Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 02:26 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Bio diesel has had a rocky start in regards to quality (mostly due to hobbyists). But that was in it's infancy.
The new fuels are better for the engines than low sulphur diesel. Oregon and Nebraska mandate the biodiesel at 5% per gal. and the refiners of petro diesel are glad to use it, in order to increase lubricity.

I'd be curious to know the source of the fuel in Kansas, or if it was mainly homebrewers that didn't know about washing and ASTM standards.

bio diesel made from Camelina has a lower gel point than petrol and with the right processing, it has a higher Cetane.

The Navy is using a highly refined Camelina oil for it's fighter jets.
Honeywell Green Jet Fuel(TM) Powers U.S. Navy Green Hornet for Biofuels Certification... -- DES PLAINES, Ill., April 22 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
Navy completes successful trial of camelina-based helicopter biofuel : Biofuels Digest
I am sure that what you are saying is true but is there enough capacity for refining and production to keep us supplied or are we still a bit away from being there.

There were many of those "home made" farmers in the area and nearly all of them have given up on that experiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 02:29 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
. Countries like china and various european nations are betting the bank on it.
...and again they really have no choice in the matter if they want to secure domestic energy into the future. No country on earth is in the position the US is except for maybe Russia.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
No, i'm a drill baby drill guy....

If we have it here, use it here.

What i'm saying is that it is near impossible to meet our domestic needs under the current regulatory boondoggle, idealism or whatever...you call this joke of a gov't...

Biofuels aren't regulated like petrol. So at least we can spend our time on something that works.
You have seen me ranting about the EPA, I take it. It is past time to shut that place down and reform it with different leadership. That Jackson woman is working with Obama to destroy anything not Green and that will kill us in the end. Her recent regulation moves are about to get rid of us.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Spain is a "rubber chicken" arguement, Roy. Spain has a lot more systemic problems that go far beyond green energy projects.
Are you saying that they didn't kill many more jobs than they added with the inception of Green? Somehow it sounds like that is it and sure enough that is Obama administration talk.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:34 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I am sure that what you are saying is true but is there enough capacity for refining and production to keep us supplied or are we still a bit away from being there.

There were many of those "home made" farmers in the area and nearly all of them have given up on that experiment.
No, there isn't nearly enough production, but it is what we can do locally. If you farm you can take 15% of your ground based on 1,000 acres, and make enough fuel for your needs.

1 Acre can produce 80-120 gals depending on which crop.

We can't drill oil in our community, so it's our only option if we wan't fuel in an emergency.

I for one believe that this world is headed for just that emergency. Where the gas lines/ odd even days of the late seventies that took place in California will return in the form of rationing and worse.

This will happen sooner than we think, so that is why it is important for our food security, and personal independence.

If i could drill an oil well and pump crude, i'd build a small fractioning tower and make all kinds of fuel. Mommy gov't won't let me.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:47 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
Quote:
Our Leader calls things like this one in green energy an outstanding investment and yet he has p***ed away $535 million on this one. Not a very sound investment, was it? It kind of makes one wonder where the half billion dollars went.
$535 million is less than .004% of the total annual budget. I prefer to wonder about where that missing trillion went after 9/11, you know, the one that Rumsfeld said they couldn't find... Let's keep things in perspective. A 'failed' investment in green energy is hardly a real crime when you consider that millions of brain dead individuals would rather have us frack ourselves into economic security. And I'm using that word in its energy sense not as a code word for an expletive; however, on second thought, it's also appropriate.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:52 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Quote:
In other words you aren't about to say anything about how sound the "gift" to Solynga was as far as a sound "investment".
Yeah, I was terrible. I answered the question you put to me, instead of something in your head you didn't even ask me.

Guess what, start-up businesses fold an awful lot. They should investigate it, but it happens.

I know it's outside of your area of expertise, since running a cutting edge technology businesses is never given to the janitor....but it's reality.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:54 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
$535 million is less than .004% of the total annual budget. I prefer to wonder about where that missing trillion went after 9/11, you know, the one that Rumsfeld said they couldn't find... Let's keep things in perspective. A 'failed' investment in green energy is hardly a real crime when you consider that millions of brain dead individuals would rather have us frack ourselves into economic security. And I'm using that word in its energy sense not as a code word for an expletive; however, on second thought, it's also appropriate.
Didn't he report about the loss one day before 9/11?

And wasn't the Pentagons financial/accounting depts. at the tip of that attack?

Guess we'll never know where the TRILLION DOLLARS went... oh well... stupid us.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:03 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,607 times
Not when it cannot support itself in spite of massive government subsidies, and evidenced by the bankruptcy filings of three solar energy companies in the past sixteen months.

If private companies aren't going to throw printed money down the proverbial rathole to support such nonsense, there's no point in government doing likewise.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:05 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,648,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Not when it cannot support itself in spite of massive government subsidies, and evidenced by the bankruptcy filings of three solar energy companies in the past sixteen months.

If private companies aren't going to throw printed money down the proverbial rathole to support such nonsense, there's no point in government doing likewise.
This!! Especially with a $14 trillion debt we have to pay off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies