Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:54 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
No American student should have to pay anything for advanced education. Their resulting contributions to society way more than compensate for the expense of educating them.
So is food, cars and homes. You wanna start giving those away too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 08:04 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,869,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
You do understand the value of an edu..... err, never mind.

The value of anything is what someone is willing to pay you for it.

If someone doesn't utilize their education, what is it worth?

If it is so valuable, why should it be free?

Old 09-10-2011, 08:09 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
of course, everything has consequences.

who would want to pay for education if some loans were forgiven, and who would blame them?

what would that do to teachers, schools, and the education system?

you fix one thing, you collapse another.

LEAVE THE GOVERNMENT OUT OF IT.

this country is so full of people wanting freebies anymore that i am beginning to fear for our long-term future. (which i certainly did not worry about before).

bigjon, that is EXACTLY what some want-free EVERYTHING.

of course, the reality is that this is impossible and europe is going to find out before we do that it isn't sustainable.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:36 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Our local community college (NCC) had only a 14% graduation rate in 2009 according to my local newspaper: http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090816/NEWS/908160325&cid=sitesearch
The college administration dismissed the figures as misleading.

What nobody is talking about are all those that drop out. Why is government even paying for those that do not have the ability or the persistence to stay and graduate? Today are there grade point requirements to qualify for government backed student loans? I have to wonder how many dropouts were given government loans? It would mean that our government is simply financially backing - what would be a failing educational bureaucracy (especially with only the 14% graduation rate).

Old 09-10-2011, 08:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Our local community college (NCC) had only a 14% graduation rate in 2009 according to my local newspaper: http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090816/NEWS/908160325&cid=sitesearch
The college administration dismissed the figures as misleading.

What nobody is talking about are all those that drop out. Why is government even paying for those that do not have the ability or the persistence to stay and graduate? Today are there grade point requirements to qualify for government backed student loans? I have to wonder how many dropouts were given government loans? It would mean that our government is simply financially backing - what would be a failing educational bureaucracy (especially with only the 14% graduation rate).
Because our K-12 education system has determined that everyone IS a winner and everyone CAN go to college. Once they get there though they are forgotten by government statistics. Reality of college hits them because college is not doctored down like K-12 is.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:47 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
So I'm seeing this make the rounds on Facebook -- sign a petition to forgive all student loan debt, which is somewhere around $900B.

Would that entire $900B be actual deficit spending?

Would forgiving student loans be rewarding irresponsible borrowing behavior or rewarding poor educational choices?

Would it set a bad precedent for future loan choices?

Why stop there, why not pay off all credit card debt?

Would this have a true stimulative effect?

Is this in any way a serious proposal?

OF course not.

1. If you can't afford to go to college, start at a cheaper community college and then transfer credits.

2. Work during school and the summers to pay for college (gee- that is what I did).

3. Get a degree that will actually get you a job such that you can pay back loans.

4. Study in school - drinking and partying will not achieve success.

5. Consider a trade school or other avenue rather than college to secure a job.

I have always wondered why in the hell any parent in thier right mind would allow a child to get an art, dance, theater, history, literature, or other worthless degrees. Those studies are for the ultra rich who do not need to get jobs upon graduation. Education is a tool, not a plaything.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:54 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,956 times
My butt !
I don't want to pay for other people to go to college when I never "had"
to go myself .
Don't loan any more , there are no jobs anyway , then the kids wouldn't have anything to payoff.
Let them stay at their parents house get a low paying job and pay for school before they go.
Goodness forbid we have less lawyers .

Old 09-10-2011, 08:55 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
I can understand why this would seem reasonable...I saw an expose' on 60 minutes last year about just this...
Alot of people went to those private colleges (University of Phoenix being one) and amassed thousands of dollars in student loans only to find that their training was deficiant and their degree was practically worthless.
Yeah, so? They can file the proper paperwork with the Department of Education. If they can prove what you claim, then their loan will be forgiven. It's in the regulations. If those jack-asses would quite posting videos of themselves getting drunk and stupid and have group sex, they might actually have time to visit the DoEd's web-site and read important information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
These former students can't get a job in their fields, they have all this student loan debt and because of this it goes on their credit report and that can makes them unemployable in the public sector...it is a serious downward spiral.
Well, I see they've enrolled in Foresight 101 for 3 credit hours.

Why don't you explain to everyone how it is even remotely possible to amass $80,000 in student loan debt attending an "on-line university" (snicker).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Generally people with college educations are employed. Once more generally those people with college educations are paying on their loans. This is anecedotally evidenced by the number of people who are on this thread talking about how they are paying their loans. While you seemed to take my post as an excuse to rant you missed the point that if people's loans were forgiven those very people, including many in this thread would be able to put that money they are now paying loans on towards things that would be more beneficial to the economy and that would have a stimulative effect. Once more I did not endorse such an idea, but rather said it would have a stimulative effect that may or may not be worth the cost. You seem to be approaching this with spite and disdain for people who got a college education. It seems your goal is to punish a straw man rather then address the OP.
It won't have a stimulative effect, because there are no jobs and there won't be any jobs for the remainder of the decade. If you want to work, you'll have to wait for a Baby Boomer to die or retire (and no I'm not suggesting people start knocking off Boomers -- but that might actually save your Social Security and Medicare programs) and then fight the hordes of unemployed and underemployed competing against you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Using your logic, why should young people continue to pay into Social Security when they will have no benefit from it?
You don't have any benefit from it. If you were born after 1971, there is no Social Security/Medicare. As of June 2011 SSA report the system is bankrupt in 2038 and unable to payout benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
There are way too many people whose lives are stifled from tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars of student loan debt. If we can bail out banks and seniors, we should certainly consider bailing out the most productive citizens.
I'm not bailing you out. You got $80,000 in student loan debt?

Wrong answer. University of Cincinnati is only $3,300 per year. That's $13,200 for a four-year degree from a top university.

So where did the other $66,800 go to?

Pissed away. Spring Break in Rio, Christmas Break skiing in Vermont, summers in Sarasota, new car, lots of clothes, $900 purses, etc etc.

The best I'm willing to do is forgive the interest accrued on that money that was actually spent on tuition and fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
Why do you consider, based on one of your fallacious and complex questions, that funding college with student loans constitutes "irresponsible behavior or rewarding poor educational choices"?
Because it is. You can't tell me that those kids who borrowed $15,000 and $20,000 for um, "education" spent it on education. I ain't that stupid. I worked and paid my own way through the last two years of undergrad school and all of my graduate school. You don't need student loans, unless you're going to medical school. I can see where you'd need student loans for that.

Yeah, that's right, I taught intro-classes for 3 years. I know exactly what tuition and fees cost and I know exactly what those students spent their tax-payer student loans on, and it wasn't education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
but the gov. gives you subsidized loans that you cannot hide from, cannot discharge in Chapter 7 or 11, and must pay back someday.
You can discharge them if you are disabled.

In addition to wanting to dump their student loans, I note from a number of news articles that those kids are also likely to simply walk away from their mortgage if they get underneath it.

Got a whole generation of weak-kneed turds out there. That doesn't bode well for America's future.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:56 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
So I'm seeing this make the rounds on Facebook -- sign a petition to forgive all student loan debt, which is somewhere around $900B.

Would that entire $900B be actual deficit spending?

Would forgiving student loans be rewarding irresponsible borrowing behavior or rewarding poor educational choices?

Would it set a bad precedent for future loan choices?

Why stop there, why not pay off all credit card debt?

Would this have a true stimulative effect?

Is this in any way a serious proposal?
Absolutely not! Education should be limited to only those who have been proven to have the genetic and financial ability to learn.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

I have always wondered why in the hell any parent in thier right mind would allow a child to get an art, dance, theater, history, literature, or other worthless degrees. Those studies are for the ultra rich who do not need to get jobs upon graduation. Education is a tool, not a plaything.
I've got a niece that ended up at an out of state private college for 4 years taking some esoteric major. Ended up with $95K in loans and is a receptionist at a day care center.

Her mother NEVER sat her down and talked finances or reality of what a degree is all about because.."she should pursue her dreams". Well those dreams are costing her now and for the next decade at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies