Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:28 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
As a former union member, I would like to say unions are for the most part, a cancer on business.

Just look at the Post Office. A once successful business model, is now on the brink of chapter11 due to the unions negotiated(actually strongarmed via threat of strike) contracts which amount to a staggering ~80% share of the USPS income, versus ~30% and ~50% for FedEx and UPS.
I worked for the Post office, the union was weak and the pay was poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 08:31 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
I worked for the Post office, the union was weak and the pay was poor.
Regardless what you think it was, the reality was that the compensation packages negotiated by the unions, on behalf of it's members, is killing the company. You cannot have a successful business with a higher than 80% share of your gross income going to salaries and compensation.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:35 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
At one time unions were VERY important but not anymore. Look at how they own the ca legislature & govenor. Also look at the USPS. What a mess.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:46 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,963,476 times
my wife's union took THREE YEARS to decide on very minor issues that affected payroll and time off. THREE YEARS. In the end, she got promoted, out of the union, and she couldn't be happier.

I thank my EMPLOYER for today's day off. And i don't have to pay dues to him.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:52 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,625 times
The public and union haters are hurting the post offices. the post offices are in financial trouble because people are using e-mail in place of getting off thier lazy asses and actually buying a card to send and too cheap to buy stamps. People are now too lazy to write out checks instead of autopay, online payments. It's not because of the uinons it's because people got lazy and petty about raising the price of stamps by a few pennies that and all the stupid excused to blame the post office for mail people forgot to mail or didn't want to mail out so the post office to the blame for all the BS excuses as to why that bill or whatever was supposed to be sent didn't get to it's destination from seconds to a whole dreaded death defying day.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:57 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
The public and union haters are hurting the post offices. the post offices are in financial trouble because people are using e-mail in place of getting off thier lazy asses and actually buying a card to send and too cheap to buy stamps. People are now too lazy to write out checks instead of autopay, online payments. It's not because of the uinons it's because people got lazy and petty about raising the price of stamps by a few pennies that and all the stupid excused to blame the post office for mail people forgot to mail or didn't want to mail out so the post office to the blame for all the BS excuses as to why that bill or whatever was supposed to be sent didn't get to it's destination from seconds to a whole dreaded death defying day.
Well, how does UPS, FedEX and others succeed without delivering mail. I mean the USPS has a monopoly on the use of mail boxes, and they still cant make it work.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:59 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
my wife's union took THREE YEARS to decide on very minor issues that affected payroll and time off. THREE YEARS. In the end, she got promoted, out of the union, and she couldn't be happier.

I thank my EMPLOYER for today's day off. And i don't have to pay dues to him.

Huh where I work people like you get the day off the backs of the union and it's members who pay the union to get that holiday off. Without the unions and the members say goodbye to that nice employer who gives you that day off or rather say goodbye to the lesser paid union member who pays for both of you to get that day off. You wife is lucy she was promoted instead just getting out of the union and that she doesn't have a bastard who gets away with anything he/she wants to torture her because of nephotism, favortism. Oh wait did your wife work in a political/Gov't job? that makes all the difference and it was those jobs with those unions and it's paying members that got you that day off.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:02 AM

128 posts, read 251,512 times
Quote:

Sure blame it on email and people being too lazy to pay bills through outdated methods. I don't think so. People pay bills online because its instant, safer and convenient. There's plenty of commerce going on online to make up for the lack of bills paid through mail.

The reason usps is in trouble is because the more business (work) you give the employees, the more they hate you.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:06 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Or the fact that its 2011 and people and business are using technology to be more efficient. Most banks now offer better rates for those using on line bill payment as it saves them money. The USPS has not been able to adapt to the new reality due to its excessive labor costs.

Good thing the govt wasn't behind horseshoes in the 1800s or we'd still have thousands of govt blacksmiths sitting on their dead a$$es collecting a govt wage benefits and pension

Old 09-05-2011, 09:12 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Quote:
Yes, I hear that these same lazy bums buy their food at supermarkets instead of hunting and gathering. They don't even make their own soap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies