Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 11:31 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,096,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Err, It is the private that is adding. The Public sector is shrinking.
That is what I said..the private sector wants to add, but the Govt is getting in the way for alot of reasons.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 11:48 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,077,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
If one can remember way back to December, the GOP blackmailed 'the great orator,' as you call him, to extend the tax-cuts on the rich in exchange for extending unemployment benefits for the jobless. If anything is a metaphor for the differences between the two Parties, this is it.
Tax cuts were for everyone. How is letting folks of ALL classes keep their money a bad thing. YOu folks act as though its the governments money to begin with. That is your problem. Your thinking backwards. It's OUR money they are stealing not the other way around.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:24 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,184,525 times
Quote:
Except that the stimulus likely DID work. It was just too small and contained too many tax cuts, whose effects are dubious. If you think doing the same thing is wrong, then don't do the same thing, have pure stimulus, w/o tax-cuts.
Government doesn't create jobs. That experiment didn't work in Japan, and hasn't worked on Europe.

It wasn't too small, it just doesn't work, never has , never will.

Tax cuts BTW has always worked. It puts money back in the people's hands, that spend the money, when money is spent, it means goods and services are being utilized. When people buy goods and services, it means jobs are created, if only to support stocking/sales staff, trucking goods, etc etc.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:06 PM

33,610 posts, read 18,282,013 times
If I am in debt should I spend more money to stimulate the economy? Does that help?

After many years of illegals draining our system,illegals sending billions of our dollars out of the country, trade deficits that send our money out of the country , giving jobs to illegals, giving handouts to illegals, a no grow tax base because jobs are going over seas with many companies leaving.
Government and state jobs with many perks are the norm, yet private sector jobs trail in perks and paycheck. Welfare fraud, medicaid fraud draining billions of our dollars.

It is no wonder why our government is in debt. No one looks at how it is all negative and we can't get out of debt because of big government that lets money and jobs drain out of the country .

Old 09-08-2011, 01:10 PM

27,401 posts, read 15,513,335 times
How much of the money will go to create job growth overseas, like the last time?

I recall Obama himself calling such spending actions as "irresponsible" and unpatriotic".

Shovel ready jobs anyone?

Old 09-20-2011, 10:25 PM

14,268 posts, read 19,013,765 times
People just don't realize the mess we were in and where this country was headed when Obama took office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
How much of the money will go to create job growth overseas, like the last time?
I hope not. If that happens, no Democrat will vote for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The right wingers said that 900 billion in new spending to continue the Bush tax cuts for the rich was "Absolutely necessary for job creation" and not to "raise taxes on the job creators" though none have been created,..
It couldn't be,...did the right wingers just lie so they could get more government handouts for the rich?
Right! Even Bush #41 realized you can't cut taxes without hurting the economy, which is why he didn't get the support of the Republicans and was a one term president.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:31 AM

29,980 posts, read 43,071,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post

I recall Obama himself calling such spending actions as "irresponsible" and unpatriotic".

Shovel ready jobs anyone?
Any funding for "green" jobs will be headed straight to China (after his donors/bundlers get their payback).

Old 09-21-2011, 06:34 AM

19,792 posts, read 14,005,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Right! Even Bush #41 realized you can't cut taxes without hurting the economy, which is why he didn't get the support of the Republicans and was a one term president.
What are you talking about? George H. W. Bush was the Republican nominee who was challenged by Pat Buchanan in the primary. Bush got 73% of the vote and therefore was favored by Republicans over Buchanan.

In the general election, Bill Clinton won 43.0%; George Bush got 37.5% and Ross Perot got 18.9%. It can be argued that Perot's candidacy peeled enough votes away from Bush to throw the election.

But I think you have the Republican talking point wrong. They say, "you can't raise taxes without hurting the economy" not "you can't cut taxes without hurting the economy." Both are actually wrong and it depends upon the economy.

As ALLAN R. SHICKMAN said in a NY Times letter:
Quote:
Should we increase taxes during a recession? Probably not, but are we in a recession? That depends on which economy we are looking at, because we have two now.

The upstairs economy is flying high. Wealth is piling upon wealth, and luxury goods are flying out of the boutiques.

But the economy down here is seriously hemorrhaging, and needs help badly. Our course should be clear: Increase taxes on the upstairs economy, and cut taxes downstairs.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:28 PM

14,268 posts, read 19,013,765 times
Quote:
In the general election, Bill Clinton won 43.0%; George Bush got 37.5% and Ross Perot got 18.9%. It can be argued that Perot's candidacy peeled enough votes away from Bush to throw the election.
Well, we can go back and forth on this, but he said there would be no new taxes (remember "read my lips...") during his campaign because, as you wrote, the Republicans believe that raising taxes is bad for the economy. The GOP turns a jaundiced eye on anyone who proposes a tax increase. When Bush couldn't keep his promise and was faced with a rising deficit, he compromised with the Democrats who insisted taxes were necessary to offset cuts in spending. I believe he lost a lot of the hardcore conservative support. I don't know how much of it went to Perot, but maybe that's one reason he got almost 19%. Just my opinion.

I don't understand your post, really, since I agreed with you and even gave you a rep for your comment.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:46 PM

59,555 posts, read 27,728,036 times
Quote:
If one can remember way back to December, the GOP blackmailed 'the great orator,' as you call him, to extend the tax-cuts on the rich in exchange for extending unemployment benefits for the jobless. If anything is a metaphor for the differences between the two Parties, this is it.
Only in in leftie logic world.

If the repubs just say NO, they are not working with the president.

If they COMPROMISE, the are blackmailing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies