Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 06:02 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
The states and guard should help. Not in monetary ways or rebuilding their homes. It appears you have a different idea of how the government should operate than I. It's quite a simple thing to yell "get out of wars" especially when you have no idea why they're being fought. That's for a different thread though.
please the war in iraq was for george's ego I guess if you don't want the state to help monetarily you want the guard to just hang out and make sure no one loots? what a great place that america would be, more homeless on the streets, children going hungry because we won't help our people when a natural disaster destroys their lives. you guys are all cheap SOB's worried your measly 1/16th of 1/10 of a dollar will go to help someone in need. so much compassion for mankind you have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 06:07 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
In Texas they are begging for FEMA go come in......but no Perry hasn't declared it a State of Emergency yet.

Then the President can declare a Disaster area on his own, if he so chooses.

A question I haven't seen an answer to:

Are the areas burned places that historically had natural wildfires from lightning strikes. If so, has the past practice been to extinguish all fires, leaving more piles of flammables every time?

If that's the case then, unfortunately, these fires were overdue. The Park Service changed its fire suppression policy a number of years ago to only fight those naturally occurring fires that threatened buildings. They discovered that putting out all fires was actually harming the habitat when flora had evolved that needed periodic fires to be healthy.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:07 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
please the war in iraq was for george's ego I guess if you don't want the state to help monetarily you want the guard to just hang out and make sure no one loots? what a great place that america would be, more homeless on the streets, children going hungry because we won't help our people when a natural disaster destroys their lives. you guys are all cheap SOB's worried your measly 1/16th of 1/10 of a dollar will go to help someone in need. so much compassion for mankind you have
I would refrain from the name calling as it's against the rules of the board.

So it's the governments job to now provide everyone with a home? Have you ever heard of charities? They do wonderful work. Government isn't a charity no matter how much you think it is. The job of the police is to protect the citizens no feed, cloth and house them. I suggest you join a charity and see how they operate. You will be pleasantly surprised.

As for the war as I said before that's for another thread. Start one if you wish to debate that.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Then the President can declare a Disaster area on his own, if he so chooses.

A question I haven't seen an answer to:

Are the areas burned places that historically had natural wildfires from lightning strikes. If so, has the past practice been to extinguish all fires, leaving more piles of flammables every time?

If that's the case then, unfortunately, these fires were overdue. The Park Service changed its fire suppression policy a number of years ago to only fight those naturally occurring fires that threatened buildings. They discovered that putting out all fires was actually harming the habitat when flora had evolved that needed periodic fires to be healthy.
The forest service used to have controlled burns to eliminate all the dead trees and sticks and the like. That was all stopped while Clinton was president. They are nothing but fuel for these fires now which is why they continue to get worse. Gotta save the dead trees though.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:12 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
The forest service used to have controlled burns to eliminate all the dead trees and sticks and the like. That was all stopped while Clinton was president. They are nothing but fuel for these fires now which is why they continue to get worse. Gotta save the dead trees though.
I cant speak for the entire US, but since the fires of 98 here in FL, the Forestry Service has stepped up prescribed burns.
I live in a National Forest, I get the notices all the time.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:14 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
I would refrain from the name calling as it's against the rules of the board.

So it's the governments job to now provide everyone with a home? Have you ever heard of charities? They do wonderful work. Government isn't a charity no matter how much you think it is. The job of the police is to protect the citizens no feed, cloth and house them. I suggest you join a charity and see how they operate. You will be pleasantly surprised.

As for the war as I said before that's for another thread. Start one if you wish to debate that.
I will take back the SOB but the cheap stands with all you guys that hate to see anyone get any handout from our government. just how much do you think you have personally paid to help out a victim of a disaster? america should not have staving children or old people eating out of dumpsters. a natural disaster destroys a lives. our government should help with low cost loans and temp. housing and all the rest of it. left up to charities...you can see how much that has put a dent in the homeless and hungry. far too many churches prefer to build huge churches then to give their money helping the downtrodden. we have some great churches and charities that do help but far to many that don't. they should lose their tax exemptions

Old 09-09-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I cant speak for the entire US, but since the fires of 98 here in FL, the Forestry Service has stepped up prescribed burns.
I live in a National Forest, I get the notices all the time.
Good they should be doing that. Hopefully they have learned the consequences of leaving all that dead wood around.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I will take back the SOB but the cheap stands with all you guys that hate to see anyone get any handout from our government. just how much do you think you have personally paid to help out a victim of a disaster? america should not have staving children or old people eating out of dumpsters. a natural disaster destroys a lives. our government should help with low cost loans and temp. housing and all the rest of it. left up to charities...you can see how much that has put a dent in the homeless and hungry. far too many churches prefer to build huge churches then to give their money helping the downtrodden. we have some great churches and charities that do help but far to many that don't. they should lose their tax exemptions
Apparently your not too involved in many church activities. I have been in the past and they do plenty. You want to see folks fed send that FEMA money to them.

We took in a family after the '93 floods up here for a month or so. They were of course friends of mine. That good enough for you or should I have bought them a new house?

Old 09-09-2011, 06:21 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Ron Paul truly jumped the shark when had the temerity to harken back to 1900 and at the same time pointing out that Galveston is in his district, because if there ever was an event that spurred the federal government to become involved in natural disasters it was the 1900 Galveston hurricane that effectively wiped Galveston off the map.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:22 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
So will everyone personally involved with the floods in the Northeast or the recent fires in Texas expect FEMA to come to their rescue even though they are Republicans and want to dismantle these governmental entities....or will they now become Democrats? I hope everyone can finally see how important keeping a strong central government is!
It's paid for, may as well get the unexpected benefits. Once it becomes obvious how useless it is, shut it down. Like Congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies