you?

I think you have it backwards.
I think you are right.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,921,382 times
Quote:

If you really feel that way and this is not just hyperbole, that is just sick. What if one of the dead innocents was a member of your family?

Old 09-02-2011, 04:32 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Amazing how many people on death row are innocent, huh?
All of them?????.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies